I know, I know not another baby must-have list...but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...my cousin just sent me a link to this site, apparently it's a local baby store (to me) here in Vancouver and its their list of "must have" items. They say at the top that they've tried to make it as minimal as possible, but there's things on here I've never even heard of and I had thought I had gotten all the basics [except car seat still :] so I'm really hoping that they've made this list to try to sell stuff from their store. Whatza Whoozit?

ETA: OK and I know a newborn doesn't need a high chair!
#2 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 AM

its a very trendy baby store

a lot of that stuff you don't need for a new baby, I don't htink they have enough baby clothing on their list and no you definately won't need a highchair with a newborn, or a daphne bath seat (have you seen those they look like some weird plastic contraption device lol)

but maybe the store is a little more ap? they don't have any baby soothing devices like swings or bouncy chairs on their must have list, but did include the sling/front carrier
#3 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 AM

My Whoozit is a really nifty toy.The list looked more reasonable than some.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#4 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had to look up the Whoozit.
Think my child will grow up to be normal since I do not have most of theese items?
I do think they do not list enough clothing. I had all acid reflux babies so I am not one to judge the right amount though.

Heidi
#5 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM

I have almost none of that stuff but lots of other things! No mention of the 10 carriers that I have () or the huge stacks of beatiful cloth diapers, the lambskin and organic wool puddle pad for co-sleeping, the handknit longies! I should make a list and post it - all the essentials according to MSAX

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
its a very trendy baby store

a lot of that stuff you don't need for a new baby, I don't htink they have enough baby clothing on their list and no you definately won't need a highchair with a newborn, or a daphne bath seat (have you seen those they look like some weird plastic contraption device lol)

but maybe the store is a little more ap? they don't have any baby soothing devices like swings or bouncy chairs on their must have list, but did include the sling/front carrier
Yeah it's in Kits I am guessing?? Maybe a little bit more AP but that's probably just cause it's Vancouver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
My Whoozit is a really nifty toy.The list looked more reasonable than some.
Yeah, I looked it up it doesn't look that bad after all! Heheh. I also looked up the Gymini play mat and really like the red, black and white one and might even get it! : Well, at least try to get someone to get it for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I do think they do not list enough clothing. I had all acid reflux babies so I am not one to judge the right amount though.
Yes it really looked like only 6 items ors something--2 sleepers, 2 nightgowns and 2 "pyjamas"--whatever that meant. Plus a handful of onesies.

And MSAX--you SHOULD post that list!
#7 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd has a whoozit, she loved it but the sound mechanism broke and it's not nearly as exciting now. It was cool, though. But I doubt there's any one specific toy that I would call a must have, I think most kids have way too many toys and they are overrated in general.
#8 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 AM

My dd had a Whoozit. I was obsessed with the part that crinkled. SO has informed me that if nothing else, this baby is going to have one of those toys that you pull the string and the arrow spins around and lands on an animal it makes that noise? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Definately not a must have, except in SO's eyes
#9 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM

That is pretty reasonable. I think often times with lists, they put things for when the baby is older b/c...well let's face it, not everyone will get you the stuff you need for older babies once baby is older. It's easier to just get it all in one shot, when people still want to gift you!
And we totally wore out the ol whoozit...we in fact have asked for a new one this time. Makena just LOVED it! But I think you can be normal sans whoozit!
#10 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Never, ever trust people trying to sell you things to tell you what you need. Even the most benevolently intended among them always seem to over-estimate.

(Says one who has no Moses baskets, gliders, mobiles, baby monitors, specialty tummy time blankets, strollers, etc, etc, etc, and somehow still feels just fine. )
#11 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Eesh, forget about it! There's almost nothing you NEED before the baby comes other than some clothing and diapers (and a wrap-style carrier, IMO), a boob or two and a warm body. And it's not like you can't shop after the baby gets here!

All I have are my diapers, a few clothing options, a few blankets, and we still have to figure the car seat out. But past that I ain't doing any shopping until this kid is safely out of my body! Everything else I'll get in due course, IF and when I need it.

I'm so sick of STUFF and babies represent so much stuff from a commercial perspective. Just say no!

ILANA
#12 of 13 Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliceinwonderland View Post
My dd had a Whoozit. I was obsessed with the part that crinkled. SO has informed me that if nothing else, this baby is going to have one of those toys that you pull the string and the arrow spins around and lands on an animal it makes that noise? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Definately not a must have, except in SO's eyes

I LOVE those - See-n-Says!! We have the animal one I think (we used to, might have broken?) But they are really hard for little ones to operate, most of them now have arms that you pull down instead of a string - might find a vintage one with a string. One of the things my hubby couldn't resist when he saw it in the store - a Sit and Spin.
#13 of 13 Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
I LOVE those - See-n-Says!! We have the animal one I think (we used to, might have broken?) But they are really hard for little ones to operate, most of them now have arms that you pull down instead of a string - might find a vintage one with a string. One of the things my hubby couldn't resist when he saw it in the store - a Sit and Spin.
lol I think my dh sampled the see-n-say in some of his earlier hip hop beats...

the moo.

Grace Comes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page