should I take iron supplements... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if I am not anemic? I had my blood drawn about a month ago and everything looked great. My OB said my values were good even for a non-pregnant woman. So, why did he suggest I take an iron supplement? Should I take one anyway?
#2 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are eating well and your values are good I am not sure why you would need to take it.

Heidi
#3 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM

If my doctor told me in one breath that my iron levels are good, then suggested I take an iron supplement, my first thing would be to ask him the reasoning for the supplement. My suspicion would be that he misspoke or got so much into the routine he does for every pg woman that he wasn't thinking, because obviously it doesn't make sense. But I would have asked and given him the chance to explain his rationale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey0402 View Post
if I am not anemic? I had my blood drawn about a month ago and everything looked great. My OB said my values were good even for a non-pregnant woman. So, why did he suggest I take an iron supplement? Should I take one anyway?
#4 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM

My first question would be, 1) can you just call him and get him to clarify? and then second would be, 2) were you taking supplements when your results came back "good"? because in my case, my results came back good but i was taking prenatals, floradix, and eating several high-iron foods per day for at least a couple weeks before getting tested. when it came back REALLY high, i reduced the amount of supplementing I was doing--but didn't stop altogether. Just a couple thoughts.
#5 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'll ask him at my appointment on Friday. He was reviewing my labs and just said casually that I should still start taking a supplement now (just to be careful is the impression I got). I know my levels are all good because I looked at my labs, so I don't suspect any confusion about that. I just never think to ask questions until I'm out of the appointment.

My labs were all good when I was only taking the occasional PNV. My vitamins are 2 a day, and I was taking one every other day...or less :
#6 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM

How are you feeling? If you aren't feeling tired and run-down (like I'm starting to) you're probably fine - ?!?

My last preg the iron supplements made me wicked constipated...
#7 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM

If you are feeling good then I wouldn't worry about it

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#8 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I have a great number for a non pregnant womyn as well, however, I am taking nettles and alfalfa and I will probably even take floradix closer to term. I just like to have a little extra as I near birth and for afterwards.
I think doing natural, gentle supplements is quite different than doing the over the counter type supplements.
#9 of 13 Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 PM

i'd supplement w/ floradiz and not the OTC kind. they make me miserable and still didn't help my counts.

anemia in birth can leave you winded, worn out and prone to more bleeding, so having extra good levels of iron won't be a bad thing, where only o.k. levels can leave you feeling pretty wiped out.

i don't think it hurts anything to take them and it may actually help, so i'd go for it!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#10 of 13 Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM

Is there a non over the counter version of Floradix?

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#11 of 13 Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM

I wouldn't take an iron supplement if you don't need it. Even if you did need a boost I wouldn't take iron I'd use high iron foods, yellowdock, dandelion, chlorophyll or Herbal Iron. My past OBs were intent on making sure every woman took high doses of iron supplements regardless of their current numbers.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#12 of 13 Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 AM

I think they just think it's good to have high intake b/c the volume of blood in your body is still increasing, plus there will be blood loss during labor.
#13 of 13 Old 04-19-2007, 04:35 AM

I agree - the iron pills constipated me fiercely that I then had to take stool softeners, which still didn't help, and worst of all I STILL had low iron. ARGH!!!!!

This time, I bought a bottle of Floradix and have taken a dose maybe 7-9 times throughout my pregnancy. Just kind of when I felt like I should or needed it. I plan to have it very handy when I birth, and try to remember to take at least one dose during labor (more if I have a long labor).

I haven't taken any prenatal vitamins this time and I've felt completely fine. I haven't gotten the "pregnancy symptoms" like crazy hair and nail growth and stuff like that, and I realized those symptoms were actually reactions to the vitamins. I'm not saying they aren't good, but I know the vitamins I need, and what is good to have more of during pregnancy, and I know what foods have those nutrients/vitamins.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page