ice massage on acupuncture points - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this was posted on a local doula list i follow. interesting...

Pregnant women in early labor who use ice massage at specific acupuncture points on the hand may experience less pain, according to a new study in the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health (2003;48:317 21). This study suggests ice massage is a safe, non-invasive method of decreasing a woman's labor pain.

In the new study, 49 pregnant women between the ages of 16 and 38 years in early labor received ice massage on a specific acupuncture point on the hand (called Large Intestine 4 or LI-4 in Traditional Chinese Medicine) at the beginning of a contraction, continuing until the contraction stopped...

Intensity of labor pain and memory of pain were both significantly reduced by ice massage. Pain-intensity scores were lowered by 19% after ice massage in the right hand and by almost 50% in the left hand. It is unknown why there was such a difference between each hand. Memory of pain intensity following delivery was reduced from "distressing" to "discomforting."

LI-4 is located in the webbing between the thumb and index finger on the back of the hand. Traditional Chinese medical texts describe the stimulation of LI-4 to reduce labor pain and to strengthen contractions...

stephanie asl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Cool... thanks for posting. I just forwarded to my doula.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM

I had seen this a while back and made sure to save it in my files! I have it printed out in my birth requests for my labor partners to try on me. We shall see!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List