doc wants to induce for no reason except "due date"! help!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This Dr is putting you in such an awful position.You are fine, you don't even have to do the induction on Mon either especially not with the Cervadil.Your body is working very well.You are fantastic!Keep listening to your baby and your body.
I avoided my last two appts because I wasn't going to agree to an internal,didn't like the MW I was scheduled to see(I had to ask her about all the tests results they had me do and ask her to feel the baby's postition and she just dabbed at my belly!) and didn't want to discuss induction or even bother with NSTs until after I was overdue.According to a late U/S I was due around the 15.I was upset with my body since by then I had already had my babys and I was miserable and could not even feel my own cervix and baby was posterior and high enough to jab his toes in my rib cage.One of the MW called me on Fri and told me to come in to L&D to be evaluated.I thought about it but knew that it would be hours away from my family and then they would find a reason to keep me there and there was a chance of Oops! we borke your water so now you have to stay with a Pitocin drip.I kept away from the hospital.I did try pineapple,sex,cumin tea(nasty,nasty),RRR leaf tea extra strength with some cinamon(it worked with my first),was alreadt tandem feeding so plenty of nipple stim,walking,ect. and still baby didn't come until he was ready on the 19th.
He was also my smallest but my biggest belly so don't let anyone worry you with the big baby card.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#32 of 60 Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 PM

you have all the advice and words of wisdom you need. Now it is up to you to make the choice.
No induction method is completely safe.

I wish you much strength......
Good Luck
#33 of 60 Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM

LABOR VIBES to you momma!

Good Job talking with your OB! I know that must have been hard!

I decided to take castor oil the day before my NST and U/S was scheduled, just in case they wanted to induce me with the chemical crap and it worked perfectly! You can try it and know that it will not work if babe isn't ready to come out, but it will jump start labor if he is ready.

Try to relax this weekend and enjoy your holiday!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#34 of 60 Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
i am beginning to think i have a problem. trying to stay positive. i am 10 days over due today.
I can't believe your doc on this. The average first time mom goes to 41.5 weeks. That would put you at average first time gestation on the day you typed this. That's not "overdue" at all. I can't believe all the stress your doctor is causing you!!

Do you have good labor support? I'm worried about the weakened trust between you and your OB.
#35 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
finally we agreed on monday night with cervadil (NO CYTOTEC) and then tuesday for the real induction (pitocin?!).
: :
I thought they couldn't induce over mem. day weekend? Sounds like exactly what they're doing. THey lied to you, or at least 'stretched' the truth.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#36 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
she looked so pale and talked about the stillbirths she has seen.

my NST and ultrasound showed the perfect healthy baby, though.
Hard for me to believe she has seen so many stillbirths before 42 weeks.

fwiw, when i was scheduled to induce, I went into labor naturally the night before, didn't even do anything special. It can happen!

(wouldn't schedule it again though if it were an option, which it isn't, as I ended up having a c/s. I'm at 41 + 4 now but mw is very relaxed about it.)
#37 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 AM

If I were you, I would not show up for that induction. If you're still pregnant come Monday, turn the phone off, relax and do not show up for that induction. Wait until labor begins on its own and then go to the hospital. No matter what, under the EMTALA laws, your doctor cannot refuse to help you give birth.
This is your birth, your body, your baby, honey you need to take control and don't let anyone, not a doctor or nurse or your mother or best friend or anyone, tell you that you have to do what they say. Be strong!
#38 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
If I were you, I would not show up for that induction. If you're still pregnant come Monday, turn the phone off, relax and do not show up for that induction. Wait until labor begins on its own and then go to the hospital. No matter what, under the EMTALA laws, your doctor cannot refuse to help you give birth.
This is your birth, your body, your baby, honey you need to take control and don't let anyone, not a doctor or nurse or your mother or best friend or anyone, tell you that you have to do what they say. Be strong!
This is great advice. I would especially stress the "turn off your phone" part. Between the in-laws and the well meaning friends and the doctor, a person could have a breakdown from all the pressure!
#39 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Been thinking of you, Deb - sending labor vibes ...

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#40 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

you guys are the best!!

the doc actually apologized to me and told me she understood my issues with the whole "memorial day" bull*$&^# runaround....((its difficult because she really has been a good doc up until now. which makes it so much harder to stand up to her, KWIM!?))

the nst was PERFECT. in the elevator up to the appt. a random lady asked me how far along i was, and i told her "due last week." she said "REALLY? BUT YOU ARE SMALL, HONEY!"

ah ha! interesting, huh. ((keep in mind i am not a small person by any means, but my belly is not crazy out of proportion...i don't look "overdue" or even "uncomfortable" which only adds to my personal view that i am JUST FINE DAMNIT!))

i like the idea of telling them on monday "oh i am in labor, i dont need to come in!" and then the next day, if i am not, just say "wow, it just stopped. sorry about that!" to buy myself some time.

i did some intense acupuncture yesterday, and was advised by the acupuncture doc to use my electric breast pump, that it brought on her first labor in about an hour -- so i am scared but i am gonna give it a try. i also have been losing my plug, having contractions, etc etc. so.

we shall see.

thank you again, lovely smart ladies of mdc.

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#41 of 60 Old 05-25-2007, 06:50 PM

my due date with ds1 was may 15th and he was born may 26 maybe tomorrow is your big day!

my doc was talking induction on may 27 so i was soooooo happy to go into labor on my own. you're so close to the end every day has a higher and higher chance labor will start

i might try the breast pump method myself
#42 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
you guys are the best!!

the doc actually apologized to me and told me she understood my issues with the whole "memorial day" bull*$&^# runaround....((its difficult because she really has been a good doc up until now. which makes it so much harder to stand up to her, KWIM!?))

the nst was PERFECT. in the elevator up to the appt. a random lady asked me how far along i was, and i told her "due last week." she said "REALLY? BUT YOU ARE SMALL, HONEY!"

ah ha! interesting, huh. ((keep in mind i am not a small person by any means, but my belly is not crazy out of proportion...i don't look "overdue" or even "uncomfortable" which only adds to my personal view that i am JUST FINE DAMNIT!))

i like the idea of telling them on monday "oh i am in labor, i dont need to come in!" and then the next day, if i am not, just say "wow, it just stopped. sorry about that!" to buy myself some time.

i did some intense acupuncture yesterday, and was advised by the acupuncture doc to use my electric breast pump, that it brought on her first labor in about an hour -- so i am scared but i am gonna give it a try. i also have been losing my plug, having contractions, etc etc. so.

we shall see.

thank you again, lovely smart ladies of mdc.

deb
In the same boat with you, except my OB isn't pushing anything. And nothing I'm doing at home is working. Baby isn't the least bit engaged, and is perfectly happy where she is. We're pretty sure now that the due date is completely WRONG and an estimate is just that. Did you chart? Look back and see if you can find yourself any leeway. That's how I've bought time with my OB. And at this point, even if she wanted to schedule an induction, I wouldn't show up.
#43 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

hey danelle and all

unfortunately i had an IUI, charted, and took and OPK to pinpoint the exact MOMENT (practically) of ovulation.

so it is indeed the correct date, darn it!!!!!

i am leaning heavily toward doing the induction monday night. monday night will only be the cervadil and hopefully thats the "nudge" my body needs..........she wasnt going to start pitocin or break water til tuesday.

my fear is that though my ultrasound was perfect, at each visit, i noticed i lost a few pounds (total) over last week. and something i just read said this can be a bad sign (declining placenta/fluid?!) then again it could be from my super diareeah the past week. yay!

anyway -- my mother and my MIL say tonights the night. so i am holding them accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#44 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Hmm. I lost 4 pounds the week before I delivered the baby and nobody at my OB's office said word one about it. (Well, except to say, "Huh, you lost four pounds!")

But... I hope that it happens for you before your induction date! Maybe tonight could be the night -- moms and MILs sometimes have a sixth sense about these things. Mine accurately called my delivery date three whole weeks in advance.
#45 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

jan

thanks for that

yeah my doc didnt mention the weight loss either but at this point i dont excactly trust her :

#46 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM

All three of my pregnancies, I was weighed and lost 3-5 lbs in the days before delivering. I think weight loss is probably a good sign that your body is moving towards labor.
#47 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

jeri, that is fascinating!!!!! and good news!!!!!

i wonder what the reason would be for that!?

off to google it

#48 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
jeri, that is fascinating!!!!! and good news!!!!!

i wonder what the reason would be for that!?

off to google it
I've read that its normal and very common to lose a couple pounds in the last weeks of pregnancy I did I lost 3 pounds at my last visit before my son was born
#49 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 06:37 PM

I've been following your story since you posted, and first, I just want to say *hugs* to you - what you're doing is hard enough without jerk doctors and people generally just misunderstanding how the whole thing works. I really hope you're going into labor on your own - it sounds like it's beginning - and I have the highest hopes for you to have a healthy, natural birth.

That said - if that is indeed what you want - don't be scared. Your body knows what to do. It really does!! I wanted to tell you that when I was induced with DS, they told me "we'll just try a little of this and hopefully that will work", stuff like that: "this should put you over the edge" ... well, when I showed up at the hospital after PROM 24+hours, all that Cervidil talk went right out the window. It was straight to the Pit for me. And when I asked them if they would please just start small with the Pit dose and see if that kicked off labor, they said they would, and then totally ignored my wishes and came in to crank up the dose every 30 minutes just like they would have anyway.

I could go on and on, babe. I'm not going to. I didn't have a c-section, thankfully, but without DP there I'm not sure I could say that. Regardless, I just want you to know that they don't always do what they say they're going to do, and as long as you think you're ok and you think the baby's ok; as long as your BPPs are looking good, hold out. Don't go to the hospital until you're in full-blown, 3-4mins apart labor. They want to intervene, and going to the hospital before labor has started is a surefire way to get all the interventions in the world thrown at you. Stay CALM, RELAX - at home - and I have to echo what 100 other posters have said: You are not beholden to their demands. The doctors work for YOU, not the other way around. They cannot refuse to help you have your baby, and they cannot order you to do it their way.

Huge and best of luck to you. I hope to be reading good news here very soon!!
#50 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 PM

In the Mothering book on pregnancy that I have it says that weight loss is a sign of early or pre labor....good news! Maybe your mom is right!

Hang in there and hugs!
#51 of 60 Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmama View Post
weight loss is a sign of early or pre labor....good news! Maybe your mom is right!
My MW said this too. She thought it a good sign that I didn't gain any weight in the last week. And I have lots of fluid.
#52 of 60 Old 05-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Sending you labour vibes! Good luck!!!!!
#53 of 60 Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
hey danelle and all

u
my fear is that though my ultrasound was perfect, at each visit, i noticed i lost a few pounds (total) over last week. and something i just read said this can be a bad sign (declining placenta/fluid?!) then again it could be from my super diareeah the past week. yay!

Didn't your OB check your fluids during the ultrasound? That would be routine if you're overdue. You might ask him/ her about it because if it wasn't mentioned, I'd bet it's because your amniotic fluid is fine. I lost four or five pounds during my last few weeks of pregnancy; from what I've read, that's not unusual.
#54 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

hey y'all - nothing yet....

WHY IS MY BODY NOT WORKING!!!!!!!! why do i have contractions that GO NOWHERE!!!!!!??????????????

I AM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED and worried, scared, etc etc

7 pm tonight i am going in for the cervadil (unless by some MIRACLE i am dilated/effaced enough, then i can come back in the am for breaking water and or pitocin)

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

i feel that its the right thing to do but i am very unhappy. well swinging between unhappiness, and trying to keep emotions light/numb, trying not to imagine anything except for the next minute.

going to work with the breast pump all day til then.

thanks for your support!!!!

---deb-----

#55 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Ditto that this is great advice.

Quote:

deb
Quote:
i am leaning heavily toward doing the induction monday night. monday night will only be the cervadil and hopefully thats the "nudge" my body needs..........she wasnt going to start pitocin or break water til tuesday.
Quote:

WHY IS MY BODY NOT WORKING!!!!!!!! why do i have contractions that GO NOWHERE!!!!!!??????????????

I AM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED and worried, scared, etc etc

7 pm tonight i am going in for the cervadil (unless by some MIRACLE i am dilated/effaced enough, then i can come back in the am for breaking water and or pitocin)

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

i feel that its the right thing to do but i am very unhappy. well swinging between unhappiness, and trying to keep emotions light/numb, trying not to imagine anything except for the next minute.

going to work with the breast pump all day til then.

thanks for your support!!!!

---deb-----
Ok, which is it? Do you truely feel normal and healthy or do you truely think your body is failing (even though it just made the incredibly complex organism that is your baby)?
If you want to be induced, that's fine--I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I am trying to talk you out of rationalizing it. My advice right now is to pray/meditate/contempate/whatever about your body & about the induction. If you *really* feel good about inducing then go for it, but if you have doubts or reservations or a bad feeling about it DON'T do it even though it's hard. Does that make sense? Now is an important time to really listen to your gut and follow your instincts.

FWIW I believe that it's very unlikely that your body "isn't working".
I also believe that those contractions do not "go nowhere". They just don't result in a baby right away. They are important contractions. They accomplish things--EVEN if those things cannot be measured with gloved fingers.

Oh and I wanted to say--if you do do the cervidil you can repeat it a few times if you don't want to go down pit road immediately. Sometimes it takes multiple doses to ripen a cervix anyway and you shouldn't do pit UNTIL your cervix is definitly ripe.

BTW, how have things been with your partner? Have you guys been loving with eachother (in general--I don't necessisarily mean sex)?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#56 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

ONE HOUR TO GO.

i dont know what i feel anymore.........: its hard to trust my body. i feel that maybe my hormones just are out of wack and i dont know how to signal my body to begin labor. or my mind is just too scared of everything to let myself "start" labor. i have always been terrified of hospitals so that is not helping me be rational in the least.

then again maybe we have no control at all, maybe we just think we do.

the good news is dh has been extra supportive and wonderful thru all of this. good question, btw.

i am comforted in that i got to 42 weeks, comforted that all i might need is a "nudge," comforted that i have a good doula. comforted that all this pre labor is helping me in the long run. comforted that i can always leave after my exam in one hour. the hospital said if i am dialted to 3 they wont make me take the cervidil and i will come home.

deb

#57 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM

It's so good that you have a doula and a supportive DH! You will be FINE!
#58 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 08:53 PM

I hope everything goes well for you, deb!!!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#59 of 60 Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Good to hear from you, been thinking of you all day. Here's hoping you just need a tiny nudge.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#60 of 60 Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
GOOD LUCK, sending you positive labor vibes.

Heidi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page