Now is not a good time to start having problems with my doctors ... Updated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not had anything but good, respectful, supportive experiences with my group of doctors ... until today. I agreed to an internal exam to check dilation, and since I always find such exams uncomfortable I didn't think anything of the feeling of it -- until the doctor cheerfully chimed in with the information that she'd just swept my membranes "to see if we can't get things started."

So the question is, does anyone know how likely that is to kick-start labor if the baby isn't really ready? This morning I'd have been thrilled to start labor any day, but right now I feel more like if it starts I'm just going to be a mass of worries that it isn't really right yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 05:49 PM

I know that sometimes women who are really trying to get labor started still end up having their membranes stripped two or three times over the course of a week or two before anything happens - so I would think that if your body/baby really aren't ready that nothing will happen.

Man, it baffles me how often this happens though! I've heard so many stories just like yours...

Anyway, hope all goes wonderfully for you and your labor!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Man that sucks. I feel violated for you. But truely it probably won't start labor unless the baby is ready. I would suggest writing a letter (maybe after your baby is born) saying that it's inappropriate to sweep membranes without consent.

One other thing I suggest is to do a little optimal fetal positoning-especially if you feel labor coming on.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

I had my membranes swept (with consent) when DS1 was a week overdue. My mucous plug came out the next day but it didn't put me into labor. You probably don't have anything to worry about, but it's horrible they did it without asking. I would definitely write a letter!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM

the first time i had mine stripped it didn't do anything. you'll be fine if your body isn't ready
Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 PM

I would do more than write a letter. What about infection? Totally inexcusable.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Nice of them NOT to tell you...talk about inconsiderate, or maybe just ignorant... That sucks! I hope things go well for you anyway.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM

My OB swept my membranes last pregnancy and nothing happened for at least a week, so I don't think it did naything. That's so lame they failed to mention it until afterwards. Hope labor starts if that's what you want, or holds off if that's what you want...

Personally I wish my labor would start, but I have till Monday before I can start thinking stripping and such...
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Man that sucks. I feel violated for you. But truely it probably won't start labor unless the baby is ready. I would suggest writing a letter (maybe after your baby is born) saying that it's inappropriate to sweep membranes without consent.

One other thing I suggest is to do a little optimal fetal positoning-especially if you feel labor coming on.
: I have the same feelings about what was done to you. Not that I know anything, but it's replies like this that have kept me going in a peaceful confident zone my whole pregnancy. I think this is great advise! The only opinion that I have that differs from this one is that I would NOT wait until after the baby is born to write a letter. I'd send a letter to everyone I could and I'd probably start looking for another provider or go it alone. I'd tell them that that type of behavior is exactly why I'm doing it too! But that's just me and my incredibly hot miserable crabby mood right now. (I've made tons of firey posts tonight and really hope people understand.) I usually hang out on the UC board but this due date club seems to have more info that interests me right now/things going on. So, again, I'm sorry if I'm butting in on threads too much tonight. Everything everyone has to say has got me totally fired up with a great positive comfort level pertaining to my birthing decision and at the same time, I feel so much dismay and confusion and sadness for how many problems I hear about others having.

Everyone supporting eachother on MDC rocks!

mom to boy 14, boy 5, angel.gif  11 week loss, 2ndtri.gif  Expecting a surprise in December! lactivist.gifintactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifrocks.jpguc.jpg

Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04 View Post
Not to mention the risk of accidentally breaking the membrane altogether.

But you don't need to worry about that now. Just try to relax, do whatever you would normally do, I know it's easier said than done, but there is no benefit in worrying.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Wow-- I would be SOOOOO peeved over that! But like others have said, it probably won't start things if your body isn't ready. My mebranes separated on their own well over a week before the birth and still nothing...

As the letter writing queen, I have to support the earlier suggestion that you write a letter after all is said and done. Totally inappropriate for them to do that without consent. ARGH!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Wow -- this really scares me, because "not much is going on down there" according to my OBs and I'm like 38 weeks. So I guess at my next appt, before the VE, I'll ask what the plan is if things haven't really progressed and let them know that I do NOT want any intervention(s)...
Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM

I'm so sorry that they did that without your consent too.

But I don't think that it works if baby is not truly ready. Don't stress, momma!

And yeah - you need to say something to someone about the inappropriateness of that.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04 View Post
I agree.
I do NOT trust my OB that much to let him anywhere near my cervix past doing IUI's to get me pregnant.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM

Since this was her last post. . .I think the membrane sweep got something started.
I hope all is well!

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think the previous poster is on to something.

I was really appreciating all the responses to this post but was feeling pretty crampy from the exam so I thought I'd come back in the morning and respond ... except somewhere around four in the morning I woke to realize that the crampiness was no longer persistent but distinctly five minutes apart. Sooo ...

Ziad Rashad, born May 16 through an incredibly mellow birth, in part thanks to not worrying quite so much that if the sweep was responsible it might mean problems to the babe. I know info here is generally just anecdotal, but anecdotal evidence was probably enough to keep me from stressing out needlessly and doing damage to the experience. A big "thanks!"
Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
congratulations

Heidi
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Congrats!!!

Mom of 3.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 PM

What great news! So happy for you!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Congratulations!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 05-20-2007, 01:43 AM

YAY!!! Glad it went well.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 05-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Congratulations!

User Tag List