Panic attack?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what a panic attack or an anxiety attack feels like? Does anyone know if they are common in pregnancy or anything to worry about?

Now that the baby has dropped a bit, I can breathe much better generally; but last night when I was trying to sleep I started having this feeling like.. the only way I could think to describe it was when you're on a rollercoaster, and you've gotten to the top of a really steep incline, and you're about to go down but you freak out and want to get off but there's no way that you can... so you get that pain in your gut, and you can't breathe (at this point, on a rollercoaster, you'd probably scream because it's the only way you can seem to get air in our out)..? Does anyone KWIM? It was so weird and it lasted for a good 20 mins or so til I finally fell asleep (for a few hours, argh).
#2 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM

I had a panic attack once. It was really scary. I couldn't breathe and my heart was RACING!!! I thought I was having a heart attack. It was really scary. That is the only way I can describe it. Dh has had a few too. I hope your find some relief for your anxiety.
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 PM

That sounds like anxiety and horomonal shifts can cause them, so it is not too uncommon for women (8 out of 10 women in the US have them at some point in their lives).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's a lot. So I guess it's not really something to get too concerned about unless it persists...
#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 03:03 PM

I suffered from panic attacks for about 10 years before I got good treatment. Not to mention I'm a social worker in a hospital and work with people who have panic disorder all the time. Panic attacks are #1 reason for emergency room visits in this country. They are usually disguised as "chest pain" or "shortness of breath".

What you are describing sounds like it could have been one. However, I have talked to many people who have only had one or two in their entire life. I do think hormones can bring them on. I don't have them anymore but I did have two during this pregnancy which I found interesting. When I had them regularly I almost always had one if my period was coming or if I was getting sick.

If they do become a regular thing for you I wanted you to know they are curable for 95% of people with the right treatments.

I'm sure it was a one time thing but if not get help asap!
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Hey, I had a mini one last night as well. I was lying in bed having Bhs and they were getting a little uncomfortable. I'm 37+ weeks BTW, so it's still alittle early but I gave birth w/ DD after a night of uncomfortable Bhs.

Last night I got adrenaline rushes and almost had a panic attack. I used to have them in college... your heart beats fast and it seems hard to breathe so you have to get some fresh air and it still doesn't help and you panic and feel like you're gonna have to call someone to help and then it finally goes away.

It finally passed after many prayers and deep breaths and I was able to finally sleep.

It's been a long time since I have had one-years really. Maybe hormones

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page