Questions about afterwards... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What, if anything, do you plan to do for afterpains? I took ibuprofen after my son was born, but I wonder if I will need to this time around since I most likely wont have pitocin for the delivery of the placenta.

Those of you who've already had your babies...Are you experiencing pain, and if so, what are you doing to deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM

I would plan on something! I didn't... I didn't even know about afterpains! I didn't have them with my first and then BANG this time they almost killed me! I asked my midwife about it and she said that they get worse with each child that you have because apparently your uterus gets stronger at contracting back down to its regular size after birth.

I've heard of something called AfterEase.. you could look into that. I just took ibuprophen and tylenol and snuggled up with a hot water bottle. The heat really helped a lot, I thought.
#3 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Massaging the lower uterine segment supposedly helps a lot...that's what I've seen my midwife do.

I have kind of harped on this topic because I've seen women miserable with afterpains, but I've sorta dropped the ball in gathering my herbs. I think I'll buy some "Afterease" herbal tincture.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#4 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 PM

I had a hospital birth, so went with the Motrin/ibuprofen. They are pretty much gone now, only super mild once a day. And wow, I was totally not prepared for how painful they were! No one told me they would be worse with a second - mine were very mild with DD.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#5 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM

I just got home from my hospital birth of baby # 4. I didn't take anything. I didn't really need anything. They tried to make me use the numbing spray for my vagina, but I didn't need it either. Unfortunately they had already opened it and charged me. :

The cramping during breastfeeding may require ibuprofin for some people. But it goes away rather quickly.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#6 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 PM

I didn't have much as far as pain afterward with my dd (#2). With my ds (#1) I had a not-so-great birth experience and had a lot of pain for quite a while afterward and I believe I took Tylenol (?).

With my dd the cramps during breastfeeding were bad, but I never ended up taking anything for those since I guess I would have needed to be on some sort of pain killer all day long to cover every time I nursed.
#7 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Its does get worse with each birth. :

Second I had them but then came along #3 and WOW OUCH!!!!

Know of a gal who has had over 10 and towards the ends of the kids she took to biting a rag.

My new mw recommends Motrin. I am not so sure I am happy with that. But i gotta do something. I am running out of time to go to the health food store.

Quote:
They tried to make me use the numbing spray for my vagina,
: Never heard of such stuff!
#8 of 29 Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
w/ dd all I felt was a cool sensation of my uterus shrinking. Not painful in the least.

Or maybe it was the morphine followed by oxycodone. . . (c/s) will have to ask MW about this tomorrow.
#9 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM

I have been taking a lot of arnica and umm..suffering. I did take 2 tylenol right after she was born.
#10 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 AM

i did not take anything but wow! those afterpains were soo much worse now!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#11 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 02:23 AM

I live on ibuprofen (motrin/advil/store brand) 600-800 every 5 hours for a few days, then don't seem to need much of anything. It's beneficial not only for the pain relief, but also because it's a prostaglandin inhibitor, so it helps your cervix to 'spring back' as it were.
#12 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

I am so glad I asked, otherwise I probably would have kicked myself for assuming their wouldn't be any afterpains if I never received any pitocin.

Here's another question for all you helpful Mamas...

If I'm trying to avoid post partum depression by having an unmedicated birth, would it be wise to skip the ibuprofen, too?
#13 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM

The stories have me a little scared! lol I've never had afterpains but I'm not assuming anything about this birth. I've always drank a lot of rrlt after birth. I may take some wild yam if necessary since that's what I already have on hand. And I'll surely take some ibuprofen if needed.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#14 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM

I agree they get much worse w/ each child. I didn't take anything at first, but then as she nursed more I was cringing in pain and quickly called for some motrin. I think I took it every 4 hours or so until last friday I think. I don't feel anything now.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#15 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I just delivered baby #6 and my afterpains are NOT that bad at all! They were HORRIBLE after #5 but not this time around! I am happy about that but I do have Tylenol on hand and have taken it only a couple times.

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#16 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 PM

I too didn't have bad after pains this time. (this is #4) I had no pains with our first, and then quite strong pains with our second and third (both unmedicated births) and this time around my pains were very tolerable and only lasted 2 days.
#17 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Its does get worse with each birth. :

my thoughts exactly! Now I'm nervous. I'll probably take Motrin and use a heating pad.
#18 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Gina View Post
I live on ibuprofen (motrin/advil/store brand) 600-800 every 5 hours for a few days, then don't seem to need much of anything. It's beneficial not only for the pain relief, but also because it's a prostaglandin inhibitor, so it helps your cervix to 'spring back' as it were.
very interesting!
#19 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Yep, my MW offers motrin for after the birth. She said the pains are stronger after subsequent births. I'm also planning to bring my arnica!
#20 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 PM

After all the pain of childbirth I wasn't suffering though afterpains too last time so I took Ibuprofen. This time I'll probably just take Tylenol because I'm weary of ibuprofen for some reason. But I'm NOT going to endure that on top of everything else! I can't stand menstrual pains. It's my one weak point. I'll suffer a headache for days but menstrual-type cramping is my achiles heel.

ILANA
#21 of 29 Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
I am so glad I asked, otherwise I probably would have kicked myself for assuming their wouldn't be any afterpains if I never received any pitocin.

Here's another question for all you helpful Mamas...

If I'm trying to avoid post partum depression by having an unmedicated birth, would it be wise to skip the ibuprofen, too?
The difference between unmedicated birth and unmedicated after-birth is that the options for pain relief in birth in the US are limited to either narcotics, or total numbness from the ribs down. Ibuprofen doesn't do anything nearly as drastic as that. In terms of biofeedback, also, the sensations in labor are critical to keep the hormonal loop moving very smoothly for most women, whereas the pain after childbirth serves no known purpose, other than that it shows the body is resetting itself. Most women find that the pain of a swollen bum distracts them from enjoying their child as much, and depending how strong it is, can also interfere with breastfeeding. So, of course, it's your choice and if you feel that experiencing the pain after the birth is important for you, and will empower you OR if you don't like the idea of putting chemicals in your body, then you shouldn't take anything. If you feel that the pain might be something you'll need help with, you should know that ibuprofen can help with it. Depending on your care provider, you may also be offered narcotic pain relief in pill form, which has many drawbacks including the tendency to become habit-forming, but again, if you find that this is the best way for you to get through, then do that. There's a difference between the sensations experienced in childbirth, moving toward the purpose of bringing your baby out swiftly and safely, and the healing involved after.

I wouldn't even consider the afterpains to be the best reason for me to use pain relief medicine, but rather the swelling and soreness of the muscles, the perineum, and my vagina. I find the afterpains quite manageable, albeit distracting at times.
#22 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doula Gina. That's what I needed to know!
#23 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Yeah, good post DoulaGina. My back and leg muscles were also sore after delievery, and I had stitches, so I took the Motrin to help relieve all that, too. But still - those uterus tightening contractions hurt much worse than early labor!

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#24 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 PM

I was planning on using Arnica to help with afterpains, but it sounds like I should have some ibuprofen on hand, too... just in case.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#25 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 03:18 PM

I had them soooo sooo bad this time.
I took 800mg ibuprophen every 4 hours and
also 650 - 975mg of Tylenol every other 4 hours

That managed the pain. It was really really bad this time. worse then the contractions I had.
#26 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 PM

I got the after-ease herbal tincture. But I've also got some motrin in the medicine cabinet, so I guess I'll fall back on that if I need to.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#27 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM

I did a combo of tylenol and motrin. The after pains were kickin but even more was the hemorrhoid pain. I have never been so thankful for icepacks.
#28 of 29 Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Ordered my AfterEase tincture today!!!

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#29 of 29 Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 PM

I have to say that the afterpains I am experiencing while I nurse are right up there with the contractions I was having when I entered the neighborhood of 4-5cm dilation while I was in labor. Holy cow I was not expecting them to be that bad. Motrin is helping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page