Who is planning on tandem nursing with this babe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering who is in for the fun ride of tandeming with me? I'm getting a little nervous about it. (can you tell from my sig?)

DD doesn't nurse at night anymore, but we have a few sessions during the day. And I've heard they tend to regress a little when the new babe comes. So I wonder if we are going to be majorly upping our nusing sessions. As it is, I only have colostrum right now, so I'm sure she'll react differently when the milk comes back in. I just hope she'll understand that the baby needs num-nums, too, and that, unfortunately the baby needs them first.

For all the BTDT mama's how did it work for you in the begining?

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 07:58 PM

I did it for a year - Jody was almost 3 when Jaden was born and almost 4 when he weaned.

I found it to be very difficult, and I thought it would be easy! However, I have a good friend tandeming now who thought it would be difficult, and is having a very easy time of it.

I think the key is to try not to feel guilty about setting limits WRT nursing with your toddler. Knowing it's OK to only nurse at certain times or places, or for certain lengths of time. Knowing that your toddler won't like those limits, but toddlers don't like limits in general, and that's OK (and even beneficial).

If I had it to do all over (and I don't, Jaden weaned in February at 4-1/2), I'd lose a lot of the guilt I carried around for not nursing my toddler unlimited like a newborn, and just try to enjoy that last year I had nursing him.

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (due in May)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 PM

i don't know...ds weaned about 2 mos. into this pregnancy but he is definitely letting me know he wants to nurse again...i just haven't let him. i am normally a decisive person, but i just can't seem to make my mind up about this one.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM

I'm planning on doing it. DD will be 2 years 9 months when baby comes. She nurses at night, nap and in the AM. I'm kind of scared about my milk supply and how DD will react with sharing.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i will be my youngest ds will be just over 2.5. he only nurses in the am and naps and sometimes before bed.im nervous I have no idea what to expect but Im excited too. ive always wanted to try this.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 AM

I don't think I have much choice in the matter at this point. I'm hoping that the tandem aspect will be a daytime thing. I'm a bit nervous about nights.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 03-27-2007, 01:18 AM

I haven't nursed my son in almost 8 weeks. I've been too sick to nurse him. the other day I fell asleep with no shirt on . He came in to bed with us some time in the morning and I woke up to find him latched on and quite happy

So as soon as this baby is born I will probably be tandem feeding
Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 AM

My son will be 3 and is still nursing so I expect to be tandem nursing too. I'm really nervous. I had a hard time nursing my son and I hope that I don't have those same problems with this child. Of course since my son is still nursing, he can help with my milk.

I am due at the end of the month, so I guess I can't help too much unless she decides to come early.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 AM

Lauren is still nursing although quite infrequent only once every 2 or 3 days of course sometimes its once a day.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I don't buy into these claims that it reduces sibling rivalry, I've never tandemed before and my toddlers have never been angry with the new baby or jealous.

I also get chronic mastitis I think related to my abundant milk supply and I think nursing two babies will make it worse.

I really hope Lauren doesn't pick up more nursing sessions when the baby gets here, but we'll have to see how it goes
Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 AM

I will be. Delia will be 3.5 and nurses to sleep at night. Very very very rarely another time, like in the morning or afternoon. I'm just trying to look on the bright side. I figure I've gotten this far nursing while pregnant which has had some pain involved, that I can do tandem too. I did NOT want to get pregnant while she was still nursing but we also didn't want to have kids much farther apart and I wasn't/aren't willing to wean her. So...

Bright sides:
1. Older baby can drink foremilk, giving newborn more hindmilk and hopefully reducing/avoiding any jaundice whatsoever. (Fat in hindmilk carries out the jaundice junk. Scientific, eh? )
2. I didn't wean my daughter because of something _I_ did. I am letting her wean herself, which means a lot to me.

In the past few days she's been pretending to be a pig, so I've been telling her she's Wilbur but because it's just her, she doesn't have to be a runt and can nurse. And that I have two nipples, so both she and the baby can nurse and no one is left out. Then she was pretending to nurse on my belly, like I was a pig with a ton of nipples. I talk about us being mammals, that we nurse our babies, and I talk as much as possible about how SHE nursed all the time when she was little, etc. Trying to make her realize (futile as it may be) that even though it's going to seem like all I'm doing in nursing this d*mn baby, I'm treating it the same way I treated HER. That she got all this love and attention also, etc etc etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 AM

dd weand herself (i lost my milk completely right after i had the BFP), but she is only 20 mo, so i will try to offer her again, we will see.
i am more than willing to tandem nurse!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
on a cute note. I was talking with sam about when the baby comes, and how the baby will need nuniies too. I asked if he was going to share. he said no, pointed to the other breast, and said "deres twoooo mummy" cant argue with that. He is night weaned so night nursings for him isnt really an option

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 PM

We plan on tandem nursing. 27 mo. old dd is VERY attached to "num-nums" and nurses alot, but i think it will be a great way for the two to bond. technically, nursing while pg is considered tandem nursing so we're doing it already!! my big fear was/is that my supply will be compromised during pg and she'll lose interest. i know weaning is inevitable, but i want it to be on her terms, not bc she's not getting what she needs. so far, so good, though.
i don't have any romantasized (sp?) notions of how it ill be with two, many times i feel very overwhelmed, but these things have they're own way of working out.

good luck to everyone!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM

DS hasn't nursed in well over a month at all. he was occassionally nursing at naptime when i was desperate to get him to sleep. he still comes up and sits on what's left of my lap and nuzzles me, so i'm sure i'll be doing some tandem nursing. he is nightweaned though, so i'm thankful for that. i'm kind of excited about this prospect of tandem nursing, although I don't know that I would be if we were still getting up upteen times a night to nurse him back down to sleep like we were last year. as a during the day thing, just because he wants too for comfort/the experience that's cool w/ me.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
I also get chronic mastitis I think related to my abundant milk supply and I think nursing two babies will make it worse.
I randomly ran into my former LC a while ago and she said her experience is that having a nursing toddler helps tremendously with using up oversupply... so hopefully that's true for you. (I don't know why she told me this... I went though herculean struggles to have enough for DS1 I am worried about DS1 drinking more than his fair share of DS2's milk).

Oh and while we are here, I just want to say that I DETEST nursing through pregnancy, and hope to never do it again. I can can only imagine and hope that tandeming must be less awful. And I loved my nursing time with DS1 before getting pg

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I assumed I would be judging by how DD was nursing, but it's been a slow weaning since I got pg and she hasn't nursed at all for about a month now. And the 2-3 weeks before that it was only once per night and nothing during the day. She'll have just turned 2 when this babe comes (assuming she comes on time) and so I'm curious if she'll show some renewed interest. If she does, well, then I guess I'll be tandeming it too!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I randomly ran into my former LC a while ago and she said her experience is that having a nursing toddler helps tremendously with using up oversupply... so hopefully that's true for you. (I don't know why she told me this... I went though herculean struggles to have enough for DS1 I am worried about DS1 drinking more than his fair share of DS2's milk).
Tandeming can also help with undersupply - the more nipple stimulation and emptying of the breast you get, the more milk you make. So hopefully, that's true for you! (((HUGS)))

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (due in May)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 AM

DD is one year (tomorrow) and still nursing but not as much- usually morning, naptime and before bed. I was hoping to nurse right through until DS is born, but OB recommended weaning DD! I really don't know if I can do that! How is the milk affected for new baby? Ie. does it contain enough nutrients or is is customized to baby who is currently nursing?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnybee View Post
DD is one year (tomorrow) and still nursing but not as much- usually morning, naptime and before bed. I was hoping to nurse right through until DS is born, but OB recommended weaning DD! I really don't know if I can do that! How is the milk affected for new baby? Ie. does it contain enough nutrients or is is customized to baby who is currently nursing?
Your milk will always be customized for your newest baby. Expect your toddler to have runny colostrum poops for a couple days.

And what the heck did your doctor base his recommendation on? Lots of doctors recommend weaning the older child, but really have no scientific evidence to back it up - they just have some vague notion that it might be harmful based on cultural mores. Nursing your toddler is a good thing, for as long as you and he choose to do it!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM

DS is almost 4 and almost weaned. He still is very attached to my breasts, though! He likes to stick his head down my shirt and "smell the na-na smell". We've talked a lot about how the baby will need lots and lots of na-nas. I've told him he could have some, too, if he wants, but that he's really getting to be a big boy and he might not want any. But I've heard about older sibs regressing, and whereas he does still ask to nurse sometimes at bedtime - it's only for a few seconds - I've got nothin' in there right now - I figure his interest will be renewed once there's milk and a baby! We shall see...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Haven't done it before, but expect to. dd will be about 30 mos, and she's cut back greatly with the low supply and me limiting her time to 10 mins/session, but with more milk and less pain on my part I expect she will continue with zeal.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 AM

DS is 17.5 mos and I am sooooooo excited to have the milk come back in so he can nurse again. It went away fairly early in the pregnancy and while he still "nurses" I don't think anything comes out. Maybe colostrum? I feel like I've been depriving my baby of his nutritious milk so not long now! He's night weaned so I'm not at all worried about that. He's a spirited non sleeping baby and about a month or two ago I moved out of the bedroom and DH took over night duty and we're all happier...I get a few mos of sleep before the new baby comes, DH loves the close time he gets to spend with DS before he gets to big for that kind of thing (dh works a lot) and DS comes running out of |the big bedroom" in the morning into the "baby play room" and snuggles and nurses with me on the bed in there before I make breakfast, it will be so great when there is milk to give him. His daytime behaviour is better too. I don't get it, but DH says he's sucking up to me because he's not with me at night. The new baby and I will sleep in there I think until DS is a better night sleeper, and until we see what this new one will be like.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread! I never got to nurse my daughter normally. From lots of difficult circumstances I exclusively pumped for her for a year. She will be 2 and a half when this baby gets here. We have been talking about baby sister nursing and I have shown her with baby dolls what it will look like. She lately, has been asking if she can have milk too. I am totally open to this but how will I go about it? I mean, it's not like she will know how to latch on properly, or will that even be something I need to worry about? I know that as of now she says she wants to have mommy's milk too which I am thirlled about I just don't know how it will work since she's not a nursling alum.

Any suggestions or advice for me?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 PM

I will be tandem nursing...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 PM

I am facing the possibilty of triandem nursing. Luckily my older nursling only nurses every couple of days now that he has all of his teeth.I lurked on the multiples board to get ideas on positioning two young ones since most info I found was for 2 year olds and older.Since they were 16 months apart time limits don't always work.I used lots of pillows and took up the couch in the begining and then latched the new one on and then let the older one to come to me.At night time I would stack the new one on top of the older one or roll from one to the other.When were out and about I found sitting on the floor against a wall helped when I didn't have any pillows.Sometimes I did try to cover but most of the time I was so covered by children that noone knew what I was doing even when they were looking at me and talking to me.
I loved having the older nursling because he drained my breasts when I got engorged and there was always plenty for my newborn.I also hardly leaked during growth spurts.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

User Tag List