Too Embarrassed to take a belly pic... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 37w5d and I haven't taken any. I have so many stretch marks, and I don't have the 'typical round belly'. I look in the mirror, and I just want to cry. I want to go down to a local beach and take something because I know I'll regret it forever. (plus, I'm sure my daughter will want to see at least ONE picture, KWIM?) I also feel like I really don't have long before she comes, and then i'll have no more chances to take one. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Hey, I was wondering where you'd been lately. I know it sounds cliche but I like to think that there is no such thing as the 'typical round belly' ...up until, I swear, a week or two ago I just looked like I was getting really fat and I was trying not to let it get to me but I know deep down it sorta was! I already had stretch marks before I got pg, so the couple extras I got haven't shocked me too bad, but now that I am getting bigger they are more noticeable and are a bit startling. Do you have a belly band or just a tight t-shirt? If you don't feel comfortable taking bare belly pics, maybe you could have covered up ones?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Honey, just take one w/ your shirt on then. You don't have to expose your belly if you don't want too. You could always take a naked belly shot and not share it w/ anyone just keep it if you want too.

Go down to the beach and take some pics w/ your shirt on w/ your hands on your belly. Your belly is BEAUTIFUL b/c you have a life in there that you are protecting and growing. All our bellies are different. And your stretch marks are a badge of honor that you are blessed to be carring that precious little girl.

Don't focus on the bad but only on the good. You CAN do it!

Take care and its good to see you back around! I've been thinking of you.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) ))))))
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Mama! Please don't feel embarrased. Now is the time we should embrace our bodies...pregnant and postpartum! Its amazing what our bodies can do!
http://www.theshapeofamother.com/
I love this site!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

DH and I have been dealing with alot lately. I had to be hospitalized for my depression for a few days and have been struggling with it. We also had to buy a new car somewhat unexpectedly yesterday because our old one was really old and needed 2Ks worth of repairs (basically total-ing the car..) So things have just been crazy and difficult, that's where I've been...

Anyways, mayibe tonight when DH and I have some time, we could take some pics with me dressed. I don't think I will like them now, but maybe 10 years down the road I might. Several members of the family have been asking for some pics.

I just finished baking a cake, I think I'm going to go get a piece.... mmm Chocolate....
Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm sorry you've been struggling so much! I have struggled with depression in the past : So, besides your dh, will you have help after the baby is here? Any friends or other support system? I had a very hard time after the birth of dd1. I was never diagnosed (I never told anybody) but I am certain I was experiencing PPD. For me, being responsible for a baby and the changing dynamics of my relationship with dh was so hard for me. Maybe you could go to Fleet and Family Services on base? I live on a Navy base in central CA (Lemoore NAS) and FFS is always offering classes like "Mom and Me" which is more for mom than baby.

On the subject of pictures...I only have 1 or 2 pics of me pregnant with dd1 and maybe 1 with dd2. Its never really bothered me (that I didn't take more formal pics). Just take them with your shirt on if that makes you feel better. Someday, it will be neat to look back and remember.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM

I only have one picture of my mom when she was pregnant with me. She is fully clothed and it's at her baby shower. It is one of my most treasured possessions, and is displayed on top of my desk right now. So, I think you should totally have a picture or two taken, clothed or not.

And I agree that stretch marks can be beautiful! I love mine. They remind me of tiger stripes. (That having been said, I will also tell you that 18 months after my son's birth, I belly danced in Seattle's Fremont Solstice Parade, and in the photos, you can't see the stretch marks at all. They faded almost to invisibility after each pregnancy.)
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Aw, mama! I've wondered where you were, too. Sorry you've had a rough time, to say the least. Pregnancy is supposed to be this great experience, but life isn't always what it's supposed to be. and to let you know you're not alone, I spent spring break of my senior year in high school in the hospital with depression - so much for that time of my life. Take a pic, leave the shirt on, rip it off if you feel inclined. Having a pic is better than not and no one has to ever see it unless you choose to let them.

again

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 PM

been thinking about you, Kathryn!

I think we should meet at the beach and take photos of each other. Isn't the ice plant in full bloom down by Lover's Point?? What a gorgeous background that would make! Surrounded by all those pink flowers, rocks and crashing waves!!!

And, FWIW...I think you have a beautiful, round, very obiously full of baby belly!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM

I've been wondering how you are. I'm sorry things have been rough lately. I agree that you should take a pic. I also think it's great to try to re-examine body image expectations. I can't wait to explore that website above.
http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.php has been helpful to me too (caution: contains pictures of nude breasts). I have all sorts of body image issues and I know it's easier to say than to feel, but our bodies don't have to look like a model to be beautiful

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM

I don't think you need to zoom in too closely to your naked belly for a good picture, so any stretch marks might not be seen, anyway! Give it a shot! I posed nude for some pics recently - it was rather liberating. I was quite proud of myself.

User Tag List