What does your cervix feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you've felt it lately. I can't figure it out.

I was mad at my cervix for a long time and I didn't want to confront her, but then I thought better of it.
Years ago she and I were well acquainted and we became good friends the year I went to midwifery school and practiced NFP. Then she let me down and I held a grudge for a while.

I was having some sensations that I thought might be cervical (sharp sorta--hard to describe) and I thought if I felt my cervix I could identify if that's where the sharp sensation was coming from.
I decided it was time to let bygones be by gones and I went to feel her and she was GONE! LOL, not really, but everything is so mushy in there that she's camoflauged realllllly well. I *think* I may have found her. I know a multip's cervix is not doughnut shaped, but has a slit instead of the hole. If what I was feeling was correct my slit is VERY wide. It's more like two flaps of lips. . .I'm not being clear.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Mine is all over the place. It's been up to 2 cm dilated. Sometimes it is posterior, other times anterior. She's not sure what she's doing. I just gave up on checking, she stresses me out sometimes!

I was having some PTL a while back and my MW checked my cervix and said it appears to be dilated on the outside but once you reach inside it is closed. Go figure. So maybe yours is like this too and that explains the "flaps" you are feeling.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 PM

I'm not help - Last I checked I could just barely reach the nearest side and it felt just a little firmer and raised than the rest of everything else in there. Couldn't tell if there was any dilating or anything going on but I'm guessing not since it is still so high and firm.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 PM

I just checked last night for the first time and it was indistinguishable from anything else in there - I don't think I felt it at all actually, which is OK with me.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM

I haven't felt mine yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 AM

mine is mushy, super posterior and very wide and flat (not wide open but wide in circumference)
Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
If you've felt it lately. I can't figure it out.

I was mad at my cervix for a long time and I didn't want to confront her, but then I thought better of it.
Years ago she and I were well acquainted and we became good friends the year I went to midwifery school and practiced NFP. Then she let me down and I held a grudge for a while.

I was having some sensations that I thought might be cervical (sharp sorta--hard to describe) and I thought if I felt my cervix I could identify if that's where the sharp sensation was coming from.
I decided it was time to let bygones be by gones and I went to feel her and she was GONE! LOL, not really, but everything is so mushy in there that she's camoflauged realllllly well. I *think* I may have found her. I know a multip's cervix is not doughnut shaped, but has a slit instead of the hole. If what I was feeling was correct my slit is VERY wide. It's more like two flaps of lips. . .I'm not being clear.
Up until last week or so my cervix felt like a spillproof sippy cup cover (the silicone ones ). It was way back but if I was in the right position I could find it. it was great at hiding though LOL. Im pretty sure at this point Im dilated to about a 2. its way forward and accessible and open kind of. kind of like a donut but really soft and squishy

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM

well i'm about to give way to much info here. I have small hands and cannot feel my cervix. most are about 4 inches back well mine is almost 6 inches back. most doctors that don't have long fingers have trouble assessing me. I do know that i'm alreading strating to dialate. I'm at least 1 cm.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Mine has been super mushy and flat all along. It was firm and long during pregnancy before so this is different. I started getting the sharp cervical pains about a month ago and have noticed some funneling but it's still closed on the inside.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
Up until last week or so my cervix felt like a spillproof sippy cup cover (the silicone ones ). It was way back but if I was in the right position I could find it. it was great at hiding though LOL. Im pretty sure at this point Im dilated to about a 2. its way forward and accessible and open kind of. kind of like a donut but really soft and squishy
Ok, i just love the comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04 View Post
Mine has been super mushy and flat all along. It was firm and long during pregnancy before so this is different. I started getting the sharp cervical pains about a month ago and have noticed some funneling but it's still closed on the inside.
Two questions: 1) what exactly is funneling? What exactly does it feel like (upon examination)?
2)so those sharp weird pangs I was feeling--they ARE cervical, right? Is it associated with cervical change? I didn't have even one of those sensations last time during my pregnancy and upon PROM I was just 1cm dialated and not really effaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Mine is all over the place. It's been up to 2 cm dilated. Sometimes it is posterior, other times anterior. She's not sure what she's doing. I just gave up on checking, she stresses me out sometimes!

I was having some PTL a while back and my MW checked my cervix and said it appears to be dilated on the outside but once you reach inside it is closed. Go figure. So maybe yours is like this too and that explains the "flaps" you are feeling.
My concept of spacial relationships isn't doing so well once my fingers go in my vagina. A posterior cervix will feel "way back there" right? I feel one side, the slit, and then I have to reach REALLY far to get the next side. If it were anterior the two sides and the slit would feel on the same plane right?

I wasn't about to put my fingers in the slit. We are JUST getting reaquainted. . .I'll wait until the second or third date.

~laura
Old 03-23-2007, 06:53 AM

mine is posterior, firm and looong. weird....:

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
My concept of spacial relationships isn't doing so well once my fingers go in my vagina. A posterior cervix will feel "way back there" right? I feel one side, the slit, and then I have to reach REALLY far to get the next side. If it were anterior the two sides and the slit would feel on the same plane right?

I wasn't about to put my fingers in the slit. We are JUST getting reaquainted. . .I'll wait until the second or third date.
when my cervix was posterior it was kind of like tucked up and the opening was along the same plane almost verticle if that makes sense.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
when my cervix was posterior it was kind of like tucked up and the opening was along the same plane almost verticle if that makes sense.
I think so--the plane you talk of is the Y axis and I was talking of the X axis I think. ?
LOL
I tired to feel it again and I have another question.

When a multip's cervix is measured in cm, is the legnth of the slit a consideration, or is the width of the slit the factor.
I think my outer os dialated (NO clue how much), but the inner os is closed as far as I could tell (I didn't want to push the date too far).

~laura
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 PM

My MW said it was normal for a multip to have a cervix that was partially open on the outside then closed on the inside. A true 1 cm will be open all the way through.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM

I checked myself the other day and my cervix was still up high and hard.

Grace Comes.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Mine is posterior and super, super mushy. I'm probably halfway effaced - but the weird thing is, once it moves anterior, it will be right at the vaginal os. There isn't anywhere for baby to travel through once out the cervix. I didn't want to muck around too much in there since it's so soft, but I'm dilating a bit now.

I also found a little head not too far up - I have no idea about guessing station, but it's so reassuring to feel a hard little head up there. Like, it really is a baby, not an octopus!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Why are you all checking your cervixes? Just out of curiousity or to check for dilation or what?

ILANA
Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilana View Post
Why are you all checking your cervixes? Just out of curiousity or to check for dilation or what?

ILANA
I'm not so much checking as checking in. I am a sexual abuse survivor and I know that my body and I get along much better when I am comfortable getting around in it. Feeling my cervix at different times of cycle, of pregnancy, and after birth makes my body and I like each other and act like one.

It's very much different than anyone else 'checking' my cervix (which I don't allow, FWIW.)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Gina View Post
I'm not so much checking as checking in. I am a sexual abuse survivor and I know that my body and I get along much better when I am comfortable getting around in it. Feeling my cervix at different times of cycle, of pregnancy, and after birth makes my body and I like each other and act like one.

It's very much different than anyone else 'checking' my cervix (which I don't allow, FWIW.)
I was trying to think of how to say it. . .but that sums it up for me, except I don't have the sexual abuse thing, just eating disorders and that crappy last birth experience fueling my need to be friendly with my own body.

~laura
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I was trying to think of how to say it. . .but that sums it up for me, except I don't have the sexual abuse thing, just eating disorders and that crappy last birth experience fueling my need to be friendly with my own body.
im with synchro and doula gina on this one. Im in much the same boats, with similar issues. I feel like if I am aware of my body it will make things much easier in the end, then I wont fight it. I need to be gentle with myself, to comfort myself and to know myself. I dissconnect far too easily. does that make sense?

User Tag List