Spinoff Poll: Are you planning on co-sleeping full-time... - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you planning on co-sleeping full-time once your baby is here?
Yes, the baby will sleep in my bed with me every night. 30 53.57%
Most of the time, but we also have a... (please indicate!) 15 26.79%
No, the baby will be sleeping in a bassinet or basket in our room. 5 8.93%
No, the baby will be sleeping in a baby hammock in our room. 1 1.79%
No, the baby will sleep in a bassinet or crib in his/her own room. 3 5.36%
Other (please specify!) 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...once your baby is born? If not, where will your baby sleep?

I noted in my response on the "Help me decide" thread (re: baby hammocks) that I had not decided whether I am getting one or not.
#2 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM

the baby will co-sleep with us, but in the very beginning will be in a bassinet by my side of the bed. with ds, dh had to wake me when ds cried (of course, i was recovering from surgery and won't be this time, so that might have been the issue). i just want to make sure i am aware of the baby before we bring him into bed.
#3 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Yes, but we also have an Arm's Reach co-sleeper. I don't know if that is considered full on co-sleeping?? I like to have a place to put the baby for naps and um... other times . People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them my son never had a crib. lol. Of course, sometimes he still sneaks in our bed and he is almost 8.
#4 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM

You'll figure out what works with your family. Don't get too bent out of shape 'deciding', as these things tend to work themselves out.

With our first (in what I lovingly call the "duh" years), we assumed that a baby slept in a crib. Then laziness and a desire for calm in our house brought him into our bed most of the time.

With our second, we had a bassinet for when baby dropped off to sleep and I didn't want to lay down (we have big kids, so a bassinet is kind of silly - it only fits for a couple of weeks), then I would either come to bed once kiddo was hungry, or I would bring him to bed when I was tired. It worked very well.

Now we have a DVR for our satellite and I'm content to stay in be for the first 8-10 months or so
(I can finally catch up on all that TV I've missed in the last 5 years!).
j/k.

We'll co-sleep, and find other arrangements when it's suitable. We still bedshare quite a bit with our 3-yo, but our 6-yo only wants in when he's sick.
#5 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsanti View Post
Yes, but we also have an Arm's Reach co-sleeper. I don't know if that is considered full on co-sleeping?? I like to have a place to put the baby for naps and um... other times . People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them my son never had a crib.
Ditto.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#6 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Isn't the baby next to your bed in a bassinet, cradle etc the same as co-sleeping (I thought it was), so I did not answer the poll. Baby will be next to us in a level co-sleeper Dh made & of course in bed when feeding.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#7 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
Isn't the baby next to your bed in a bassinet, cradle etc the same as co-sleeping (I thought it was), so I did not answer the poll. Baby will be next to us in a level co-sleeper Dh made & of course in bed when feeding.
Yes, I realized after I made the poll that I had forgotten about co-sleepers (duh!) that was one of the things I had also considered buying until I couldn't find one that would line up with our bed. Now we have our bed in a different room and there wouldn't even be room next to it for one, but yeah... sorry about that I did not mean to exclude anyone I just forgot and I don't know if I can edit it.

ETA: ack, sorry I'm such a freak for semantics, but I don't wanna offend anybody... I thought I should also say that I'm not trying to narrowly-define (or define at all) what co-sleeping is, since i'm far from any sort of authority, my wording was just based on the fact that if we co-sleep it will have to be shared bed, because there's no room next to our bed for any sort of sidecar arrangement; and so I was curious how many other people, specifically bedshare (because I can foresee problems with it, and as a result, wondered just how common it is) and used "co-sleep" to describe that, though in hindsight i recognize that some people use side-car arrangements or what-have-you and that is also considered co-sleeping.
#8 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Well, I put that baby would be in bed with us full-time, but we do plan to have a crib set up as a sidecar. The thing is, neither of our other kids have actually ever SLEPT in the sidecar. I just like having it there for extra elbow room and falling-off-the-bed security.
#9 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 PM

i plan to full time cosleep for the first few months but i also have a crib. i'll use the crib here and there when babe is easy to put down (ie probably mostly naps during the day).

of course it depends on the babe. some sleep better on their own. some will only sleep touching you. whatever affords ME the greatest amount of sleep will be what we do
#10 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM

I'd like to say that we'll use the bassinet that we borrowed from a friend, but I know better This one will end up in bed with us full time, just like our toddler (and just like my older son way before #2).

We *are* hoping to transition our toddler to his toddler bed soonish, but I also realize that if it doesn't happen, like, NOW, it is best to try it after the new babe is here, so he doesn't correlate being 'kicked out' of our bed with the arrival of his baby brother. However, I am so NOT looking forward to sharing our queen size bed with our restless toddler AND a newb. Yikes.

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#11 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 PM

I always just assume the baby will sleep in our bed. I never had a kid prefer to be anywhere else!
#12 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM

we have a co-sleeper, if needed.

stephanie asl.gif

#13 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 PM

I ticked other because I"m flexible

I plan on cosleeping full time for about the first 6 weeks (at night) I have a hanging hammock for naps or for baby's early bedtime when I"m not ready to hit the sack yet.

After the first 6-8 weeks I really like to put the baby down for the first "shift" of the night not in my bed after that its a free for all, some nights we end up on the couch (were I fall asleep from exhaustion) some nights baby is in our bed some nights baby is in bed with dad and other kids and I'm in their bed you know we adapt

It all depends on what kind of baby we have and how their personality meshes with sleep
#14 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
whatever affords ME the greatest amount of sleep will be what we do
yes I would say this is my motto
#15 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 PM

we have a bassinet. it was given to us. we will use it for when i need the baby to be somewhere safe and every once in a while when the baby sleeps. but really the baby is on me 98% of the time anyway

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#16 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 PM

I figure we'll co-sleep in the early weeks just to try and get maximum rest, but I do really want something else to put baby down to sleep in I really don't know what tho--the amby-type things look really cool, but um yeah, not really an option for me pricewise. I figure I can get a bassinet or something at first, and then a toddler/twin mattress after that

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#17 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 PM

[QUOTE=QuiteLikeRain;7575659
We *are* hoping to transition our toddler to his toddler bed soonish, but I also realize that if it doesn't happen, like, NOW, it is best to try it after the new babe is here, so he doesn't correlate being 'kicked out' of our bed with the arrival of his baby brother. However, I am so NOT looking forward to sharing our queen size bed with our restless toddler AND a newb. Yikes.[/QUOTE]

When I had my second, my first slept on the floor on a twin mattress. It was quite a sight, him on the floor on one side and the cosleeper on the other side. Oh, our dog was there too at the foot of the bed. LOL. It worked for us for a while until we moved both boys to a room together. I guess none of us like to sleep alone.
#18 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well given that I have had 4 children with moderate to severe reflux we plan on this one not being any different except this time around we are getting an Amby. Once the baby gets bigger I am not sure what we will do partially co-sleep and I am not sure what else. My biggest concern is nap time...without me laying down with her where will she sleep and maybe it will not be a big deal at all. We will see.

Heidi
#19 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 PM

The baby normally sleeps with me in bed for the first few weeks as none of my kids have ever done well being separated from me at first.

I then normally transfer over to a bassinet thats right next to my side of the bed.

The baby sleeps in our room for over a year.

My #2 dd cant wait till the baby will be old enough to sleep with her.

My oldest has our 2yo sleeping with her as the 2yo doesn't like sleeping by herself.
#20 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Well, with my last two kids, we did full time, in my bed, cosleeping. But with twins, I also got a little twin pack n play bassinet to put by my bed in case I need to be able to rotate them in and out while they're still really tiny. But once they're a few months old, I hope they'll just be in bed with me full time.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#21 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM

I had both my previous babies in bed with us, the first one until he was 4 and the second one until he was 2 or so, so I assume it will be the same with this babe.

But yes, whatever gets everyone the most sleep is what we'll do.

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (due in May)
#22 of 44 Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Oh, I do have a porta crib that I got with my first baby and plan on using that downstairs for the first couple weeks as a safe place to put the baby when I have to go to the bathroom/make dinner/whatever.
#23 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 02:25 AM

We will co-sleep full time like we did before. We just got my daughter her own bed a little after she turned 3 and she sleeps there most of the time. It's in our room but across from our bed, so she has to get down from her bed and walk about six feet to get in bed with us (and vice versa!). Sometimes my husband decides to sleep on the couch - even if she's in her bed - he gets a better night's sleep that way (Oh, and isn't THAT so important! LOL).

Earlier in my pregnancy I was sure I was going to get a Happy Hangup. But now I haven't ordered it yet and just don't feel like it will get that much use. We have a hammock chair I can put the baby in for naps downstairs, or I can just rig up a hook and some fabric to make my own little hammock if I need/want to. Most likely I'll just wear the baby or plop it on the couch and hope a dog or my daughter doesn't step on it. My daughter slept on the couch for naps and evenings a lot and never got stepped on, so hopefully that will be true for this next one too.

If I were choosing between the Happy Hangup and the Amby, I'd totally get the Happy Hangup and NOT get a stand - I'd just put some hooks up around the house. I wouldn't take anything with me when traveling. One of the BEST things about traveling AP-style is the lack of stuff you have to bring with you, including anywhere for the baby to sleep!!! There are those ebay ones, too, which look cool - I'd get the one that has the spring with it as long as I was getting something.
#24 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 AM

We've always co-slept from the beginning and plan to do so this time as well. However, I'm really grasping at straws to try to find something that the babe will sleep in occassionally so I can get some rest myself. Especially as she gets a little older and for naps during the day. Our last babe and co-sleeping left me a frazzled, exhausted mess so I'm hoping to do some preventative work on that this time.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#25 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Aagh I'm so conflicted about this one. Part of me would love to just co-sleep all the time and assume it will be fine, the rest of me is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED about rolling over onto her, pushing her out...no matter what people say, I am a fidgety sleeper, so is my boyfriend, and we have both done each other injuries in our sleep before. Exposing a newborn to that just seems silly. Plus I worry about opportunity for snuggling etc with DP...I like naked frisky hugging...
We have a crib, second hand and given to us by a friend so no outlay there. We haven't put it up yet, and I'm still debating whether when we do it should be as a sidecar, or just very close to the bed. She will be in our room for the forseeable future, that's definite. I haven't discussed sidecarring with DP yet, not sure how he'll feel about it. Maybe we should just put it up seperately, so that we can either have her in with us, or if that's not working out, she can be in a seperate bed but close by.
#26 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Most likely I'll just wear the baby or plop it on the couch and hope a dog or my daughter doesn't step on it. My daughter slept on the couch for naps and evenings a lot and never got stepped on, so hopefully that will be true for this next one too.
Yep, I forgot that I tend to put baby on the couch a lot during the day when I'm not slinging. Sometimes I'll lay on couch with baby, nursing side-lying, and when he's good and out I'll replace me with a pillow and hurry get a shower or something LOL!

Quote:
I wouldn't take anything with me when traveling. One of the BEST things about traveling AP-style is the lack of stuff you have to bring with you, including anywhere for the baby to sleep!!!
Yep, I totally remember with my first having a cousin who had a baby six days after me, and we were all on a family reunion in a hotel. Her toddler slept horribly because it wasn't home, they were exhausted by the second day, all of them. My toddler slept great, because all he ever needed was to be snuggled next to mom to sleep, because that's how it was at home.

Might be anecdotal, but it helped me be extremely happy with our cosleeping arrangement.
#27 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 12:01 PM

We will co-sleep but also have a floor bed in the nursury for her. Both our bed and the one in her prepared environment are low to the ground, so we imagine she will go back and forth between the two after a while, or her own accord.

Grace Comes.

#28 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatee View Post
Aagh I'm so conflicted about this one. Part of me would love to just co-sleep all the time and assume it will be fine, the rest of me is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED about rolling over onto her, pushing her out...no matter what people say, I am a fidgety sleeper, so is my boyfriend, and we have both done each other injuries in our sleep before. Exposing a newborn to that just seems silly. Plus I worry about opportunity for snuggling etc with DP...I like naked frisky hugging...
We have a crib, second hand and given to us by a friend so no outlay there. We haven't put it up yet, and I'm still debating whether when we do it should be as a sidecar, or just very close to the bed. She will be in our room for the forseeable future, that's definite. I haven't discussed sidecarring with DP yet, not sure how he'll feel about it. Maybe we should just put it up seperately, so that we can either have her in with us, or if that's not working out, she can be in a seperate bed but close by.
I'm with you on the rolling over (etc.) part. DH and I both have sleep disorders so I don't think having the baby in bed with us is an option. Everyone says "Oh that's where he's going to end up!" so I registered for one of those Arms Reach Co-sleepers but I think we're going to stay firm with not having baby in bed with us -- for the baby's sake.

I'm also with you on the naked frisky hugging -- and spooning for us. We definitely want to balance "parent time" with family time. Especially in bed, one of our favorite places! We'll see how it goes...
#29 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 PM

I'm hoping to have the baby in a bassinet next to our bed. With dd, I woke her every time I tried to sneak out of bed in the morning, and I like to get up earlier than everyone else and have a shower etc so I feel ready for the day. I also ended up with wicked back problems because I never seemed to sleep in a comfortable position. But really, you can make all the plans in the world, and in the end you do what the baby needs
#30 of 44 Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocks_box View Post
Yep, I totally remember with my first having a cousin who had a baby six days after me, and we were all on a family reunion in a hotel. Her toddler slept horribly because it wasn't home, they were exhausted by the second day, all of them. My toddler slept great, because all he ever needed was to be snuggled next to mom to sleep, because that's how it was at home.
Too true! My dd's dad started taking her overnight when she was around 15 months and he coslept with her at his house. It didn't matter where she was, she slept well because all the adults that took care of her (his mom, my mom, him etc) all just put her in bed with them. The only things I ever packed when we were going away was diapers, clothes and the sling. I'll admit smirking to myself about the things other people had to tote around for their kids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page