I have to get induced tomorrow.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please don't flame me, its for medical reasons, she hasn't gained any weight or grown at all in 3 weeks and they are really concerned about the placenta situation because of that. Luckily, I am already starting to dilate and am ~60% effaced on my own so we should be able to proceed otherwise naturally.
And I can't say I am that upset about it. NERVOUS but not upset. I am miserably moody, DH leaves in a week for the Navy - i want this baby out, especially if they are concerned about her health and development....

Does anyone have any POSIITIVE induction stories? I am so sick of everyone (nurses, and family) telling me I MUST have an epidural. I understand there is a time and place for an epidural butI would really like to have an otherwise natural birth if possible. Does anyone have any experience or stories of people who did an induced birth otherwise naturally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM

I don't know have any induction stories...but wanted to say (((HUGS))). I hope you have a wonderful, quick labor! Can't wait to hear the birth story.
#3 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM

if they can start you on low-dose pit & let you move around, it's absolutely do-able! the key is MOVEMENT!!! it's completely possible to walk around with an IV pole & if they insist that you have continual EFM just refuse. tell them you are more than willing to wear a telemetry monitor (if it's available) or to be monitored regularly (15 minutes an hour)....just not continuously. if the contractions are coming too close together you can request the pitocin be turned down. you can wrap up your IV & get in the shower. you'll have to be persistant, though, because hospital protocols are crazy & nurses need to follow them for liability reasons. they'll have to get orders from your OB to do some of these things....especially the intermittent EFM. be strong, mama, and i can't wait to hear about your little one's birth!

blessings & prayers are with you!

stephanie asl.gif

#4 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM

I was induced with my first and my third for two different reasons both positive epidural free births

baby one I was overdue (only 41 weeks) and starting to get high bp, I went in on a saturday and they placed a foley catheter with the balloon inflated in my uterus putting pressure on my cervix to help it efface and dialate. Then I went back to labor and delivery on monday morning had the catheter removed and started on pitocin by around noon, my son was born 2 and a half hours later I was 4 cm dialated from the foley to begin with and I went from 4-10 in 30 minutes although it did take a full two hours of pushing to get him out (if I had waited till I felt the need to push I could have saved myself a lot of energy) I took no pain meds and no epidural with him.

baby #3 my membranes had been ruptured for 24 hours and without a negative strep b test I was very concerned about developing an infection so I requested to be induced, my son was posterior and the labor although it only took 4 hours was a lot worse than any of my other labors and I used some laughing gas to get over a hump where I felt like I was losing control (likely transition) he was born sunny side up with both of us alert, aware and able to bond immediately

I found it very difficult to ask for the gas for pain relief, because I had a real mind set that med free labors were the gold standard and that I was failing somehow, but there is nothing wrong with asking for medication if you know that is what you want, how its going to be used, how its going to affect you and the baby. Sometimes its necessary. Most of the time its not especially if you have the freedom to move during labor that your body needs. I think this is why induced labors are so much harder, because moms are essentially tied to the bed, you can get up and stand beside it but you don't have full freedom of movement and its a big fiasco to unplug all the monitors for you to do something simple like go to the bathroom

I hope all goes well with your baby and your birth
#5 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM

just like the pp said, insist on the intermittant monitoring it will make all the difference and move
#6 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Sending you lots of love and support and wishes for a good labor! You'll meet your babe soon!!!

Grace Comes.

#7 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM

I agree with above...move around and ask for the intermittent EFM and the low dose pit! You'll do fine!

Can't wait to hear about your new baby!

Pam
#8 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Just wanted to wish you (((Goood Labor Vibes))) for tomorrow!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#9 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM

My 2nd and 3rd were both induced for different reasons. My second was the easiest birth ever. Seriously. I went in in the a.m. I was about 3cm when they started the pit. by 10 a.m. I was 5, my waters broke when they checked me, they turned the pit off and He was born about 11:55a.m. after maybe 15min. pushing. My aunt was their w/ labor massage oil that had clary sage in it rubbing my back and my DH had a hot compress of clary sage pressed *hard* on my pubis symphosis bone. I went through transition very calmly and was totally able to stay in control of the process (mentally and physically). I was able to walk around, although I didn't find that I wanted to much...my aunt and her massage oil worked magically, so I was content to hang out and let her do the work.

My 3rd wasn't as great and I ended up w/ an epidural but my support system wasn't nearly as good and I wasn't as mentally ready for the induction, KWIM? My aunt wasn't their w/ her magic hands and my poor DH could only do so much. And I think they had turned the pit up as high as it would go...I wish I'd been more assertive and asked that they turn it down. PLus, I had a lot less accomodationg Dr. and nursing staff, so that didn't help. He was still born in about 5hrs. though and only about 15min. of pushing and I didn't have any negative effects from the epidural.

you can do it, mama! and you *must* know that you are doing what is best for your baby...and ultimately both of you leaving the hospital healthy and happy is what matters...regardless of how the actual birth goes!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#10 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM

No induction story here...just sending lots of peaceful labor vibes your way, mama

How exciting, you get to meet your baby tomorrow!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#11 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Wishing you luck! Sometimes inductions are truely needed. No flaming here.
#12 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 PM

GOOD LUCK and i second what vegan baby said: no flames here! just lots of love from your DDC!!!!!

soon it will all be over and you will see your babe!!

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#13 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM

happy labor vibes to you! a friend of mine was induced very early for pre-e. she managed without the epidural.

you'll be holding your baby soon
#14 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 04:14 PM

best of luck to you mama!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#15 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM

I don't have any stories for you, but I wanted to wish you a healthy delivery! Good luck!
#16 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Yes! Find what feels best for you - if that means moving around, insist on moving around. If it means lying down (it didn't for me!), then do that. I do believe pitocin contractions are harder, but it sounds like your body is ready and you are in a good state of mind to go with it.

Enjoy your last night of pregnancy! Video tape your belly moving around, take any last pictures, take a bath, have a ton of sex (if you want to LOL), everything you can think of!!
#17 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM

See if you can start on cervadal (cervadil?) instead of pitocin. It's a little tablet kind of thing attached to a string that they insert inside your vagina, pressed up against the cervix. It starts to dilate the cervix. They used that when I was induced because I was at 42 weeks, and they pulled it out a few hours later and the rest of my labor was totally natural.
#18 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Good luck, mama!! You can do it! Just think of holding your little baby so soon.
#19 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 PM

You can do it! I did it one year ago April 10th. It was not easy, but what labor is. It was intense, but I did not have the epidural so go for it. You will definitely feel like you can take on anything if you can get through a pitocin induction without the epidural. Hang in there. Praying for your little one. YOU CAN DO IT!
#20 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM

You're having a baby tomorrow!!!
Good luck with the induction - I think you've gotten great advice.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#21 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Sorry, no personal experience, but ask about non-pitocin induction to start...and keep active - no matter what the nurses say, you can get out of bed, and you don't need to be strapped up
Happy birthing!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#22 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm sure you've gotten some good advice (I don't have time to read it all though) but I'll 2 stories for you.

I've never been induced but my SIL was both times b/c of big babies (and this time they were right). She went all natural both times too. She sd that the key was to move around. She even had moniters on the whole time but she was able to walk around the room and move as she needed to in the bed. I was with her for both deliveries and while they were tough she did it and if you have that drive then so can you! Don't listen to the nurses say you have to have an epi, they tried it w/ her, just have your DH stay strong that YOU will ask for it if YOU need it not when SHE needs you to have it. The nurses want you to have one b/c its easier for them (my cousin is a nurse and thats what she told me).

So my dear good luck tomorrow. I'll keep you in my thoughts and my prayers that you have a safe, fast, easy delivery!

Update us when you can.
#23 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck you can do it.

Heidi
#24 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I am sure you will have a great birth Can't wait to hear all about your new little one!

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#25 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM

I was induced with my second before my support system was going to be there, luckily I had hired a doula, she was great.It was a 2 hr labor partly because DS was ready I had been trying to hold out til my support system could get there, but I was able to do it without any pain meds.I was scared becuase I thought it would mean an instant C section since this was back in San Diego and they love doing them.
Things that helped: staying out of that dang bed! They broke my water,hooked me up to the fetal monitors and pitocin and IV fluids and BP cuff and then expected me to spend the whole labor in bed using a bedpan on a stool next to the bed!
Luckily my doula knew what to unhook me from so that I could use the bathroom like a normal person and do some good squats over the toilet.I had to pee so much from the fluids I would have voerrun that stupid bed pan anyway. The nurse wsn't happy but she didn't insist on me getting back in bed.
I spent most of the labor in the nice cool bathroom.I moved to leaning over the side of the bed and did and said whatever I felt like.
The contractions were really intense especially at the end, they never let up so if I hadn't already been ready to push I think I would have asked for pain meds if I could have gotten that sentence out but I was pretty locked into labor land.They tried to make me wear an oxygen mask but it was annoying me so I threw it aside.
You can do it!!
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!Have a safe quick birth and enjoy your sweetling!

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#26 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM

You just need to remember the following phrase... real easy, two words....

"MAKE ME"

Do what you feel you need to do to make things easier for you and your baby and your body. And when they tell you that you HAVE to do such-and-such just repeat that phrase.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#27 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 PM

No flames from me either. I was induced with my son 3.5 years ago due to pre-e. Epidural was recommended due to my high blood pressure. Midwife indicated that HBP and pain was not good mix.

Good news is that I had a relatively fast dilation. I had the epidural turned off at the end so I could squat etc.

It wasn't the ideal experience but I felt a sense of accomplishment when it was over.

Good luck and happy baby bonding!
#28 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Just wanted to say good luck, you'll be fine!

#29 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Good luck to you. Hope all goes well.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#30 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Not in your DDC - not even pregnant at the moment but happy birthing to you! Both mine were induced and the difference in the births is astounding to me. My first was horrible and very long but I wasn't dilated any when I went to the hospital and I think they full-strengthed the pitocin right away. My second started off with a low dose of pitocin and I was already a couple centimeters dilated. I was able to walk around and manage the pain quite well. After a couple hours, I requested they stop the pitocin to see if labor would keep going and it continued to progress after that. The birth was much shorter than my first (40 hours shorter!). I wouldn't recommend induction for anyone who doesn't need it for their health reasons but my second birth was very nice even with the induction.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page