baby carriers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
slings ---mei tai--- what have you

I have a ring sling that I love but im looking for something diffrent.
I need something that my 6 foot tall husband and myself (5'1ish) can both wear. I think a mei tai but is there something Im missing? anything anyone would recoment. my MIL (love that woman) is going to get us one

are all mei tai carriers reversible?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kangaroo carrier. its super simple, like a sash, no muss no fuss.

i got a khaki one and a black one so DH feels comfortable wearing it too!

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#3 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM

I love my Babyhawk mei tai. I got the XT (extra tall) version and Emeth just snuggles down in it and it totally supports his head.

that said, my dd hated the mei tai when she was a newbie and loved the wrap. But I think the mei tai is more daddy-friendly. dd eventually did like it at around 3 months.
#4 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:46 PM

#5 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM

i have a maya wrap, too, but never perfected it with a newborn so....i ordered a pouch from a WAHM, made a moby style wrap (out of gauze, not the stretchy material so i hope it works ok) & just ordered a mei tai yesterday! (gift from good ol' mom!). i'm sooooo excited about the mei tai!! i was with a woman yesterday who carried her 7 week old in the back carry & he looked so cozy. she made it look so easy that i just had to have one!

not sure if that answer helped at all!? i fretted over this for so long, too. i carried my first daughter in-arms for about 6 months straight & was i ever exhausted (but did i have some guns!). my second was so easy going that i laid her on the floor a lot or just carried her, as well, but this time i really need options. i think i'm finally set to have this baby!

have you checked out the MDC forum about carriers? it's a bit confusing, though, because there are soooo many different carriers & sooooo many opinions. i opted for one of each style....possibly too excessive but i will have 3 new carriers for less than $50 out of my own pocket.

stephanie asl.gif

#6 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
kangaroo carrier. its super simple, like a sash, no muss no fuss.

i got a khaki one and a black one so DH feels comfortable wearing it too!
http://www.kangaroocarrier.net/echarpe-porte-bebe.php#

is this what your talking about? how easy is ti to use. i get confused easily.
the mei tai looks simple. I think

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#7 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i have a maya wrap, too, but never perfected it with a newborn so....i ordered a pouch from a WAHM, made a moby style wrap (out of gauze, not the stretchy material so i hope it works ok) & just ordered a mei tai yesterday! (gift from good ol' mom!). i'm sooooo excited about the mei tai!! i was with a woman yesterday who carried her 7 week old in the back carry & he looked so cozy. she made it look so easy that i just had to have one!

not sure if that answer helped at all!? i fretted over this for so long, too. i carried my first daughter in-arms for about 6 months straight & was i ever exhausted (but did i have some guns!). my second was so easy going that i laid her on the floor a lot or just carried her, as well, but this time i really need options. i think i'm finally set to have this baby!

have you checked out the MDC forum about carriers? it's a bit confusing, though, because there are soooo many different carriers & sooooo many opinions. i opted for one of each style....possibly too excessive but i will have 3 new carriers for less than $50 out of my own pocket.
i havent checked out the carrier forum. Im going to have to though it seems. there are so many options. my biggest issue is that I cant do complicated. I have a great ring sling.

ohhhhhhh squishy baby love : I do like the mei tai since it loks easy. is it? how much do they run at babyhawk? I have one site that quoted at 55? I think

#8 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM

I'm super excited to try out my moby wrap with this babe. I've never used a wrap before but all my mama friends irl swear by it. I've got a maya wrap ring sling that I don't care for too much. And two mama's milk pouch slings that are brand new. And of course there's my ergo, which is my favorite thing in the world, but I won't put the new babe in it as an infant.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#9 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 05:55 PM

I have a Maya Wrap and like it, but agree that it's not optimal for a newborn. At least, my newborns have not really cared for it. It's better once you can carry them sitting up in the hip carry, IMHO.

I also have an Ella Roo wrap that I LOVE! Very good for newborns, you can just tuck them right in there and it's very snug and secure. There's a little more learning curve with a wrap, but once you figure it out, it's not difficult at all.

I also have a Mei Tai style carrier this time around. (It's actually a Frankenkozy that I made myself.) I am looking forward to trying it out.
#10 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM

i have a babyhawk mei tai and i already love it! it is great for ivy and is so user friendly. i definitely recommend it.
#11 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
ohhhhhhh squishy baby love : I do like the mei tai since it loks easy. is it? how much do they run at babyhawk? I have one site that quoted at 55? I think
I think it's easy... I find it easier than a ring sling and more comfortable than my pouch. Plus, it's super easy to nurse in. I think that 55 is cheap for a Babyhawk. I got both of mine used -- on one the TP and the other on thebabywearer.com for sale board. I think they were both around 65, but that was a while ago, so maybe they're cheaper now. I think they run around 70-80 new.

I have one with the minkee lining for colder weather and one without and love them both. :
#12 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Kozy mei tais have an excellent reputation for newborns! I didn't use one for dd1 (I had a bjorn in her early days and didn't know yet about mts), but my Kozy was my most comfy of all the mei tais I tried with her (both front and back carries; although you'll probably just be doing front carries with a nb!). I have a Kozy ready for my baby. Good luck finding a carrier you love. I'm a Kozy fan, but I think that most mts would work great!
#13 of 35 Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 AM

so what's the difference with all the mei tai's? (babyhawk, kozy, ellaroo?). i ordered mine from this website... www.meitaibaby.com/index.html ...and it doesn't have a name, just a mei tai.

stephanie asl.gif

#14 of 35 Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 AM

nak
we are using the Moby with Sarah right now: pic here.
i am planning on using my mei-tai (Kozy) when she is 3 month-ish or so.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#15 of 35 Old 05-17-2007, 01:05 PM

I have always been a big pouch lover, I have a mnm pea in a pod pouch, as well as a peanut shell and a hotsling.
I bought a didymos wrap this time

I put the baby in the pouch when I went to my sons dare graduation, and for three days after I had horrificly painful back spasms. I've never had that happen before but I figure it must be because I have no stomach muscles right now? I'm afraid to try my pouch again
#16 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
http://www.kangaroocarrier.net/echarpe-porte-bebe.php#

is this what your talking about? how easy is ti to use. i get confused easily.
the mei tai looks simple. I think
I have this Kangaroo Carrier baby sling, and my baby loved it from its earliest age... the fabric is thick which makes me confident, and it is very soft... that's for baby!

How to wear a wrap? I could learn tying alone, well with the kangaroo cartoon... but if you can meet another babywearer, it might help
#17 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 02:50 PM

my batik taylor-made ring sling is my current fave, but then, i haven't tried that many :eyeballing those babyhawks:

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#18 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Well, I tried out the Frankenkozy (mei tai style) and it seems just a little too big for Gus at this point. He seems to get lost in all the fabric. I've been using my Ella Roo wrap, and it snuggles him up very nicely. Once he's out of the newborn "frog legs" stage I'll give the Frankenkozy another shot.
#19 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 PM

We have an Ergo w/ an infant insert which works great for dh, a moby, a homemade pouch and wrap, and a sidecar pouch. I think dd likes the moby the best right now, but it's so hot here in GA I wouldn't keep in it outdoors. I LOVE how stylie the sidecar is, but she is already growing out of it.

I think the Moby is a great wrap for the price, and will be great over time. I feel the same about the Ergo. We'll be using it for years, and it feels the best on my back.

Grace Comes.

#20 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 PM

I have a moby wrap that I LOVE LOVE to wear Elise in when we are out and about. I also have an Over the shoulder baby holder sling, I used one w/ DD #2 up until I got pg this time and LOVED it but this time it seems to hurt my back and I just can't get comfy w/ it for either of us?! I just use the wrap all the time now. She loves it too. Here is a site for how to use it, I know someone asked for it but didn't do the quote thing...LOL http://www.mobywrap.com/instructions.php?link=0
#21 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM

I've been trying to figure the mei tai thing for weeks now and have settled on a Mei Tai Baby (www.meitaibaby.com). Try their test drive board, it's way cool. I liked the adjustable bottom feature for little babies. But the BH's are way cool as well.
I am trying a rs, but it's not working that well...

BH's begin at 85$, and MTB's at 69, if I recall. Robyn at BH is doing a raffle with great prizes to earn money for blankets for an orphanage in Africa that she's heading to the end of June. I think it ends tomorrow.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#22 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

how long is the moby wrap. im guessing pretty long to wrap it like that? what are the dimensions?

#23 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM

I have a moby and LOVE it. So does my 4 week old. It is madeof 5 yards of fabric. So pretty much any size person can wear it. It is tricky to use at first. I had to actually se someone put it on about 3 times before I was comforatble doing it. I haven't had a problem wit hit at all. Mine only cost about $30. They come in all find of colors. Stongly recommend them.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#24 of 35 Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 PM

Yeah, about 18 feet of fabric for the Moby! I didn't have too hard a time putting it on after reading the instructions a couple times. I also have a homemade pouch that is OK for quick trips and the house, but still have difficulty trying to figure out how to position DS.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#25 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

im attempting to make my own moby.i assume the fabric is kind of stretchy? is it like knit stretchy or spandex stretchy?

#26 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I've been trying to figure the mei tai thing for weeks now and have settled on a Mei Tai Baby (www.meitaibaby.com). Try their test drive board, it's way cool. I liked the adjustable bottom feature for little babies. But the BH's are way cool as well.
I am trying a rs, but it's not working that well...

BH's begin at 85$, and MTB's at 69, if I recall. Robyn at BH is doing a raffle with great prizes to earn money for blankets for an orphanage in Africa that she's heading to the end of June. I think it ends tomorrow.

i just got my MT from elizabeth (mei tai baby) yesterday & it's beautiful! i adore it!!! i got the adjustable feature & my 2 week old fits in it perfectly.

stephanie asl.gif

#27 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
im attempting to make my own moby.i assume the fabric is kind of stretchy? is it like knit stretchy or spandex stretchy?
i made a moby out of gauze....not stretchy....and it worked great (until dd1 cut it in half!?). it was only 99 cents a yard so it cost me $5! i opted for the gauze fabric because a major complaint of this wrap is that it's too HOT but the gauze wasn't at all. as soon as i get motivated again i plan on making another.

stephanie asl.gif

#28 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The stretchy ones are made out of tshirt like material.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#29 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i just got my MT from elizabeth (mei tai baby) yesterday & it's beautiful! i adore it!!! i got the adjustable feature & my 2 week old fits in it perfectly.
How does she like it? My nb is 10 days old and I am really anxious to get mine! What colors did you get? Did you get the zippy?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#30 of 35 Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
How does she like it? My nb is 10 days old and I am really anxious to get mine! What colors did you get? Did you get the zippy?

i got the "embroidered botanical" fabric ....http://meitaibaby.com/fabrics/botanical_lg.jpg...with khaki straps. i didn't get the zippy but i did get it adjustable because i wanted to start using it right away! my little guy is still getting used to it. he only tolerated it for about 10 minutes yesterday but i'm confident he'll warm up to it. i can't wait to be able to carry him on my back! i met a woman a few weeks back carrying her 7 week old on her back in a MT. how comfy is that?

what fabric did you get?

stephanie asl.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page