about that cervix check... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can we just say OW! i decided to go ahead and have it done today and it was fairly painful. the baby has dropped and she can feel her/his head right there, but my cervix is behind the head (more towards my butt) so she had a hard time feeling it. she stopped after it became apparent that it was painful - she said she *thinks* i am dilated to 1. and now i am bleeding - yuck. she also told me that she suspects i will have more low belly cramps as my cervix moves forward to get under the baby's head. i say bring it on!
#2 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 PM

I've never had a check that wasn't painful, although the nurses at the hospital when I had dd seemed down right mean spirited when they were doing them..they could atleast try to not make me feel like I'm being turned into a puppet..kwim?
#3 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Ugh! I am contemplating having one at my appt. tomorrow, since I'll be having the GBS swab anyway ... hmmm ... pain and bleeding doesn't sound fun.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#4 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

i think it was painful and caused bleeding because she had to try to reach so far back to find my cervix - but i certainly wasn't expecting it - i've never had a painful exam before. my ob has really nice long fingers
#5 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
my ob has really nice long fingers
I'm sure he would take that as a compliment
#6 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM

Yipes! I didn't know it would hurt! I don't know if my midwife does them, but maybe I'll decline in that case!
#7 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

i didn't mean to scare everyone - like i said, i really think it was painful because my cervix is in a bit of an odd position right now. don't worry everybody - i bet your checks won't be painful at all!
#8 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM

I had a gbs at my last appointment a week ago, and my doc did an internal. He was also concerned that babe was breech, so he tried to feel for her head against my cervix. OW!!! Not only did he have to get way way up there, but he took the opportunity to push down on the top of my belly (to puch the babe down to see if he could feel her head).

OMG. I was pissed. I sat up and said "was all that really necessary?" No more cervix check for me, thanks.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#9 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 01:04 PM

My cervix checks haven't been painful until this last one early in the week. She was really reaching to find the cervix and then when she did--she kept poking around (I think to feel the head) and it was very painful. I haven't bled -- but like I wrote in another post lost my plug the next morning and now I'm continuing to lose huge chunks...and have a lot of contractions.
#10 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 PM

My cervix is the same right now. It's tucked way up behind the head. I had a ve while in labor with ds with a very posterior cervix. OMG that was so painful!! I'm not a screamer but I think I was screaming then. Sorry if that's scary but fyi they can really hurt during labor. Looking forward to ZERO ve's this pregnancy!!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#11 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
My cervix checks haven't been painful until this last one early in the week. She was really reaching to find the cervix and then when she did--she kept poking around (I think to feel the head) and it was very painful. I haven't bled -- but like I wrote in another post lost my plug the next morning and now I'm continuing to lose huge chunks...and have a lot of contractions.
She could have been stripping your membranes.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#12 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 02:42 PM

What exactly does "strippping membranes" mean/entail?

How is it different from breaking the bag of water?

And (how) can they do it without your permission?
#13 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 02:44 PM

My midwife offered at my last appointment, but I declined.
IMO the risks outweigh the possible benefits.
#14 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM

I had my midwife check me last time too and it was painful but pffftt....we're about to give birth!! This is nothing compared to that The only reason it was painful is because she practically had to shove her whole hand up there to reach my cervix.

ILANA
#15 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilana View Post
pffftt....we're about to give birth!!
When I gave birth to my son, I was highly medicated.... After the cervix check being so painful, I'm scared (again) have this baby without meds.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#16 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post
What exactly does "strippping membranes" mean/entail?

How is it different from breaking the bag of water?

And (how) can they do it without your permission?

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...Membranes.html

I have read several threads on here about providers doing this w/o informing the patient.
#17 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM

No cervical checks for me until I'm in active labor. I hate them.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#18 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

stripping the membranes is just when they run their finger around the opening of the cervix

Honestly, no one should do that with out permission but they do it all the time.

Cervical checks SHOULD NOT HURT and you should not bleed after one.
If you do, then more likely then not your Midwife/ob was stripping or trying to. Shame on them!

One more reason to avoid internals.
#19 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

i honestly don't think she was trying to strip my membranes - she asked me beforehand if i wanted my membranes stripped and i said no. she also asked me if i wanted her to tell me the results of the cervix check and i said yes.
#20 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 PM

I had a check this morning when my OB did the GBS swab. (I actually was glad, because I've been feeling kind of "contractiony" and wanted reassurance that everything was closed up.) It wasn't painful at all, just felt pretty much the same as when I used to check my own cervix daily when we were using FAM for birth control.

For the record, cervix is closed, and baby is "nowhere near the pelvis", which IMHO is a good thing at 35 weeks.
#21 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Cervical checks SHOULD NOT HURT and you should not bleed after one.
I'm not disagreeing with you here.... because I don't really know. But in my experience, cervical checks hurt. Not because doc is stripping - but because my vagina (not cervix) is swollen and tender. It doesn't hurt my cervix.

Maybe there is another explanation for cervical checks hurting other than stripping?

#22 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM

I was dilated 3cm when my midwife checked mine, so maybe that's why it hurt. I'd bet my life she wasn't trying to strip my membranes. I tried to talk her partner into breaking my water while I was at a checkup last week..no dice. I told them they're too ethical
#23 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 PM

It's really easy to cause a pregnant cervix to bleed.

After all these posts to our board about *really* low babies I'm thinking mine isn't as dropped as all of yours I guess I will wait and see if I want to have a vag exam tomorrow. . .I'd just love to hear that I'm more than 2-3 cm (I was less than 3 cm FOREVER last time)

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#24 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you here.... because I don't really know. But in my experience, cervical checks hurt. Not because doc is stripping - but because my vagina (not cervix) is swollen and tender. It doesn't hurt my cervix.

Maybe there is another explanation for cervical checks hurting other than stripping?

Hurting and uncomfortable are totally different as well as the pain tolerance levels of each of us.
Also you have to take in acount the midwife or OB, are they just rough or gentle?

In general, Internal exams should NOT hurt.
#25 of 25 Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
After all these posts to our board about *really* low babies I'm thinking mine isn't as dropped as all of yours I guess I will wait and see if I want to have a vag exam tomorrow. . .
if it's any consolation, the only real indicator i had that the baby has dropped is my heartburn disappeared. when i was laying down today, the midwife showed me how i have more room at the top of my belly than i had before and i was also measuring smaller. my belly doesn't look different to me and it isn't something i really noticed. i don't have a lot of pressure down low or anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page