Mothering Forum banner

what do early labor cramps feel like?

25K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  turnipmama 
#1 ·
yesterday afternoon and today afternoon i have been having what feel like menstrual like cramps - but they are in the middle region of my stomach, maybe a little above my belly button. i have never experienced any kind of contraction or labor before, but for some reason i figured this kind of thing would take place in my lower belly. just wondering if this sounds like anything happening to any of you? i know that prodromal labor can go on for days, so i am not getting geared up for having a baby any time soon, but it would be nice to know my body is doing something...

#2 ·
They feel different for everyone. One thing I experienced with my first was cramps for weeks that did not coincide with the uterine "tightening" or "hardening" that I was also experiencing. Then, once the cramps DID coincide, I felt pretty certain it was labor. Also with labor, ctx get stronger and closer together and do not change much when you change activity. They usually (not always) last at least a minute.

I'm 33 weeks and have been have contractions for a few weeks that start in my cervix/ lower belly and move up. A lot of the time they are very regular (10 minutes apart?) Today, for the hell of it, I had someone check me. The baby is very low (-1 station) and cervix very soft but not dilated at all. I went to almost 42 weeks with ds, so I can't imagine that my body's doing much more than just "tuning up" and softening the cervix. I'm going to do more to get rest (ha! with a 3 year old?) and to stay hydrated.

#4 ·
thanks for your replies. i am a little more than 37 weeks and had a midwife appointment today. i declined the cervical check, but admit to still wondering what's going on down there. i get an electric shock in my cervix occasionally and my doula told me that was my cervix changing. so, i guess i am probably just reading too much into everything.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willzmama View Post
I know a woman whose early labor felt like a stomach ache! Finally someone decided to "time" her stomach ache and turns out it was ctx!
This happened to my mom! She woke up with a stomach ache, had it pretty much all day, then her water broke in the early evening. She called her doctor who told her to get to the hospital even though she wasn't having contractions (it was her fifth kid and she has fast labours). So she went to the hospital, hung out there for two hours without any contractions...and then had three right in a row and my brother was born. And she thought the doctor was stupid for telling her to go to the hospital without having any contractions

#8 ·
Yes menstrual feeling cramps can be how contrax feel in labor. If I recall with mine though it was an all over ache and not really concentrated in one place. Just an overall tightening that was uncomfortable.

I hear ya on the electic shock to the cervix! OMGoodness!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
i've been wondering this too--it's like this kid moving around is inducing BH ctx lately, and it's really exhausting! Makes my back hurt too, bleah. Stay in there baby!!
I wouldn't worry, at least from what I have read (What to Expect, I know lots of people hate that book but I found it helpful), fetal activity increasing with BH is just pre-labor, not actual labor...anyone else read this or is it just me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.