What's best birth clothing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds silly i guess, but Ive been trying to figure out what to wear to the birth center as well as home. Will I be naked most of the time? Would a robe be most useful? Can't I wear nursing pajamas for the ride home? My midwife's checklist says "something for mom to wear home." What do other people do?
#2 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Something simple and comfortable...pj's would be great.
#3 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Have you guys seen those birth clothes? I want them, but they are probably pretty silly.

I'll likely be naked most of the time, that's what I was last time.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#4 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM

For labor/birth I think I'll be wearing a long t shirt pj. And in case I decide to strip that in the pool I've got a nursing tank. Any other time I'll be in my traditional suit, yoga pants and a tshirt.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 PM

At my prenatal class yesterday, almost all of the women in the videos and pictures were naked; I think one was wearing a sports-style nursing bra through the whole thing... That's fine and all, but I have no intention of being naked t/o the whole ordeal esp. since I'm going to be at the hospital. So, I have yet to figure out what I am going to wear. I imagine that being naked waist down is kind of mandatory, but I think I might get myself 3 big button up shirts (men's if necessary) from the thrift store or something: one long sleeve, one short sleeve and one sleeveless (if possible) so I have options.

As for going home, unless you're particularly self-conscious, I don't see any reason why you couldn't wear your pyjamas except you might want to have one extra set of pyjamas or clothes for going home in case the first one gets dirty while you're still at the hospital. I don't know though, I don't have any personal experience.
#6 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM

When I went home from the hospital last time I had what my husband packed me. I really don't remember other than it was pants. I think they were actually a pair of maternity jeans.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#7 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM

during labor I was nude, but wrapped in a big sheet it was easiest since I was in and out of the shower often and walking around the room and bouncing on the birth ball, kept me warm and covered enough

as for going home yoga pants
#8 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM

I think I had on a nightie til I either 1. was in the tub or 2. was in transition then I stripped it all off and was nakey!!! That was at the birth center. Of course for my hospital birth they from on nakey so I had the dumb gown on!!!

Take Care, Pam
#9 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM

For going home I like a big t-shirt and soft stretchy pants. I also take flip-flops or some other slip-on, roomy shoe. My feet always swell up terribly after birth and I can't squezze those puppies into a shoe if I wanted to.

For labor (out of water) I don't like to be naked, so I wear a gown. In water I suppose I'd wear a sports bra. I'm not super modest, but I'm not comfortable letting it all hang out, lol.
#10 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM

no clothes... i wanna match the baby when she somes out
#11 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm going to wear a nursing tank...probably a black glamourmom one during labor. maybe i'll get a long one so i'm not totally nekkid...and i will take my own robe, too.

for going home i'll take a pair of my most comfy pj bottoms and a nursing tank.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#12 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 03:03 PM

I'll be wearing a Binsi birth skirt and a sports bra or the like.

Here's a link to the Binsi i fyou're interested: http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm
#13 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmasmomShana View Post
I'll be wearing a Binsi birth skirt and a sports bra or the like.

Here's a link to the Binsi i fyou're interested: http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm

that is really smart! i'm going to look for a skirt that is similar to wear!

#14 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Not in your DDC, but I'm going to be wearing a sarong while at the birth center. Easy on, easy off (and easy access if people need it) when bouncing between the tub, the ball, etc, and hopefully not too warm (robes never really worked for me). Yoga pants and a stretchy shirt to go home in.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#15 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 04:31 PM

at the birth center with ds, i wore a big baggy tshirt and nothing underneath--at the hospital with dd, i wore that same shirt with a robe over top for more coverage. at home i guess i will wear that same tshirt again (hey its a tradition by now!) with a sarong skirt, or i might just tear it all off, who knows!

those binsi skirts looks supercool, but i bet i can fold my sarong in half and essentially have the same thing...

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#16 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
those binsi skirts looks supercool, but i bet i can fold my sarong in half and essentially have the same thing...
they do look super cool, but for the $$ I bet I can make myself a drawstring skirt w/ slits on the side for next to nothing!

#17 of 24 Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks for starting this thread! I was also wondering what to wear to the birthing center. I figured if I couldn't figure it out, I would be naked! I was planning on bringing my robe, and a sarong is a great Idea that I hadn't thought of yet! Thanks!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#18 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 01:15 AM

Funny I hadn't thought about this, last time I had 2 hospital gowns which was just fine with me, but this time it's a birth center so. . . I did have a funny nightgown last time because I was told to bring a front-opening one, which I didn't have, so I took some fabric from a full skirt someone had given me, turned it sideways, and made it into a huge gown. I picked it because it was a really soft rayon, but it was also a really garish batik design in purple, turquoise, white, and some other colors. Plus my sewing is um pretty rudimentary (I accidentally put one of the seams on the outside!) so it is very funny looking, but these days it's the only thing I can sleep in and I realized I need at least one more of those before I have a night-nursing summer babe!
#19 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 AM

Last time I wore a hospital gown with a bra underneath. I don't remember when I took the gown off, but I stripped the bra right after the baby was out so I could put her directly on my skin/chest. I am super modest but I wasn't at that point - I didn't care at all. I wore home whatever I wore there, just some comfortable outfit.

This time I will probably do about the same thing, or just be naked the whole time. Maybe have a bra on so pictures aren't too obscene for the great grandparents. I don't think I'll pack clothes for me to wear home - that would mean those clothes would have to be out of my wardrobe and I don't have so many clothes I'm wearing right now to have that luxury! In fact, I need to do laundry about every 2 days right now since I only have 3 pairs of pants and maybe 4 shirts I'm wearing in public. So again I'll just wear home whatever I wear there.
#20 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 AM

gown. not feel comfy being naked.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#21 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM

I need to get a cheap, long (at least enough to cover my butt) sleep shirt. Sounds a heck of a lot cheaper (if somewhat less trendy) than a binsi skirt.

I won't be in a hospital or birthing center, but there will be other people (including my children) around, so naked doesn't appeal to me now.

Of course, if naked starts to appeal to me during transition, naked I'll be.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#22 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM

When I was at the hospital with my son- I wore the gown they gave me...I didn't have to, but damn...a free garment to bleed and goo all over that I didn't have to take home and wash? I was all about that. I didn't wear it after he was born, but for a good portion of my 8-hour labor.
#23 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Anyone know a good place to buy a 100% cotton mumu? I had a client a couple of years ago who had several that were really pretty that she used for the labor and postpartum. They reminded me of my sweet grandmother and her housecoats. I think I want a few this time since this will be the first non-winter weather baby.
#24 of 24 Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM

I wore the hospital gown last time, but I changed into my nursing nightgown and robe soon after. I want to maybe try a nursing tank or something this time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page