Is this true birth size and shoe size? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay I was watching birthday on Discovery channel this morning. It was the midwifery center in Florida. I am not sure what it is called. I really like watching that center as it has good information etc. Anyway one of the midwife's there said that when the woman come in they always ask shoe size. There is a good indication between shoe size, size of the baby and ability to birth the baby naturally with no intervention. For example if you wear a size 8 shoe and the baby is 6 pounds no problem but if you wore a size 5 and the baby is 10 pounds you probably are not going to have a pelvis big enough to birth the baby. I had not heard of this before and was wondering if it was true?

Heidi
#2 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dunno I wear a size 10 and yeah my pelvis is pretty dang wide even when not pregnant or overweight i will never be a size 6.I have smaller babies though, my largest was 7 lbs 15 oz.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#3 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM

My shoe size has changed significantly from when I had my first baby 11 years ago. with my first my shoe was a 7 and my son was 8lbs 14 oz, and I had no problems delivering him, now my shoe size is a 9 and I"m expecting this baby to be about 7lbs maybe 7 and a half? if I go to term
#4 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Hmmm, that sounds kinda strange

I've always believed that women wouldn't bear a child that couldn't fit through their pelvis naturally (albeit moving and contorting during birth are sometimes needed). I read alot about hip-compression during childbirth in one of Ina May's books, really interesting theory about a certain method of pressure being placed startegically on the hips to widen them. Worked for her many, many times

I wear a size 9 and my 2nd was 10lbs and he literally flew out in one push
#5 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 PM

I think that's weird . I'm barely a size 7. I had a 6 lb 11 oz'er and an 8 pounder. Maybe because it was my second baby and I kind of knew what to expect and do but the bigger baby was an easier labor and delivery.
#6 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lact-o-Mama View Post
I read alot about hip-compression during childbirth in one of Ina May's books, really interesting theory about a certain method of pressure being placed startegically on the hips to widen them. Worked for her many, many times
Oh, we learned that one in our prenatal class, thanks for the reminder. It was really strange though because when we tried it, DH could feel my hips moving but I couldn't feel the difference because of all the relaxin I guess.

I think the shoe size thing is probably a bit of BS. There may be a correlation between hip width and shoe size but I doubt that if you are X shoe size that you can't birth a baby bigger than Y pounds.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#7 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Oh, we learned that one in our prenatal class, thanks for the reminder. It was really strange though because when we tried it, DH could feel my hips moving but I couldn't feel the difference because of all the relaxin I guess.

I think the shoe size thing is probably a bit of BS. There may be a correlation between hip width and shoe size but I doubt that if you are X shoe size that you can't birth a baby bigger than Y pounds.
The midwife did not say you cannot, she just said they knew there might be the need for intervention. She said feet size equates to pelvis size the same way your arm length is the same as your height.

I had the same question about my own feet size. First baby was 8 pounds 13 ounces and I wore a size 6 shoe but third child my feet had grown to a monstrous 9 1/2 and I say monstrous because I started off the pregnancy in a size 6 (they did shrink to a size 8 1/2 though after birth) anyway Levi was 7 pounds 11 ounces.

Heidi
#8 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Not true for me. Size 7 shoe, my biggest baby was 10 pounds.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#9 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Read the article "pelvises I have known and loved". There's a nice story in there about this.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04 View Post
Read the article "pelvises I have known and loved". There's a nice story in there about this.

I just came in to post about that article. Also read 3 studies that show no correlation between the two.

Heidi
#11 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Sounds like hooey.

After spending many years in the midwifery community I have heard many similar theories, lol.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#12 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM

My mom (a CNM) once told me about the "rule of 5's" meaning ring size 5 or under, height 5' or under and shoe size 5 or under might mean a really small pelvis. Of course, I'm 5' tall, wear a size 5 shoe and a 3.75 ring. So I was a little worried. Turns out I had two preemies, a 5 pound 4 ounce one and a 4 pound 1 ounce one, so I never got to test the "rule" and see if it was true! They both were vaginal though, no tears.
#13 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
My mom (a CNM) once told me about the "rule of 5's" meaning ring size 5 or under, height 5' or under and shoe size 5 or under might mean a really small pelvis. Of course, I'm 5' tall, wear a size 5 shoe and a 3.75 ring. So I was a little worried. Turns out I had two preemies, a 5 pound 4 ounce one and a 4 pound 1 ounce one, so I never got to test the "rule" and see if it was true! They both were vaginal though, no tears.
I think it's just another way to make women doubt their own ability to birth. It was the first comment a nurse made to me when I check in in labor with my first. I am 5' 0" tall, wear a size 5 1/2 ring and a size 4 shoe. I was told I couldn't birth my baby as I was checking into the hospital because of that. I ended up with a c-section 12 hours later for cpd.

My current midwives all think I have a quite roomy pelvic inlet based on their measurements. I'm choosing to believe that, rather than the shoe size thing.
#14 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 PM

old wives tale I am sure.
However I do wear an 8 1/2 wide and had a 10lb 4oz baby!
#15 of 22 Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Its totally not accurate! Plus how do they know how big the baby will be anyway? Ultrasound is notoriously inaccurate for sizing.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 AM

LOL - I'll let you know if I find out. I wear a size 12 and have given birth to a 10lb, 5oz baby. We'll see if this one tests the theory.

(and I'll ask my shorty midwife tomorrow what size shoe she has. She gave birth to an 11lb baby no prob.)
#17 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Gina View Post
(and I'll ask my shorty midwife tomorrow what size shoe she has. She gave birth to an 11lb baby no prob.)

Well let her know that she cannot, LOL.

Heidi
#18 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM

A friend of mine has like a size 4 shoe size and had a 7+ lb baby. . .

I think the theory is a load of malarky.

I have size gigantic 10ish feet. My baby was 8.5 and malpositioned and I almost couldn't birth him. I think the flexibility of the pelvis, the moldability of the baby's head, and positioning of everyone involved has more to do than actual sizes.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#19 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM

My shoe size is 8 and my babes were 6.5, 7.7, 7.10, 8.8, 8.6 I guess it rings kind of true for me

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#20 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i wear a size 2.5 shoe (yes in kids) and my first was 8 lbs, my third was 7.14 no problem!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#21 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
Im 5'1" so a little bigger than just five feet, wear a 3 1/4 ring and wear a size 2.5 shoe. my first and third babies were 8lbs, and 7lbs.14oz. i did have a preemie in the middle at 3lbs.11oz. i did have a tought time the first time but that was more becasue of how the birth went not really my body

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#22 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 PM

I've never met anyone else with small ring fingers! MIne is 3.5!

My grandmother is 5', 5 shoe, and wears a size 3.5 ring, and my dad was 10 lbs : !

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page