PP Pads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the bath last night I realized I hadn't thought about this yet. Last time I just used disposable ones but the thought revolts me now. Which ones are you all making and what was enough for your lochia? I'm a really light bleeder and even post birth didn't lose enough blood but the one thing I HATE about cloth pads is the fact that the clots just sit on the surface and get all tangled in my pubes (nonetheless, they are all I used). So the thought of that combined with all that swelling and possible stitches is kind of yucky.

What are you all using?

ILANA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 PM

I'm planning on using some cloth pads. But I think I might try depends the first couple of days. I'm very tall (6'1'') and long pads just aren't ever quite long enough for me, iykwim. I used really long disposible pads that my mw gave me last time. I remember the blood getting all tangles in my pubes, too, that was nasty. I think I'll have dh help me trim down there when I get a little closer to my due date to help avoid some of that nastiness.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#3 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM

I find the clots just sit on top of the disposables ones too ?

but I bought a bunch of 10 and 12 inch night time mother and maiden pads ( I think I have 8) and then 6 regular 8 inch pads. I also have a major stash of some natural kind of disposable pads from the health food store I"ve had them for 3 years now and have yet to go through them, I used them after my last two babies were born and I still have lots of packages left, so I figure if my mama cloth doesn't work well for me or I don't have enough I"ll use the disposables
#4 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM

I think this will be an ocassion for disposibles for me :
depends sound good, and a trim down there also sounds good ...

Grace Comes.

#5 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM

I made some super cheap, not beautiful at all PP pads from scaps I had around the house. The disposables are beyond disgusting for me, I just can not stand pads in general and that hatrid was amplified pp last time! So, I made 4 layer pads (flannel on top, two layers of terry from a recycled towel, and a layer of cord to make them stick in the undies well). I stitched them up and have a dozen ready to go when I need them!

I had to go buy some PP undies because I only own one pair of underwear that could hold a pad right now (I only wear thongs). I felt super cool buying the huge black, full coverage undies last week

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 27 Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 PM

I might do the scraps from around the house. I have some mommy bads, but they're not long enough. But it seems the PP bleeding lasted fooorever. So I may do disposable?
#7 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 AM

I have several glad rags that are for "night" that I'm going to take to the hospital with me to use. I'm thinking that I may need a few more though. I may just pick some up when I go to the co-op. I used disposables last time and hated them.
#8 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM

I have quite a large stash of mother and maiden pads, but i think I might do disposables for a little bit because I'm planning on freezing them with witch hazel, comfrey and some other stuff. I might even combine that with Depends for the first day or so. Probably after the first 4-7 days I'll be strictly using my M&M pads.
#9 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Has anyone used the Diva Cup/Keeper for postpartum use? I've been using one for AF for the last couple of years but I don't know if it would be appropriate for pp flow.
#10 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 AM

I use the Diva cup and I LOVE it but I don't think it should be used PP but I could be wrong. I don't know if I could put it in after birth being so sore? I can't wait to hear what the others say though.
#11 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM

I was going to ask about Diva cup too. I'd love to use mine, but it depends. I think I might give it a try and if it hurts, not do it. (DUH! LOL) But if I don't tear too badly and I can do that with my regular pantiliners which would be heavenly.

I do have a few pairs of mesh disposable undies and mongo disposable pads for the first 24-48 hours pp.
#12 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 AM

I know everyone's pp experiences are different, but I wouldn't even consider my Keeper until around 6mo pp, and I only had a slight abrasion, no tears. Everything down there just felt too sensitive to be messing with the Keeper.
#13 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The birth center I am going to said disposable diapers are good for this purpose. I have no idea how they suggest an adult use them.

Dd was a c/s, so the first couple days I lay on the big pad they put under me as I was immobilized. Actually I think that was the most comfortable, as long as I was lying still in bed (maybe it was all the drugs, though). After I started getting up and wearing real clothes I just used the pads I always use for periods. the flow was lighter than an average day of menstruating for me, it just lasted for sooooo long.
#14 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM

I'm making pp pads. I'm only making about 6 bigs ones and then about a dozen smaller ones. I don't generally have really heavy bleeding. I'm also going to by some all natural pads from Frontier the next time I order so if the pp pads don't work, I'll use those. I can't imagine trying to use my diva cup pp for quite some time. The idea of putting anything in me makes me shiver.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#15 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
I think this will be an ocassion for disposibles for me :
depends sound good, and a trim down there also sounds good ...
I will be using disposables at first until the bleeding gets lighter. I got a huge pack of Always long for a very good deal at Costco. I've heard prefolds work well, though. I don't want to overwhelm myself too much at first...so that's why I'm sticking with disposables. (Although I do find cloth way more comfy)
#16 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM

I bought cloth for the first time ever (from homemademama.com ) and I'm really looking forward to trying them! They are so soft and comfy. :

But I also made some pp ice packs things out of unbleached disposables and some comfrey leaves and vit E oil. Which sounds pretty soothing...
#17 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm using toddler size chinese prefolds. I have used these as overnight pads for the last several years and found them to be excellent. I'm freezing some with witch hazel and sitz bath for the first few days pp and using dry ones after that.
#18 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM

I've got an ok-sized stash of GladRags and of course prefolds for backup, and I figure I can get sposies if I need to. I got a sitz bath herbal mix from gentlemoon.com, but I'm gonna make tea out of it instead, soak the pads/dipes in it, and then chill them. So I'm not sure if I have enough cloth to accomodate the bleeding plus that project

ummm....for those that have used mama-cloth and baby-cloth at the same time pp, do you just wash everything together?? is that okay?

from what little I've read, the keepers/divacups should be avoided for at least 4 weeks same as sex (sigh...), just to give everything in there time to normalize. I LOVE my keeper and usually use nothing else

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#19 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM

I used the pads the hospital gave me until they ran out last time. I'll probably do the same this time around. I loved my cloth pads during the PP time. I hate pads usually, but cloth is so nice....no odor or sweating. I want to get some of these pads: http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=15023&vid=280

I would normally use small 9" pads, but for PP these pads look heavenly. My biggest complaint with cloth pads is that from the rear you can see them through your clothes. The full-cut of these would eliminate that issue for me.

eta: keeper/diva cup?!? Eek! Nothing goes in there for at least a few weeks after baby. My kids like to leave behind path of distruction.
#20 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
ummm....for those that have used mama-cloth and baby-cloth at the same time pp, do you just wash everything together?? is that okay?
I rinse each pad by hand in the sink when I change them (really, no big deal). Then I toss it in with the dirty diapers. I wash the heck out of my diapers, and I know they come out very clean
#21 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
I bought cloth for the first time ever (from homemademama.com ) and I'm really looking forward to trying them! They are so soft and comfy. :

But I also made some pp ice packs things out of unbleached disposables and some comfrey leaves and vit E oil. Which sounds pretty soothing...
Do you have a recipe or directions for the above? THat does sound heavenly. I don't think I did anything last time to speed healing but it appeals to me this time around.

ILANA
#22 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 06:39 PM

I'm a faithful keeper fan- but wont go there PP.
I am doing disposable pads for these reasons 1. I don't have $$$ to buy a bunch of cloth and 2. I'm taking sitz bath herbs, brewing it all and dipping the pad in it and freezing it for PP.
#23 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Just the thought of using a keeper/diva right after birth makes me shiver. I only had a few minor abrasions down there, nothing that required stitches, but I couldn't even get myself to wipe after using the toilet for at least a week.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#24 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
Just the thought of using a keeper/diva right after birth makes me shiver. I only had a few minor abrasions down there, nothing that required stitches, but I couldn't even get myself to wipe after using the toilet for at least a week.

: I use a peribottle to rinse and then blot lightly with TP for weeks after birth. My kids have big heads.
#25 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
I'm a faithful keeper fan- but wont go there PP.
I am doing disposable pads for these reasons 1. I don't have $$$ to buy a bunch of cloth and 2. I'm taking sitz bath herbs, brewing it all and dipping the pad in it and freezing it for PP.
Totally cool to do whatever works for you, but you can also do this with wash clothes and such for the same money as disposables if you would rather use cloth. I bought some 4 for $1 wash clothes after my friend said she just used those for PP. I have a few of these (and made some zero $ scrap pads at home).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#26 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM

with my previous pregnancies I've also made the ice packs. i'll take the pp disposable pads and mix up some witch hazel, cypress oil and lavendar oil and pour it on the pads and stick them in the freezer. really makes everything feel sooooo good *and* helps the swelling go down a lot faster!

the cypress is good for 'roids, too.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#27 of 27 Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 PM

I highly recommend a trim down in those parts. It keeps things tidy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page