Suggestion dinner for new mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not in your due date club, but thought you mamas would be the best to ask, since some of you have given birth recently.
I am bringing food to a friend of mine who just had a baby and want some suggestions on what I should bring.
What would you want? Or what have others brought you that you enjoyed.
I want to make it special....
She doesn't have any food restrictions.
Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How very thoughtful of you.

I have some awesome friends who have brought me several meals so far and all of them I give a thumbs up too.

The nicest thing was all my friends have brought extra food and snacks. So one meal stretched into leftovers for several days and I did not have to go out and buy any fruit or veggies.

Also that was very nice for me is I got really sick after I had my c-section. My sister came and got my boys and my husband works swing. I had friends come over and cook me dinner Thursday. It was nice being in my own home, not having to do anything yet having company of other people.

Heidi
#3 of 7 Old 05-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Let's see........ meals that are pretty good size to stretch for another night or leftover lunch are great, as are ones that are "all included ~ veggies/salad/bread, etc." are nice

So far this time around we've gotten little muffin-size chicken pot pies w/ jello; spaghetti casserole with bread & salad; and homemade salisbury steak & gravy over rice with green beans, homemade bread, and tapioca salad.

Fresh fruits & veggies are always a nice accompaniment to the meals. For me, the less processed the better. When I'm in the early days of nursing good homemade food just tastes wonderful!
#4 of 7 Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 PM

How sweet of you! If someone were bringing ME food after having a baby I would appreciate quick healthy things I could just grab easily, like snacks. A veggie tray with dips, a fruit tray, hummus and pita bread, almond butter sandwiches, nut mixes, and maybe a lasagna. I know you won't bring this much, but it's just ideas for you to go by. If she's nursing she's going to be starving to death, hence my suggestions for the quick stuff.
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 AM

I'm still pregnant, but had the whole family down with flu earlier this year and people brought in food - my faves were frozen lasagna (so I didn't have to use it same night - brought by someone who didn't call first and wasn't sure if I might already have something planned/made/brought) and pot roast - but really anything that makes for great leftovers is good I think. Heck with my kids, pizza would be great (though I'd probably end up having a sandwich if I were nursing a new babe - ditto on the lasagna since several of mine have had issues with tomato sauce).
#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
If she's nursing she's going to be starving to death, hence my suggestions for the quick stuff.
Yeah!! And stuff that she can eat one-handed... or prepare one-handed! Our tenants brought me home-made pizza, other friends have brought fruit (strawberries, kiwis and pineapple), soup, oatmeal cookies, pre-cooked chicken, salads, etc. It was ALL appreciated!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 PM

I remember in great detail the meals that were brought to us after our first child was born. It is so thoughtful when people bring new moms meals!

One dish in particular that was unusual and SO GOOD: Chicken Marbella. Do a google search. It has a lot of ingredients that might sound odd together but man, is it good: prunes, garlic, oregano, capers, green olives. Mmmmmm. Someone also made us a type of calzone with ground turkey, peas and monterey jack cheese inside (no tomato sauce) which has become a favorite meal of mine, along with the crunchy coleslaw it came with - one of those versions with ramen noodles crunched up and you use the spice packet to make a dressing? It also has toasted almonds and mandarin orange slices in it. Heavenly!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page