I went out dancing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, today is my due date, and I spent last night and the early hours of this morning dancing to a ska band with my friends...err, this is not normal behaviour for a 40 week pregnant lady, is it? I had a lot of fun (as it will hopefully be my last night out sans baby for a long time), had huge amounts of energy and was leaping over benches to get out from the table, but now I feel a little bit bad. I did lots of jumping up and down and skanking, and whilst the silly bit of my brain says maybe that will help get baby out, now the sensible bit feels rather guilty for being out and around loud music and getting all giddy when surely I should have my feet up...
Did I do wrong? There aren't any 'rules' about not dancing etc this close to birth, are there (ok, that sounds really silly, but I feel paranoid now). Baby is super active today and I feel great despite getting in at 1.30am, I seem to be having a major energy surge. Hmm, wonder if that means I'm getting close now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 08:32 AM

I spent an hour yesterday "dancing" with a screaming baby in my arms, doing deep legs bends and working up a sweat, so maybe the same thing? I'm almost 38 weeks and my contrax started this morning at 2am. If your body is telling you you can handle it then you can handle it! I'm impressed. Hopefully this will bring on your labour. Last time a vigorous 2hr walk brought on my labour and I felt GREAT while doing it. So long as you're comfy, why wouldn't you dance?? Maybe you can dance that baby out!

ILANA
Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Dancing is good for baby if anything. It sounds like you had a great time, that can't be bad for either of you. I spent an hour last night dancing with my two year old in arm to get her to sleep because she was upset about something.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM

I did crazy amounts of walking on Wednesday and saw my MW the next morning. She encouraged me to stay hydrated and rest in between periods of activity when I can. Just because you don't want to start labor when already exhausted. But physical activity is good. So good for us!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM

i think it sounds like loads of fun! i haven't been dancing in years!!!

stephanie asl.gif

Old 05-12-2007, 01:53 PM

That's great! I think as long as you weren't in a pit (where it could have been dangerous due to flying elbows and such) it's great! Your baby probably thought the music was awesome, and the endorphins you produced will probably make your labor easier on you. If you had so much fun doing it, go ahead and do it again tonight in your living room. I'm glad you have positive energy flowing.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM

If the dancing feels good, go for it. My favorite way of keeping active right now is to pop in the prenatal salsa dancing DVD that my brother got me. Lots of hip wiggling fun.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 PM

I wish I could do that!! I tried dancing the other day and it gave me such a side ache. It's hard with this big huge belly. I'm jealous you were able to dance with no pain!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

User Tag List