tell me about - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
evening primrose oil. what do you know about it. links? how much? when? where? why? what does it do?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what i know is that it is a cervix softener - a natural type of prostaglandin (the stuff that is also found in sperm). it won't start labor if your body isn't ready, but it will help things if your body is. my doula and midwife have me taking two gel capsules orally (starting at around 36 weeks) and then two inserted vaginally (capsules pricked and as high as i can get it) starting at 38 weeks, so a total of 4 a day by 38 weeks.
#3 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
what i know is that it is a cervix softener - a natural type of prostaglandin (the stuff that is also found in sperm). it won't start labor if your body isn't ready, but it will help things if your body is. my doula and midwife have me taking two gel capsules orally (starting at around 36 weeks) and then two inserted vaginally (capsules pricked and as high as i can get it) starting at 38 weeks, so a total of 4 a day by 38 weeks.
so about how many mg is that?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 10:39 AM

my capsules are 500mg/pill, so i a consuming around 2000mg/day at this stage.
#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

ok I see. I have some 1000mg capsules in the kitchen that I use for my sons skin issues. Maybe Ill take some too.

#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM

My doula just recommended EPO to me so I think I'm going to pick some up later. She suggested the 2x orally and 1x vaginally as well.
#7 of 9 Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 AM

My MW said 4oomg orally 2x/day, but the kind I got was 1300 mg so I only take one. Today she said my cervix is very soft, I've been taking them almost 2 weeks.

She also suggested using EPO as a lubricant for perineal massage, haven't done that yet.
#8 of 9 Old 05-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Is there any reason NOT to do EPO? I am searching but not finding anything. Any possible risks, side effects, anything??
#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
Is there any reason NOT to do EPO? I am searching but not finding anything. Any possible risks, side effects, anything??
I don't think there are any risks, but my mw's told me not to take it this time. I guess if your cervix doesn't thin easily, then its good, but it can also prolong labor in some women. That was the first I had heard that, but I went with the advice and didn't take any.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page