used car seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything I've heard is that one should never buy a used car seat unless you know and trust the owner well. Then at last appt. the nurse recommended a couple consignment stores that carry them. I was surprised, but she seemed to think that everyone buying only new seats was extreme and impractical, esp. for people with multiple kids. Opinions?
#2 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't do it. I'd sooner, and I did, buy a more moderately priced seat new. I bought an Evenflo Triumph I think for $140 in late 2003 before my daughter was born - a convertible seat so I didn't have to buy an infant seat and then a convertible seat - and used it until she was over 3 years old. I will also use it for this next baby for a few weeks/months until I buy it a nicer seat.
#3 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 01:47 AM

NO do not buy used seats!!! You do not know their history, especially from a consignment store. That nurse needs some serious education!!!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 02:33 AM

: i did get a used convertible seat for ds when he outgrew the infant seat. true i don't know the history for sure (got it off of e-bay) but i could not afford $100+ bucks for new. (paid half that including shipping). i'll be getting another when we have another (we'll skip the infant seat entirely next time though)
#5 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 AM

I also bought a used carseat. I am fairly certain the seller was honest with me about it- she lived in practically a mansion and said she used it for her grand-daughter that she saw for 2 weeks a year. I believe her. I got a Britax Roundabout, practically un-used, other than about 2 months TOTAL for $100.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#6 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got my car seat from a moms of multiples group. My DH's cousin helps run it. I just dont have the money. I know the history of the seat so Im not worried.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#7 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM

I tried to donate our convertible seat when we upgraded and no one would take it. Apparently stores around here are not allowed to resell them.

I would take a used seat if I knew the people who owned it. I gave our extra seat to my BIL since it was only a year old and we only used it for flying (Britax seats are %$#@^& heavy and I hate lugging them through the airport).
#8 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 AM

I bought a used infant seat from craigslist and I feel confident about it. I asked a lot of questions about it, didn't pay for it until I looked it over, met the couple selling it, etc. I could have gotten one new for about $10 more than I paid, but it would have been a 3-point instead of a 5.

Our local consignment store does sell them, but the ones that I have looked at in there are not in great shape and 95% of them are expired or VERY expired.
#9 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't buy used, personally, but I figure the money I spend now (and have spent in the past) will go a long ways because, barring any car accidents, we will be able to re-use the seats for all the kids. The infant seat doesn't expire until 2011 and if we're not done having kids by then : !!! I might have to buy a new booster eventually, but they're relatively cheap.

Oh, and if I DID buy a used seat it would most certainly be from someone that I know and that I know will be honest with me about the history.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#10 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 AM

The lady at the local consignment store here told me that they do not take used car seats for legal reasons. I got the implication from her that they are prohibited by law from reselling them, but maybe she just meant they didn't want to open themselves up to liability.

Either way, I personally -- this is just me -- would not purchase one used. Now, if a trusted friend wanted to give me their old one, that would be fine. We actually got my son's infant carseat from a friend that way. But buying it from an unknown person, I would not feel comfortable with.
#11 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 AM

I wouldn't because as previous poster have said, you can't know the seat's history. It's the only item I would not buy used. IMO, if you can't afford a car seat, you can't afford to drive.

4 kids under 10
#12 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Car seats and underwear...

two things even I wouldn't buy used.
#13 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Costco makes a seat that rearfaces up to 35 pounds (the scenera touriva or something, I think it's called) and it sells for about $40-50 new. You can get an Evenflo Tribute or titan for 60ish bucks. That's cheaper than a lot of the used seats on the market. It's a perfectly good seat and that's the highest rear facing limit on the market.

Would I buy a used carseat? It really depends on the answer to the question Do I trust the seller's word enough to possibly stake my childs life on it? That may sound extreme, but knowing that there ARE perfectly good seats on the market for cheap, and many states have ways to get free seats (usually you have to sit thru a class) I don't think it's unrealistic to encourage people to only buy new (or used from WELL trusted friends/family).
JMHO

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#14 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM

If you trust the person you're buying from w/ your child's life, then yes, it's o.k. IMO to buy a seat from them. I have sold seats before to friends, but they know they are o.k. as I'm a carseat tech. Carseats have a limited lifespan and are a one time use item, one crash and they shouldn't be reused. WAY too many people don't know that so you have no idea what you're buying. You can get a Cosco Scenera for $50 and unless your baby is under 7.5# or so, you can use it from birth to about age 3.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#15 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM

I would not buy from a store because you are disconnected from the owner entirely in that case. For someone you knew or who knew people you are close to, that would be fine. My SIL bought from a neighbor, I got one from a friend (Britax seats in both cases, so pricey).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#16 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't unless i knew the person selling very well. It killlllls me to buy something for full price, so I'm all about deal finding, but I'd be too nervous that the seller wasn't being honest w/ me about the condition of the seat.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#17 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM

I have no problem with used items for my babes except carseats. I guess if it were a friend I would be ok with it but for me investing in a seat is worth is, and since seats only have a 6 year shelf life dd#1 will use her marathon hopefully for the whole 6 years and dd#2 will get her own.

The only seat that both kids will use is probably the infant seat as I don't plan on moving dd#1 into a booster until she has outgrown the 65# weight limit on the marathon, 6 years and 65# is well worth the $250 we spent on the seat. $41.66 a year $.80 a week $.11 a day

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#18 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ditto to what everyone else says.
I will add one more thing...my dh xrays our car seats every couple of years for stress fractures and we have had one car seat that we got rid of because of the stress fractures and it was not in an car accident.
Walmart has a infant seat for $35.00.

Heidi
#19 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
I have no problem with used items for my babes except carseats. I guess if it were a friend I would be ok with it but for me investing in a seat is worth is, and since seats only have a 6 year shelf life dd#1 will use her marathon hopefully for the whole 6 years and dd#2 will get her own.

The only seat that both kids will use is probably the infant seat as I don't plan on moving dd#1 into a booster until she has outgrown the 65# weight limit on the marathon, 6 years and 65# is well worth the $250 we spent on the seat. $41.66 a year $.80 a week $.11 a day
I have a new best friend who enjoys doing pointless (well, *I* don't think it's pointless) calculations. Just today I thought that it was statistically probable for me to die with a calculator (or pencil and paper) in my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Ditto to what everyone else says.
I will add one more thing...my dh xrays our car seats every couple of years for stress fractures and we have had one car seat that we got rid of because of the stress fractures and it was not in an car accident.
Tell me more about x-raying the seats. How does he do this? Is he a tech or something?

~laura
#20 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Right, but it's a 3-point harness. Their cheapest 5-point is twice that.
#21 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 PM

My brother, who is a smart guy otherwise, mechanical and electrical engineer, bought his DD's infant car seat at a yard sale. And it looked OLD to me. And then he didn't even install it correctly. I would have thought, given his technical brain, that he'd understand the mechanics behind the infant car seats and recognize that any slack on the seat belt holding the seat down would be dangerous, but he didn't worry about it. And luckily they never had an accident. And when she outgrew the seat, they did spend some money on a new one. He is notoriously cheap so it must not have been yard sale season when they needed a bigger one!
#22 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post

Tell me more about x-raying the seats. How does he do this? Is he a tech or something?
My husband is an aircraft mechanic and he fixes jets and they have to xray different parts for the same reason for stress fractures, so he has always had access to the machine since we were first married (he is also able to make my oven racks nice and shiny with a different machine). I have not ever gone with him when he does it, he just takes the seat to work with him, so not sure if its the same technology they use medically or what. He is not home right now or I would ask him. (he is at work).

The bad news for us now, is he now builds jets instead of fixing them and I am not sure if he has access to the xray machine.

Heidi
#23 of 40 Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
My husband is an aircraft mechanic and he fixes jets and they have to xray different parts for the same reason for stress fractures, .
cool, my husband is an aircraft structures mechanic although he doesn't xray anything for me but the kids think the planes are cool
#24 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

What annoys me is that I gave/lent our infant seat to someone who didn't have one, thinking that she would use it for 6 mos then return it. Well, it didn't happen that way, last time I ran into her her babe was 7 mos old and she was still using it (dd outgrew it young) and "I don't have the base, I don't know what happened, it just fell apart." She was willing to give back the seat but I said no thanks. Sigh.
#25 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 AM

No, I wouldn't buy used.

:Mama to 2 :
#26 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM

and I guess i"ll answer the question. I wouldn't buy a used seat at all, I would borrow one from a friend if I knew it had been well taken care of.

but in my experience the cheap carseats do what they are supposed to do. I bought a cosco carseat (3 point with a t shield) for my oldest son installed it correctly and was in a massive car accident where someone in the other car was killed. He was unharmed, the only one who walked away from the accident.

Of course after that accident I threw the carseat away, but someone stole it out of the dumpster so who knows who unknowingly used it after it had been in a severe accident
#27 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
and I guess i"ll answer the question. I wouldn't buy a used seat at all, I would borrow one from a friend if I knew it had been well taken care of.

but in my experience the cheap carseats do what they are supposed to do. I bought a cosco carseat (3 point with a t shield) for my oldest son installed it correctly and was in a massive car accident where someone in the other car was killed. He was unharmed, the only one who walked away from the accident.

Of course after that accident I threw the carseat away, but someone stole it out of the dumpster so who knows who unknowingly used it after it had been in a severe accident

ACK! GOod to hear your son was unharmed. If I ever need to dispose of a car seat I will cut the harness and dispose of it seperately. I know some people reccomend cutting the shell, but I don't know how they expect one to do that :

~laura
#28 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
but in my experience the cheap carseats do what they are supposed to do.
: All seats sold in the US meet federal safety standards. Period. Whether they are $30 or $300. Also there are free car seat programs for those that qualify. You just need to look for them.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#29 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
ACK! GOod to hear your son was unharmed. If I ever need to dispose of a car seat I will cut the harness and dispose of it seperately. I know some people reccomend cutting the shell, but I don't know how they expect one to do that :
People pull them out of dumpsters & replace the webbing from either a craft store or an automotive store. You would be amazed at what people used to make car seats "work". Zip ties, bungie cords, rope. One way to dispose of a car seat is to take it & saw it in half. I have also heard of taking them to the local police station, & they will destroy it too.

Man MDC REALLY needs a car seat forum!!!!!!!!!!

#30 of 40 Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I would never dispose of a car seat now like I did then (11 years ago) I know so much more. But even at the time when I was very naive about car seat safety I was pretty freaked out when I noticed someone stole it from the dumpster I mean there is no way that seat's integrity was still intact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page