How are you sleeping these last weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious how well others are sleeping?

I was sleeping great up until this week. I'm not sure what happened. Now, I'm worried that I'll be too tired to make thru when labor time rolls around.

Each of the last 3 or 4 nights I've been up about every two hours, to go to the bathroom, or with bad heartburn, or just to roll over with my big, BIG belly.

I don't remember having sleep problems like this last pregnancy. In fact, last time, the day I went into labor I had a great night's sleep and felt great pretty much all day.
#2 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 PM

I have the hardest time falling asleep at night! And now it's throwing me into one of those cycles where I'm so exhausted from not sleeping at night that I take several naps during the day and then I'm not tired at night so the problem is just perpetuated!!!

I figure, if nothing else, I'll be used to being up all night when the girls arrive...
#3 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 05:44 PM

It's different every day.

I had to stop eating and drinking within 2-3 hours of bedtime to prevent heartburn and the bathroom trips (and it doesn't always work anyhow).

If I can get a block of 3-4 hours straight at some point during the night, I can somewhat function during the day. But I have a night-nursing toddler, so I am used to sleep deprivation - regardless of my pregnancy.

My sleep problems were at least this bad during the last month with DS1.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#4 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm not! It's insane... I'm so tired, but I can't sleep to save my life. I DID get a couple of hours last night (I'm shocked!) but the problem is by the time I finally nod off at 7 or 8 am, I'm in bed WAAAYYYY too late for my liking!
#5 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Sleeping is really a pain right now..... Hoping to get at least one good night before the babe gets here.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#6 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 06:17 PM

on the couch....

it's much softer on my hips & i can elevate my head which helps with the nighttime congestion. plus, when i have insomniac moments i just flip on the TV which usually puts me right to sleep. (i'm soooo caught up on the news right now!). on the nights when i start in bed (because dh isn't too thrilled with the sleeping arrangements) i usually end up downstairs on the couch anyway.

stephanie asl.gif

#7 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM

what's sleeping?

i haven't done it in months heh. i think i might try the couch tonight, too, my bed has just been soooo uncomfortable.
#8 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM

I've only been napping at night between bathroom trips and night nursing since I've known I was pregnant.I haven't slept through the night in years.
What does suck right now is that it really hurts to roll over cuz of the big belly.I have to plan it out and try to heave myself out of bed.Then there's the hip pain that just started up.I have a pillow top mattress and have been sleeping on two comforters folded up and still feel pain.At least its not as bad as the first morning I woke up and tried to walk before I added the padding.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#9 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 PM

I haven't slept in over three years so why should now be any different? Last two nights were a bit better than before because I didn't have a two hour awake period but I still wake up 500 times a night to pee, because my hips and ribs hurt, to comfort my daughter, to nudge DH because he's snoring...I've stopped thinking about it, though. ITs' just a state of being for me and so long as I can get through my day I'm happy!

ILANA
#10 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM

not great. Some nights are better than others. I usually nap for about 10-20 minutes when I get home from work because if I sleep any longer I'll be a complete zombie for the rest of the day. My back is killing me and it really hurts to roll over these days. What I would give to be able to sleep on my back! I started taking Zantac again because the heartburn has been constant and making me absolutley miserable. It has helped tremendously! I think I can do this for another week or two
#11 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Not so well. Before, even though I had been getting up to go to the bathroom a few times a night, I was always able to just come back to bed and get back to sleep. Lately, its been taking me longer and longer to fall back asleep. I'm exhausted and very, very cranky!
#12 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM

Not sleeping well. I wake and role over alot. Not to mention pee. Lots of pressure and aches and pains. I have always been very aware of my body, so being pregnant, I notice everything.

I don't know how I made it thru three other pregnancies without my body pillow tho. I LOVE it. Without it, I know sleeping would be even worse. The thing only cost $13 at Costco and that was the best $13 I've ever spent I think.

Rebecca

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#13 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Sleep? What's that?
I don't think I've slept more than 2-3 hours in a row since first trimester. At first it was just peeing all the time, but now I also wake up because my hips hurt so much.
#14 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 PM

I sleep REALLY deeply. So deeply, in fact, that I almost always wake up with the annoying trench marks of the seams of my clothing and with pillow-face.
I guess I shouldn't complain about that here though. I don't suspect I'll get much sympthy. Those trench marks hurt though. I have to remember to sleep with my clothes inside out. Maybe I should try sleeping naked, though that never sat well with me. I'm scared of a house fire.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#15 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM

I have been sleeping great but for some reason last night was just awful.

I felt all wired and never got into a deep sleep. Nothing like seeing every hour of the night pass

I am tired of being preggo.

Am 38 week 3 days and I normally go late
#16 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Pretty well, but last night not so great. I couldn't get to sleep til almost 1 (went to bed at 11:30, usually go at 10:30, but I did nap for an hour yesterday). Luckily I usually get up to pee only once or twice.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#17 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM

I sleep like the dead. I usually half wake up around 5 am because I have to pee but I ignore that and go back to sleep until 8. I feel full of energy when I wake up too. : I don't know why it's so different this time. I have always had terrible pregnancy insomnia, back aches, leg cramps, heartburn before.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#18 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 PM

I was sleeping horribly due to my hips killing me after laying on them for a couple hours. Two things happened the baby went head first and I purchased a memory foam mattress topper. Both have helped the hip issue immensely so I'm sleeping a little better. Still have to get up to drink and pee but now I'm actually having dreams so I know some REM sleep is occurring...thank God!

Don't worry about not having enough sleep for labor. I've always gone into labor in late evening/very early mornings and have labored on full days with no sleep. Once that adreneline kicks in you'll be fine!!! I don't even know what it would be like to labor after a full night's sleep...hmmm...maybe this time!

Take Care, Pam
#19 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I sleep REALLY deeply. So deeply, in fact, that I almost always wake up with the annoying trench marks of the seams of my clothing and with pillow-face.
I guess I shouldn't complain about that here though. I don't suspect I'll get much sympthy. Those trench marks hurt though. I have to remember to sleep with my clothes inside out. Maybe I should try sleeping naked, though that never sat well with me. I'm scared of a house fire.
You have my sympathy, I have the exact same problems. It's not even just the seams on my clothes, it's any wrinkles in the clothes or sheets or anything. And you're right, they HURT. Naked helps, and since a few weeks ago I started getting really hot and sweaty at night, naked is the only way to go or I boil to death! I still get up to pee once a night, and often go to bed with something on and just strip down when I get up for my pee and then sleep for another 5-6 hours straight through. It's a nice change because I WAS suffering from insane insomnia off and on. Heck, even when not pregnant I had wicked insomnia for years.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#20 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 PM

...but my midwife gave me a sample of Wishgarden Herbs "sleep well" tincture for pregnancy. It tastes good and seems to help.
#21 of 24 Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 AM

I'm up at least 3-4 times a night to pee. And making the effort to get out of bed is getting to be almost unbearable. My lower back and hips are hurting so badly. I've had random bouts of heartburn, but I've got the papaya enzymes right next to my bed for that... Luckily, I night weaned my nursling early in this pregnancy. I don't know how you mamas are doing it that are still night nursing!! But I do have to say that I am looking forward to night nursing a newborn again.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#22 of 24 Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Aweful. It's hard to fall asleep, and by the time I'm out I need to pee again.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#23 of 24 Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
on the couch....

it's much softer on my hips & i can elevate my head which helps with the nighttime congestion.
me too that's where I spend a good chunk of my night now
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
I've only been napping at night between bathroom trips and night nursing since I've known I was pregnant.I haven't slept through the night in years.
Here to, I've got two kids that still wake at night so between peeing, my husband coming home from night shift (I don't know why he thinks its okay to talk to me when its 130 in the morning) and the kids waking up I'm lucky if I sleep 2 hours in a row
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
I don't know how I made it thru three other pregnancies without my body pillow tho. I LOVE it. Without it, I know sleeping would be even worse. The thing only cost $13 at Costco and that was the best $13 I've ever spent I think.

Rebecca
I have a body pillow that i've used for my last two pregnancies its named "BOB" its a joke between dh and I. This time I bought another one its named "BOBETTE" lol keeps him away from me and I"m able to roll side to side and have a pillow on each side to lean onto
#24 of 24 Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
Here to, I've got two kids that still wake at night so between peeing, my husband coming home from night shift (I don't know why he thinks its okay to talk to me when its 130 in the morning) and the kids waking up I'm lucky if I sleep 2 hours in a row
Well, at least it's not just MY DH that does that.... he likes to have a snack and check his email after work, nude, and get all nice and cold, then climb in next to me and by then he's FREEZING and tries to cuddle... at 3 or 4 am. *sigh* He's usually quiet though...

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page