Anyone get out of breath for no apparent reason? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently if I'm just standing for a little while or even sitting in a certain position I get all out of breath and have a bit of a hard time calming down (feel a little light headed, etc.). What is this? I don't remember this in my other two pgs. Is it the position of the baby? Anyone else experience this?
#2 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM

I definitely get out of breath, especially when I lie down in bed. My hubby affectionately calls me "Wheezy."
#3 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Not in your ddc...
I was out of breath for the last month of my second pregancy. DD loved to stretch out against my diaphragm and push up on my lungs. Loads of fun: .
If you feel out of breath after sitting, definitely get up and move around a bit. Maybe do some light stretches (safe ones of course) and see if your LO changes positions. This late on, though, it may just be their fave!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#4 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM

ME! ME! ME! It stinks. This kid's butt is up to my ribs. Usually I have to exert a bit of energy, but other times it seems doing pretty much nothing puts me out of breath for a whole minute or two.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#5 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 12:17 PM

For the past couple weeks or so, even when the baby has moved down a bit and isn't jamming her butt in my ribs, I still have been short of breath. It feels sort of like my alveoli are somewhat restricted like they always felt when I was a smoker or what I imagine a very mild asthma attack might feel like. I've read about it somewhere... something to do with hormones maybe? Any ideas?
#6 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 PM

I get out of breath when i'm talking on the phone or if I do anything active at all.
#7 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
Recently if I'm just standing for a little while or even sitting in a certain position I get all out of breath and have a bit of a hard time calming down (feel a little light headed, etc.).
YES, I feel exactly like this and it is so annoying. It started about a week ago (I'm 37 weeks now) and is quite bothersome. It feels like a cross between a panic attack and an asthma attack with a bit of nausea thrown in for good measure sometimes.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#8 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 PM

I'm not having that problem this time so much, but I remember with my last baby it was really bad! It literally took me minutes to catch my breath from walking up the steps...even if I took it really slow. It's funny though, because this baby *feels* bigger...it must've been the way he was laying?
#9 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 PM

me too.......but i am afraid the anemia monster is back

ladies make sure this is not the reason for your shortness of breath!!

my legs feel tingly too and i have a grody cheilitis blister at the corners of my mouth -- off to get some red meat

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#10 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Last week I was sitting down with my knees pulled up, trying to eat something and hold a conversation. Between the baby's position, the compression from the way I was sitting, and the time out to talk and swallow, I think I was beginning to sound like I'd just run a marathon.
#11 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 PM

You can sit down with your knees pulled up? I'm envious! I can't sit in any position that doesn't allow my legs to be at a 110+ degree angle.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#12 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Yep, it happens to me too. My breath just leaves me and I start breathing heavy. Sometimes just sitting but it usually happens when I'm doing something really easy like emptying the dishwasher or blow drying my hair.
#13 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaaz View Post
Yep, it happens to me too. My breath just leaves me and I start breathing heavy. Sometimes just sitting but it usually happens when I'm doing something really easy like emptying the dishwasher or blow drying my hair.
YES! I almost always get winded from doing anything with my hair! But other more strenuous things are not as big a deal. Weird.

I randomly lose my breath, too, and assume it is the baby's position. I also lose if from even mild exertion... makes me worry about my stamina for labor

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#14 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
You can sit down with your knees pulled up? I'm envious! I can't sit in any position that doesn't allow my legs to be at a 110+ degree angle.
Heh ... I think I've become one of those obnoxious pregnant women who other pregnant women are obligated to hate: the ones who can still eat spicy foods, shave their own legs without difficulty, bounce up out of deep cushy chairs without so much as an "oomph," and yes, pull their knees up. (I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago ... for the most part I'm operating on the theory that weight/girth issues aren't as big a deal to me because I mostly still know how to handle being bigger and carrying more. Now if only I could stop hitting myself in the belly with the refrigerator door ...)
#15 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
me too.......but i am afraid the anemia monster is back

ladies make sure this is not the reason for your shortness of breath!!
Yeah, i was wonering if this was the case with me too. I had a steak for dinner last night and may again tonight, just in case, with some spinach and cheese.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#16 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Recently if I'm just standing for a little while or even sitting in a certain position I get all out of breath and have a bit of a hard time calming down (feel a little light headed, etc.). What is this? I don't remember this in my other two pgs. Is it the position of the baby? Anyone else experience this?
This happens to me all the time, especially when I am standing for long periods of time. I think she just likes to cram her feet into my ribcage on occasion!
#17 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM

Yes, I'm getting the same shortness of breath. Sometimes it seems worse than others. I find it so annoying. I feel like an invalid, huffing and puffing. I have the remains of a hacking cough from a cold I caught 2 and a half weeks ago so it seems to intensify the feeling. I certainly won't miss this aspect of late pregnancy!
#18 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 PM

It may be oxytocin. My breath catches for several seconds, starting before a BH, and I get a little light headed and a slight bit of nausea, then I know that the uterus will tighten up afterwards. I also get a little flushed, like my own tiny hot flash.

Sound like that could be going on for you too? This is the first pregnancy that I've felt that exactly. Before (in my first two pregnancies), BH was just in the uterus.
#19 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Heh ... I think I've become one of those obnoxious pregnant women who other pregnant women are obligated to hate: the ones who can still eat spicy foods, shave their own legs without difficulty, bounce up out of deep cushy chairs without so much as an "oomph," and yes, pull their knees up. (I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago ... for the most part I'm operating on the theory that weight/girth issues aren't as big a deal to me because I mostly still know how to handle being bigger and carrying more. Now if only I could stop hitting myself in the belly with the refrigerator door ...)
I think I am going to have to put you on my "ignore" list until I am done being pregnant.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#20 of 21 Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Ha hah Liquesce! You are the girl who has been taunting me during the end of my pregnancies as you skip past my waddling bulk.Shame shame!
Doula Gina maybe that is it.this is the first time I've felt it.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#21 of 21 Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I get this feeling when I'm having BH.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page