what exactly is bloody show? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it always accompanied by the mucous plug? is it always new blood or can it be brown blood?

some of you may have seen my post earlier this week about a painful cervix check that caused bleeding. i am still bleeding (nothing alarming) - light and all old blood, but am surprised to still have it friday (my check was on wednesday). so, i am wondering if this could still be from my cervix check or if i could be having bloody show (haven't had sex - am really going to try to go for that this weekend a few times - my due date is wednesday).
#2 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 03:41 PM

I'll share my experience - with DD I lost my plug on Thursday and had her Monday morning. I had a bloody show I want to say 2-3 hours before she was born (ctxs were 4ish minutes apart and I was 4 cm dilated). As I recall (it was 4 years ago) it was not a lot, just a good smear and was dark red or reddish brown. If you are STILL bleeding, I'm not sure it's the "show." I wouldn't think you should still be bleeding, but I am totally guessing. I'm interested to see what other more educated mamas say.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM

im sorry, I am no help at all. I have never lost my plug or had bloody show prior to labor. Never seen it.
#4 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Bloody show is often accompanied by the mucus plug because subtle cervical changes and dialation cause both. When the cervix changes it releases the mucus and tiny blood vessels break. Some peoples' plugs detach whole, some detach partly and come out in streaks, some are released just a bit at a time and aren't recognized in a "hey, that's my plug!" way. Some peoples' bloodvessels (I'm having a bad spelling day) are stronger than others' and depending on the type of cervical change occuring some people are going to bleed a bit more than others. There's just a big set of variation for these two things.

So the answer is that they don't always come in any particular way, but they do often come together just because the same thing brings both.

I would suspect that your initial bleeding from Wed. might be prolonged because you also have a bit of change happening too. But it's hard to say, YK?

ETA--because they are so commonly together I do honestly think of them as interchangable terms, even though I guess techniquely(sp, again) they probably shouldn't be.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#5 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM

Well--with DS1 I lost my mucus plug at 38.5 weeks and it was a big glob with some brownish cm with it. I went into labor at 41 weeks and had bloody show after hours of contractions (following a cervical check) and DS was born about 17 hours later. With DS2 I don't remember losing my plug but remembered the bloody show at 41 weeks hours before my contractions became regular and I knew I was in labor. Both times for me it was bright red blood mixed in ewcm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page