creative/cool/simple birth announcement ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
......anyone doing birth announcements? i just got back from a stationery store and i cant believe how expensive they are!

but then again i cant see myself *making* them with a newborn around.

any ideas / links / stories? i guess i am "semi crafty" i could handle a project right now to distract myself

one idea was to print/design a vintage airplane ticket, and leave blank spots under "arrival" for the date and weight to fill in by hand later. maybe make the "passengers" me, DH and the baby?! or not!?

i also wouldnt mind just ordering em online

target also has some inexpensive ones you can print thru your own printer, but i have bad luck trying to do stuff like this....let alone with a new baby around...let alone if i have to make 50 of them!!

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm having mine done by the same work-at-home-mom that created my Christmas cards this year. I think they're super-reasonably priced, you can either have her print them for you and provide envelopes, or if you're in a rush like I was, you can just have her email you the file for $25 and then print them out at Target or somewhere.

Is it OK to post a link to her site here? I've not been around long enough to know the rules on this board.

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (due in May)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM

I have been wondering about this too...

you might want to check out www.shutterfly.com
it's spendy, but at the same time you could do all postcards with a digital photo online, let them do the stamps even, and be done with it fairly quickly. This would be my totally-not-crafty option... We did our wedding announcements this way, and everyone got a cool b+w non-frill photo from us that many wanted to frame, it looked so good... better than a traditional card.

But, being a semi-crafty gal myself, I am curious to see what others have to say... the above will be my back-up plan.

Grace Comes.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM

I am just planning to try to get a few good pictures, probably a main one of the baby alone, maybe another of a foot/hand, and one with all 3 kids, and then I'll Photoshop them together into some sort of announcement, and get them printed as photocards on-line somewhere. I should probably start making the template now so I can just slip in the photos when I get them.

These are cute, too: http://www.familybirthannouncements.com/package.cfm
I've ordered address labels from them in the past.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM

Oh do send the link for the WAHM..

Also www.vistaprint.com can do 50 postcard announcements for approx. $26.
Not bad.

Grace Comes.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

this is my favorite so far but DH thinks: "too cutsey"

"um.....it IS a baby, DH"

http://www.tinyprints.com/ProductView_1094.htm

$70 for 50.

deb

PS thanks baraka - that is a great deal and they look good!

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Oh do send the link for the WAHM..
OK, here she is:

http://www.autumnfaerydesigns.com/

And here's a link to the Christmas Cards she designed for me - I was so happy with them that I'll use her for my birth announcements.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...sBocksepia.jpg

Amy
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 PM

office depot has some do it yourself announcements. they are a little spendy (in my book). the ones we bought were $35.00 for 50 (they were on the cheaper end). we needed a few more than that, so we bought some fancy type printer paper that has little footprints down the side with matching envelopes. i think all total it cost less than $50.00. with the fancier ones, i will be including a 4x6 photo, with the less fancy, i will just print the picture on the announcement. i have already done labels for them so they are all addressed. this week i will be going to the post office to get appropriate postage for each. i needed a project too
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

oh. my. god. has anyone seen these?

they are rock posters but w/your babys face on them. they look exactly like rock posters.

very pricey yes but now i am inspired! i want to make these!!! if i do the template ahead of time........oooh. i just might have to do it.

http://rattle-n-roll.com/html/home2.html

uh oh does this mean i am an annoying hipster? possibly

Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM

We used shutterfly last time and it was great. I entered in my address book while I was pregnant (only like 20-30 people if I remember correctly) and then a few days after the birth we uploaded a picture for the front of the card and basic text for the inside, and shutterfly sent them all out for us. SO WORTH whatever it was I paid for them, I have no idea. We have done a few other shutterfly things since then, like we made a photo book for Delia's "first year" that turned out awesome. I keep wanting to make a calendar, but I never do. And, because it's online I can get to that address book from anywhere so it's my most up to date and correct address book! I've kept adding names to it, too. When I do my Christmas cards, I go log into shutterfly and use that to write out the envelopes.

So, anyway, that's what we'll most likely do again - with them sending them for us and everything. That was so ultra cool to get it done like that, not even have to worry about stamps at that point. Now, 3.5 years later I ship out 50-75 packages a week and have my own little shipping station in my house but I'll probably still do the shutterfly thing.

ETA: After looking at the very very cute designs on tinyprints, I realize that I like what we did - just the whole front of our card was a big photo. No other graphics or design. It's all about the baby, baby! Then the stats and our message on the inside and that's it. A postcard type thing where the photo and the name/stats are all on the front is nice for hanging on fridges and using in scrapbooks (other people's scrapbooks, I don't do them) though.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM

We only did e-mail announcements with DS. This time I'd like to do something more formal. Thanks for the ideas, so far!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I buy greenish card stocks, I bought a stamp that you can just fill in the info by hand after. and little foot print stamps. voila easy and cute.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 AM

One idea that I have is to make an iron on with Babe's name, date of birth, time of birth, etc. and put it on a plain onesie. Then take a picture. The pictures can just be mailed then.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 AM

We are planning on making something on photoshop, and just uploading to Costco to print 4x6 pics that we'll just mail out like that. They are about 17 cents each plus stamp & envelope. ($.50 each?)

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM

: WOW. I am so glad someone posted this. I dodn't know why but I had forgotten about doing announcments!!! One more project for my list.

Mom of 3.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocks_box View Post
OK, here she is:

http://www.autumnfaerydesigns.com/

And here's a link to the Christmas Cards she designed for me - I was so happy with them that I'll use her for my birth announcements.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...sBocksepia.jpg

Amy
Those are BEAUTIFUL! I love the Christmas card and her sample birth announcement. Amazing! Thanks for sharing, I think I'll use her for my birth announcements too. How long did it take for you to get your Christmas cards?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Someone..... (ahem, Willzmama) makes LOVELY cards and sent me one (or at least I THINK she made it)... I'm going to use that one as the announcement for my parents. Not sure what to do for the rest of friends/family!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm doing Shutterfly photo cards, too.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
one idea was to print/design a vintage airplane ticket, and leave blank spots under "arrival" for the date and weight to fill in by hand later. maybe make the "passengers" me, DH and the baby?! or not!?
deb
Super cute idea.

DH is currently a golf junkie : so he is getting 'It's a boy golf balls' printed with baby's name, bd & weight printed on them. Just a few--they are pretty pricey.
He is also a shutterbug. So, Im planning for him to do a little naked newborn shot in sepia, kind of like the ones on the Earth mama angel baby labels for a very simple announcement.

Im a big fan of good paper (watercolor stock or handmade) so that'll be my hunt. In the past I have designed several shower invitations/thank you cards for other moms but it seems that this growing baby takes a lot of your creative juices. However, the original watercolors did come in handy for inexpensive wall decor in the nursery.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM

Still on my list of goals before baby comes, one of them is preparing a template for an "e-Birth Announcement" which is basically just going to be an image file on my computer with a spot left empty to insert a pic. But I am not 100% on this yet, because I really do kind of want to have something in "hard copy" and I'm not sure a PC printout is quite the keepsake I would be satifisfied with. Also, I don't know if I'm going to have time to get around to it now!!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm going to check out Flickr. I've seen some postcard sized cards in my wahm goodies that were made on Flickr. I don't know how much I can add to the photo, but they look really neat. I guess I need to figure this out soon!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

ok, this could work!

photo cards, 95 cents each including envelopes....and custom designed!

http://www.moderninvites.com/birthannouncements.html

Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 AM

I love the one's here http://www.purplestork.com/ I also really like that you can order the design only if you want to print them yourself.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 AM

The golf ball idea reminded me that I was thinking about having M&Ms printed with the name and date. But I don't think I'll bother, just too much work and it's not THAT cute. Maybe if I were an M&M freak or something, but I'm not. This is the site that does it though: http://www.mymms.com/customprint/
Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Those are BEAUTIFUL! I love the Christmas card and her sample birth announcement. Amazing! Thanks for sharing, I think I'll use her for my birth announcements too. How long did it take for you to get your Christmas cards?
Not long because I had her email me the .jpg instead of printing them for me - I was in a hurry because I waited until the last minute!

I think it was like 24 hours total, she emailed me a proof, I approved it, she emailed me the final .jpg and I uploaded it to target.com to be printed in the one-hour photo shop
Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Someone..... (ahem, Willzmama) makes LOVELY cards and sent me one (or at least I THINK she made it)... I'm going to use that one as the announcement for my parents. Not sure what to do for the rest of friends/family!
: I DID make that one, with borrowed stampin' supplies though...

User Tag List