I Don't Have money for nursing clothes. Alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are completely broke. I don't have any money to buy nursing clothes (bra, camis, etc). Is there something else I can do instead?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure, but I am hoping I can at least sometimes get away with cheap, tight spandexy tank under zip-up hoodie. (Because I can afford some nursing clothes, but not much). Thats generally what I wear in the summer anyway and I don't see any reason that I couldn't just unzip the sweater a bit and pop the boob outta the tank. But we'll see, might not be comfortable w/out a supportive enough bra; but I'm only a B cup or so and don't imagine that even "full" I will get too, too much bigger.

ETA: I bet thrift stores and consignment stores are a safe bet, but I get freaked out about thrift store underthings. I have OCD though. Seriously. Most people probably don't care, and that's probably what other people do/will recommend.
#3 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 PM

I did have a nursing bra, but other than, that no special clothes. If you are busty, you might want one bra (maybe a used one? Check on the trading post) if you are smaller, a sports bra or something loose that you can pull up would be fine. I've bought nursing bras at cheap places like Walmart for 10 dollars.
#4 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM

I don't think you need nursing clothes per say. I mostly used my regular clothes and just pulled up my shirt to nurse. I second trying to find a nursing bra that is cheap. Maybe try freecycle, the trading post or Walmart and Target have cheap ones.

What about asking for nursing bras or clothes for gifts?

I wish I was more help.
#5 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Would a Cami with built in support work? I have many because I hate bras! I would much rather have something fancy, but it's just not going to happen unless someone gets them for me. Maybe I can just wear my camis as shirts this summer in the heat...

#6 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:44 PM

I think it would work. You just need to be able to pull it up or down

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#7 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM

I agree that if you are used to going braless, you might find no need for one now. You MAY feel uncomfortable if you get larger and you MAY feel sensitive, but maybe not. I don't think it will be an emergency. You could certainly just plan on using the camis and wait and see if you feel like you need something else. After the first few months, my size when back to normal.
#8 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Cami with built in support work?
Hrm, that's exactly what I meant by "cheap tight spandexy tank top"... why do I never come up with the right terms for things?
#9 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Hrm, that's exactly what I meant by "cheap tight spandexy tank top"... why do I never come up with the right terms for things?
LOL- It makes sense now! I too have an issue with used underwears, unless I KNOW who's it was before me (only with bras though, undies are a big n-o-no used!)

#10 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 PM

I read that there is a way to turn tank tops to nursing tops. I don't remember the site though.
#11 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 PM

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html
This is how I've converted bras- I'm sure it'd work with a tank as well.
Also, I've found that cutting a horizontal slit in the shirt and then sweing a square over it (only stitch at top and bottom, leave sides open) works great as a cheap nursing shirt.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#12 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM

For me, personally, I felt nursing clothes were a waste of money and uncomfortable. That is just me.
I was a big fan of the whipping it out method. I just whipped my boob out. It's not for the modest, but I am not modest.
I don't wear bras either, so that helped.
#13 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Dont need nursing clothes IMO.

Just anything you can pull up or down to nurse.

Nursing clothes look like nursing clothes and there don't seem IMO so be many that are quailty. They just don't last long don't wear well wash well ect.

As for bras anything I pull under my breast works. I have one or 2 nursing bras for the first couple of months when my breast are huge and need a bra that can fluctuate with their size.

I love the tanks with built in bras
#14 of 36 Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 PM

I've nursed 4 little ones and never owned a single piece of "nursing" apparel, bra or shirt. I wear underwire bras (yes, I know about the extra risk of clogging, but it's worth it to me for comfort - and it's never happened) which I flip up over the boob and regular shirts. About the only concession I make to nursing clothing is that I wear mostly skirts and blouses to church instead of dresses, but I've been known to wear a loose dress I really wanted to and just hike it all the way up or pull down a lower cut top (we have a nice, private mother's lounge).
#15 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 02:41 AM

I took a t-shirt I already had and cut two circles out right on my boobs. I wore that a TON. At night all the time, and also under other shirts for tummy coverage but still good access. It didn't create wrinkles like slits do, and wasn't as hot as double layer nursing shirts for some reason.

If you like to wear bras I personally find nursing bras really nice to have. I've bought cheap ones but they wear out fast. The ones that last the longest (I have some that are two years old and are still good as new) are my Blue Canoe Jane's Plus bras. Definitely worth the money, and they wash with regular laundry which was always a PITA for me with other bras.
#16 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 AM

i have 2 nursing bras, that is it. i have no nursing clothes. i will use a nice small blanket when i NIP. at home: dh's t-shirts are excellent.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#17 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I took a t-shirt I already had and cut two circles out right on my boobs. I wore that a TON. At night all the time, and also under other shirts for tummy coverage but still good access. It didn't create wrinkles like slits do, and wasn't as hot as double layer nursing shirts for some reason.
DH has been asking me to do this with all my shirts for YEARS.... quite unrelated to breast feeding.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#18 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I took a t-shirt I already had and cut two circles out right on my boobs. I wore that a TON. At night all the time, and also under other shirts for tummy coverage but still good access.
what a great idea!!!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#19 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM

I got some tanks at the end of the season from old navy for $2 or $3 each and just cute the arm hole wider and layered those under things. certainly not a necessity but it was nice in the winter to not have to expose belly skin.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#20 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Yeah, I've heard of getting a pack of men's undershirt tanks and cutting slits in the front for boob access, and then wearing them under regular clothing.

I never bought a lot of nursing clothes, but I usually got a dress or two with nursing access since that was something I never could figure out how to do with regular dresses...

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#21 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
I got some tanks at the end of the season from old navy for $2 or $3 each and just cute the arm hole wider and layered those under things. certainly not a necessity but it was nice in the winter to not have to expose belly skin.
I've done the cut a hole for the boob thing, but it looks funny IMO. I think the cutting of the arm hole to be wider may be the solution. Thanks. I'll probably be doing this. Although, it's so hot in FL that even the double layer of fabric in "real" nursing shirts is too much. I'm going to use camis with built in bras (nursing and otherwise) mostly, but I will try that for the fall and winter.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#22 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 PM

I didn't have any nursing shirts last time and did fine, no problems. I did have a nursing bra though. I had to wear a bra since I leaked so very much and needed it to keep my breast pads in. Well, I did use those Lilypadz sometimes, but they didn't always work. I just wore tops that didn't tuck in and just lifted and fed. I didn't even have to "whip it all out" in public lol, still discreet.
#23 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 02:41 PM

You can wear regular clothing.

Button shirts - unbutton them from the bottom, not the top. Baby covers your belly, and the top of the shirt covers the top of your boob. Many people don't even notice you're nursing in public!

T-shirts - lift from the bottom, keep the shirt close to the baby's cheek and again, baby will cover most of your belly.

If you don't want to expose your belly, wear a tank underneath that's loose enough on top you can pull it down. Then you can lift your shirt from the bottom, pull the tank down, and you've got top and bottom coverage. Or, if you sew at all, make yourself some bella bands to wear under shirts.

If you have a sling, nursing in a sling is super-discreet.

For nursing bras, you don't necessarily have to wear them, especially if you're small breasted. But you may want to wear something to hold nursing pads on, if you find you tend to leak. You can just wear a regular bra and just move it to the side or hike it up when you nurse. Just be careful not to have any elastic or underwire up against your breast anywhere while you're nursing, in case you cause a plugged duct.

The older your baby gets and the more experienced you get at nursing, the easier it will be to nurse discreetly wearing normal everyday clothing. I always recommend moms nurse in front of a mirror or a trusted friend or dh to see what it looks like to others - it makes one less self-concious about NIP. Also, instead of looking down at baby in public, look up and around - it makes it less obvious what you're doing and draws less attention. Finally, a big blanket over the shoulder is not only hot, but is likea neon sign advertising you're nursing - it draws more attention.

Hope some of that helps.

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (due in May)
#24 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

i feel like nursing clothes are doooooooooorky. some friends gave me some last time that i wouldn't be caught dead in i had 2 nursing bras and several little tank bras from target (like $7 each). and i was just STOKED when i finally shrank down enough to get into some of my regular clothes. not that i am a fashion maven but the nursing clothes i've seen are so frumpy. just not me. and totally unnecessary
#25 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i feel like nursing clothes are doooooooooorky. some friends gave me some last time that i wouldn't be caught dead in i had 2 nursing bras and several little tank bras from target (like $7 each). and i was just STOKED when i finally shrank down enough to get into some of my regular clothes. not that i am a fashion maven but the nursing clothes i've seen are so frumpy. just not me. and totally unnecessary
YEAP i share that sentiment the motherwear stuff esp just seems so overpriced and then so.....well....basic too. Even Motherhood can barely manage to make cute nursing clothes--it's like they think breastfeeding is the antithesis of "hip mama"

IMO nursing shirts are great for the WINTER--when you don't want your belly getting a draft and of course that can easily be solved by a bellyband-type thing under any regular shirt.

Nursng dresses, however, are essential IF you like to wear dresses I mean, in a spaghetti strap dress I suppose you can pull it down, but then you're basically starkers from chin to boob, and that might not be within your comfort zone I have *a* nursing dress from last time that I paid like 60 bucks for on sale : and that's it. Just nice to have if the thought of one more day of jeans is gonna make you hurl of course, i don't wear shorts either....so that might also be considered...hmm..

as for nursing bras, yeah, IMO you can't get away without a least a couple. I woult NOT recommend the k-mart specials tho they are un-comfy and, well, if you care about cuteness of your underthings, those are NOT the way to go! I had my super-crazy-cool tie dyed bravado from last time, and I managed to win two more bravados in my size off eBay. I think I paid $28 plus shipping, so i guess that's half the retail price...?

So. IMO 3 nursing bras, one dress just cause i think it's cool to have, and some way of not exposing your tummy in the colder months--

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#26 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Target has some nursing bras that are actually kinda pretty.

Most I have seen are so plain.
#27 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
;yeah that: to all of the above. No need for "nursing tops". I'm a sports bra and cami/shelf tank kinds of a girl, too - wear it under whatever you're wearing, then pull the shirt up and the cami down, and viola!

I had 3 nursing shirts, and gave them away.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#28 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 PM

The only item of nurseing clotheing i have ever used has been a nurseing bra but thats not really needed all you really need is tops that either easy to lift up or pull down and a bra that gives easy access to your breasts i don't even use my nurseing bras anymore i just wear a cheap non underwired bra cos i find wires a bit uncomfortable.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#29 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 PM

I found that Target nursing tanks were like a thong for your breasts. It was like they took a thong and somehow turned it into a nursing tank. Now, this was 2 years ago, perhaps things have changed...
And thank you for saying nursing clothes are unattractive. Most to me scream house frau or farm wife (no offense if you are that- my DP is a farmer, but we're the hip kind.)
#30 of 36 Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 PM

When I had my first baby we had no internet and lived in a nonretail type of area.The few nursing tops I saw were way hideous,screamed "shes lactating!", and totally not my style I still think they look pretty horrid and don't cover a real post partum women's tummy.I did find some bras at JC Penny's and Motherhood but most of the time I wear a regular demi style and pop out of it.I do underwire too cuz at a size DDD/F I feel a need for a flying buttress.LOL I wear regular Tshirts and if its winter use a cardigan to cover any back/tummy fat.In the summer I wear tshirts and tank tops and sometimes a button down short sleeved or sleevless blouse over it.I've even worn pretty summer dresses.I just lift out of them and usually I have a recieing blanket that covers anything if I'm feeling bashful.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page