used car seat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
 
mum4boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
cool, my husband is an aircraft structures mechanic although he doesn't xray anything for me but the kids think the planes are cool

Hmm maybe you need him to start...my favorite though is nice and shiney oven racks. In fact I am always contimplating that we actually need that machine.

Heidi
mum4boys is offline  
#32 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
 
ewins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On a rainy island
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm too of the mind that no I wouldn't buy a used carseat. Its one of those things that I'd rather spend the money on to be sure it was safe.

Around here thrift stores will sell the bucket seats but not convertible car seats. I'm not sure the difference b/c they are both car seats?!

How scary for you andn your family. Thank God that your son and you weren't hurt. And how sad that someone took the seat out of the trash. I couldn't imagine that someone would do that. But I guess some people just don't know how dangerous it really is to do that.
ewins24 is offline  
#33 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
 
mum4boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our insurance company disposed of our carseat for us.

Ironically, I went to a car seat safety check when my youngest was a few weeks old. I knew the seat was just not right. Anyway it took 5 hours yes 5 hours to get the seat installed properly (I beleive in no movement of the seat). The people running the check had to call Ford and so on. My kids were starving. Our apt was at 9 am and we left at 2 pm. I had to go to the ATM to get money for lunch. I could not reach the ATM from my seat so I took off my seatbelt and reached out the window. Well the ATM was located with the drive through and it was a huge long drive way. Some woman was talking on her cell phone not paying attention slammed right into us doing 35 miles an hour. Anyway, kids were all okay because they were in their seatbelts and car seats. The paramedics said I should have Liam checked out because he was a newborn and the impact was right where he was at and I had to be checked since I did not have a seatbelt on. Anyway, after a few weeks we were all fine. I did go purschase the same carseat since we had just learned how to install it correctly.

Heidi
mum4boys is offline  
#34 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
 
Synchro246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
And how sad that someone took the seat out of the trash. I couldn't imagine that someone would do that. But I guess some people just don't know how dangerous it really is to do that.
I saw what I thought was a Britax marathon in the trash the other day. I was sooooooo tempted to steal the cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Our insurance company disposed of our carseat for us.

Ironically, I went to a car seat safety check when my youngest was a few weeks old. I knew the seat was just not right. Anyway it took 5 hours yes 5 hours to get the seat installed properly (I beleive in no movement of the seat). The people running the check had to call Ford and so on. My kids were starving. Our apt was at 9 am and we left at 2 pm. I had to go to the ATM to get money for lunch. I could not reach the ATM from my seat so I took off my seatbelt and reached out the window. Well the ATM was located with the drive through and it was a huge long drive way. Some woman was talking on her cell phone not paying attention slammed right into us doing 35 miles an hour. Anyway, kids were all okay because they were in their seatbelts and car seats. The paramedics said I should have Liam checked out because he was a newborn and the impact was right where he was at and I had to be checked since I did not have a seatbelt on. Anyway, after a few weeks we were all fine. I did go purschase the same carseat since we had just learned how to install it correctly.
My goodness the timing!!! I can't believe it took techs 5 hours to get the seat in right. I don't know if I would have been so persistant Did it take a a lot of effort to install it after you learned how, or was it something weird that you just needed to know in order to do it? :

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Synchro246 is offline  
#35 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
 
mum4boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
My goodness the timing!!! I can't believe it took techs 5 hours to get the seat in right. I don't know if I would have been so persistant Did it take a a lot of effort to install it after you learned how, or was it something weird that you just needed to know in order to do it? :
It was just something weird with the seatbelts. I am so glad I went. They had suggested at one point that we could go and they would call when they finnd out the answer. But I really did not feel safe driving with the car seat the way it was. I guess I had that feeling.

Heidi
mum4boys is offline  
#36 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Krystal323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In a world of dreams
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW, that is some crazy timing

ITA, no used carseats here--I'll penny-pinch on just about anything else (within reason of course ), but carseats, I will spend my last dollar on.

www.car-seat.org has very good forums and links about everything you could possibly think of re: carseats

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Krystal323 is offline  
#37 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
 
Willzmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
What annoys me is that I gave/lent our infant seat to someone who didn't have one, thinking that she would use it for 6 mos then return it. Well, it didn't happen that way, last time I ran into her her babe was 7 mos old and she was still using it (dd outgrew it young) and "I don't have the base, I don't know what happened, it just fell apart." She was willing to give back the seat but I said no thanks. Sigh.
Yeah, I loaned DS's infant seat and base to my cousin. (My DS only used it 4 months, maybe?) 4 years later she asks if I want it back! She didn't even use it for her new baby born in December - she said they got another one!
Willzmama is offline  
#38 of 40 Old 03-24-2007, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
richella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: middle of nowhere, KS
Posts: 2,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
was in a massive car accident where someone in the other car was killed. He was unharmed, the only one who walked away from the accident.

Of course after that accident I threw the carseat away, but someone stole it out of the dumpster
Well, I had pretty much decided before I read your post, but this one clinched it!
richella is offline  
#39 of 40 Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wouldn't buy one used. There are cheap infant seats out there that can be bought new, depending on your budget. We just bought a Snugride for $70 from Target...but I've seen other brands for much cheaper.
Adamsmama is offline  
#40 of 40 Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
 
bocks_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would not from someone I didn't know.

My plan this time is to put the baby in the Marathon my 4-1/2 year old is currently using.

I am buying a used Parkway to put my 4-1/2 year old in, but I know who I'm buying it from, she's a friend and more of a car-safety freak than I am, so I know it's not been wrecked or abused in any way.

I still have my 7-1/2 year old in a booster, so it'll be fun fitting all their seats in the car. Or (fingers crossed) maybe we'll be able to buy a minivan by then!
bocks_box is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off