my sister is crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another thread got me thinking about what a nut my sister is. I called her last week to complain that I thought the baby was breech (dd1 was, this little guy is not ). After weighing everything out I had resigned myself to the fact that if I couldn't get him to turn I'd end up with a c-section. I called my sister because she's had 2 and I just wanted some sort of reassurance that if I had one everything would be okay...you know? It scares the hell out of me and I thought she'd say something like, "Its not great, but you and baby will get through it!" Here's the conversation we really had:

Sis: Oh Stacey, you will LOVE your c-section!
me: huh?
Sis: there's no stress....
me: but its major abdominal surgery...
Sis: But just think, you'll get to pick your baby's birthday!
me: are you serious?
Sis: and their heads come out nice and round, not all cone-shaped
me: :
Sis: believe me, you'll LOVE it

This is the same woman who, after seeing me deliver dd2, commented that she couldn't believe I was up walking around and looked fine within minutes of birthing. She's also the same person who made me feel humiliated when I had a very small BM while pushing dd2 out. She was mature enough to scrunch up her nose and giggle that it was "so gross" while holding my leg for me. She's also the same person that, after overhearing me mention that this baby will not be circ'd, said, "Eeeew! Won't he look funny?!?"

Anybody want to trade sisters? She's 32yo people, my 17yo sister is more mature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM

Oh, man! Sounds like you should probably not turn to her for anymore birth/labor advice. But I understand wanting to talk to her about it since she's btdt, but still. Some people just live their lives on a completely different wavelength that others.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#3 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 PM

ROFL That is SOOOOO funny!!! I can hear her exactly. I have three sisters, one with three kids (three c-sections, but the first one was not a choice and it's not within her reality to even think about a VBAC). I did not ask her for any advice when I was pregnant the first time, or right afterwards. I heard from my mom that she was a little upset I wasn't calling her everyday asking her what to do. Then SHE had a baby after mine, and she has been SO AP with it, it's really cool. Still nursing at 20 months, they sleep together, she hardly ever leaves her with other people, etc. With her first baby, my parents had the baby overnight once a week from very early on - pumped breastmilk but still!

Anyway... it's good she's been happy with her experience. Different strokes for different folks. And, yeah, sometimes sisters aren't the people we have the most in common with. I have very little in common with any of my sisters. Sometimes it's hard to believe we came from the same parents!
#4 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM

What the heck happened in your life and her life that resulted in two totally different outcomes?

Seriously. I want to know in case I ever have a dauhghter.

I am lucky. I saw my sister homebirth when I was 12. My other sister thinks epidurals are dandy, but she nursed her daugher for almost three years.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#5 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Wow. It's crazy how some people can actually think that way, huh.

Rebecca

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#6 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why do you call her at times like this?

Well, at least she was positive?
#7 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
What the heck happened in your life and her life that resulted in two totally different outcomes?

Seriously. I want to know in case I ever have a dauhghter.
I think I am the way I am despite my upbringing. My brother and I are both "different". My brother is vegan, extrememly anti-consumerism (he finds everything he has and lives in the woods with his dog in the back of his truck), and is tattooed/pierced from head to toe We didn't have the greatest childhood, but instead of seeing it for what it was (really crappy) its like my big sis thinks it was normal and my brother and I were just weak and couldn't handle it. Its funny, because none of my friends can stand to be around my sister. I can barely get dh to go visit them once a year. My poor brother leaves the house whenever she shows up because he has a really hard time with conflict/stress. My sister made a passive aggressive comment about co-sleeping and breastfeeding the other day. Something about not wanting any of her babies in bed with her so she wouldn't be one of those moms with a kid "hanging off her tit all the time". That comment made me feel all warm inside. Seriously, if I don't laugh, I'll cry.
#8 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 PM

My older sister does not know where I am birthing or how I am birthing for that matter. She will pretty much be unsupportive or say something really stupid. My younger sisters know and are very excited for me.
#9 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Why do you call her at times like this?

Well, at least she was positive?
I guess. I don't know why I made the mistake of calling her about this. I blame my temporary pregnancy-induced insanity.
#10 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, anyway, if you need support, go on over to the vbac board and post a question. The people there are great.
#11 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM

You're sister is nuts! I have had 2 vag births & 2 c-sec....vag births recovery are WAY easier! Right now my ribs are so darn sore that it hurts to breathe (from all the retraction to get her out!)

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#12 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
You're sister is nuts! I have had 2 vag births & 2 c-sec....vag births recovery are WAY easier! Right now my ribs are so darn sore that it hurts to breathe (from all the retraction to get her out!)
aw momma, I'm sorry! Congrats on the birth of your sweet girl I hope nobody thinks I'm knocking c-sections. I would have one in an instant if I needed to, I just wouldn't look forward to it like my sister does
#13 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM

i'm a little surprised at her saying that a c-section is "no stress". i found mine to be quite stressful - i was really scared. plus, it was really hard being separated from ds right off the bat. dh went with him, but i was so freaked out i really wanted dh to stay with me, but sent him with ds anyway, you know? i don't know, no stress just isn't my take on the whole process.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page