Starting EPO post-due--how much?--It DID work! raven mae's birth post 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a thread (by searching) in our DDC that seems to talk about how much to start at around 35-36 weeks, but I am 3 days overdue and wanting to start now. How much should I be taking? I bought 500 mg capsules and the box recommends, in general, starting at 6 per day with food to build up stores (not specifically for pregnancy). And should I also insert one 500 mg tablet punctured vaginally at night?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
#2 of 29 Old 05-20-2007, 07:11 PM

:

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#3 of 29 Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 AM

My MW recommended 2 400 mg caps daily starting I think it was 36 wks? The kind dh bought though is 1300 mg so I only take it once a day. She also recommended using it w/perineal massage. She did not tell me to insert, but she gives me a squirt from a syringe every week when I go in. I don't know how much is in there.
#4 of 29 Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM

I used it vaginally a few times and put one 1,000 mg capsule in.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#5 of 29 Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I found this
http://www.moondragon.org/mdbsguidelines/postdt.html
(I think it's the same link Synchro posted not to long ago in another thread)

And it says 2500 mg per day orally plus one capsule vaginally, so that's what I am trying. We'll see how it goes...

Thx for the input!
#6 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I started taking EPO orally on Sunday, I took 4x500 mg capsules throughout the day, then 1 500 mg capsule vaginally that night. Monday night I took 5x500 mg capsules, and 1 vaginally that night; woke up in the night and was losing a tiny bit of my mucus plug it was pink and gooey but not very much. Then yesterday (Tuesday) I took 5x500 mg capsules orally throughout the day, and 2x500 mg capsules vaginally last night, and woke up in the night with a lot of bloody mucus plug that's been coming out slowly ever since.

Since about 5:30 I've been up with pretty bad period-like cramps? I think they might be contractions, I guess? And I'm still losing bloody mucus so I don't know..? Trying to figure out what to do today, I want the contractions to CONTINUE not stop! Hrmph! Any thoughts?!

ETA: I'm 40 weeks, 6 days today!
#7 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM

hopefully i'm a little late & you're well on your way to birthing your babe, but....i would suggest WALK! i've had 3 quick labors & with each one i walked, walked, walked (more out of necessity for comfort but it seemed to do the trick!). good luck & looking foward to the update!

stephanie asl.gif

#8 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Sounds like it did work. Exciting. Walk. What about a wonderful walk around the mall. That's what I did. Altho it was kinda busy so not so wonderful. Good luck to ya.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#9 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Yep, walk. I paced in circles in the house (lucky enough to labor during the night ).

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#10 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas! my house doesn't have "circles" to pace but it does have some tidying up to do if this is really it! (Oh I hope so!) But, dp is just going into work for a bit to drop off a few things and will be coming back, so we'll go for a good walk after that.
#11 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM

Yay! I'm glad it did something for you. Sending positive "keep laboring" vibes to you. :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#12 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 01:08 PM

yes, walk, get that baby nice and low and help gravity and your uterus along! and nap between walks if you can! eat like you normally would and enjoy the day.

and remember if you need a ride home I'm still willing.... drop me a PM if you want my number.

Good Luck!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#13 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

kristen! you're so thoughtful, but we're just fine thanks i've had a wad of cab money sitting in an envelope patiently waiting for weeks now. hopefully it'll get used soon.

still gooing here (yuck!), and crampy (i sort of feel like i have AF again), and this morning I cleaned my house top to bottom; but no baby or even particularly painful contractions, yet. : well, we'll see.
#14 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 PM

:
#15 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM

i bet it will happen tomorrow
#16 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

At 40w 6d I took castor oil... worked for me (and not too poopy either!) I drank 2 TBS in Pineapple Papaya Juice- enough to gulp it in about 4 big swallows (it was YUCK), and I was in active labor 5 hours later.

I took EPO everyday- 3000mgs a day, and I don't think it did anything. I think I would have been just as softened had I not taken it, but I don't know.

Good Luck!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#17 of 29 Old 05-23-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the thoughts so far! but ARGH! this is getting kind of frustrating... i'm still losing bloody mucus stuff (er, tmi..) but the contractions fizzled out in the past couple hours even after going for a really long walk on which i had 2 of what i think might be almost regular labour contractions (ouch!). but now...nothin. : these babies do come out, eventually, don't they? don't they? i'm gonna go for another walk after dinner digests a bit ...hmm...
#18 of 29 Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM

yes, they do come out, hang in there. get some sleep while you still can!

#19 of 29 Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Losing a plug a few days before birth is totally normal so don't worry. I've been having those kinds of contractions (menstrual like), and even some "real" whoppers too. Think of it as your body getting all the parts worked out- then they'll cooperate and work together soon to bring baby!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 29 Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

well after a relatively short, but overnight, labour we had our girl this morning at 7:40 am. she doesn't have a name yet : so i'll post in the birth announcement thread more details when i'm not so tired, and when we have them. but it DID work, (well, something did) she's here!
#21 of 29 Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 PM

YAY!!!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the story.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#22 of 29 Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 AM

Congrats, get some rest.
#23 of 29 Old 05-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Cant wait to read your story!!!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#24 of 29 Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
well after a relatively short, but overnight, labour we had our girl this morning at 7:40 am. she doesn't have a name yet : so i'll post in the birth announcement thread more details when i'm not so tired, and when we have them. but it DID work, (well, something did) she's here!
woohoo! congratulations! happy to hear that it worked are you home? (did you even go to the hospital?) That's three for three for girls in Vancouver! woohoo!

#25 of 29 Old 05-26-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

here's the pg13 version i'm sending to friends and family, addt'l details to follow

Quote:
All day Wednesday (May 23), starting at about 5 am, I was having mild cramping or light contractions, I didn't really know what they were or what they meant. At 10 pm, we tried to go to bed. Jeff fell asleep, my mom fell asleep in the living room, but I couldn't sleep because I was in too much pain. At about 11:30 pm, I woke my mom up and said, "How am I supposed to sleep like this?!" because I was having somewhat painful contractions every 10-20 minutes or so. I was under the impression that it was some sort of "pre-labour" and was going to continue at least all night, maybe for a couple days. But my mom said she thought I was actually in labour, and I thought "Nooo... that would hurt more than this." But sure enough, by about 1 am they were pretty painful, so I decided to get in the bath.

That helped a bit with the pain, but after about an hour I was feeling too warm, so I got out; by that time contractions were about three minutes apart. My midwife, Beth, had told me I should call her when they were three minutes apart for two hours, but by about 2:45 i was in agonizing pain, so I got Jeff to page her. She came over at about 3:30 am, and said I was only 3 cm dilated. She asked what I wanted to do. I told her I would prefer to go to the hospital sooner rather than later, because I was afraid the cab ride would be even worse later. So, she called the hospital to see if they had room, and found out that all the good rooms with bathtubs were taken, and they were also generally swamped. They told us that if we waited a bit longer it would probably be better. We decided to wait and call back around 5 am. Beth went home, and called at about 5 am to see what we wanted to do. She told us there were still no bathtub rooms at the hospital, but we could still go there and settle for a different room. By then I was in really bad pain, so I asked her whether there was one that at least had a shower, and she said yes, so I told her that would be fine. We agreed to leave right away and meet her there.

When we got to the hospital, I was in triage for a bit, but I have no idea how long. It was probably from about 5:30 to 6:00 am. When my midwife arrived, she checked again, and I was 6-7 cm dilated. They moved me to a delivery room, and I got in the shower right away. I sat in the shower for maybe an hour, and at around 7 am I had to get out because it was clearly time to start pushing. I went back to the bed, and within 5 or 6 pushes and 30 minutes or so, the baby was born at 7:40 am (Thursday, May 24th). Beth quickly placed her on my chest, and the nurses threw a towel over us. After it stopped pulsating, Jeff cut her umbilical cord. She spent about about an hour with us, then Beth did her checkup and she weighed in at 7 lbs and 7 ounces and measured 19 inches long.
So that was the culmination of all this talk in this thread! I was lucky and made out with only a tiny tear that didn't even need to be stitched. I couldn't believe how much pushing and delivering DIDN'T hurt after/compared to the contractions during transition. It really was an amazing experience. She's been feeding pretty well, except we had some problems learning how to latch on the first day so I'm still a bit sore from improper latching at first... Umm, I'm pretty sure there was more I wanted to say but that's all I can think of for now.

Oh, except CONGRATS to all the other mamas with new babies this week, it looks like there was a LOT!

longer birth story (baby blog): http://ravenmae.wordpress.com/2007/0...-semi-graphic/
#26 of 29 Old 05-26-2007, 06:05 PM

what a super cool little cutie

love it! thanks for sharing!!

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#27 of 29 Old 05-26-2007, 06:20 PM

she's sure a cutie and nice little chubby cheeks
#28 of 29 Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Congratulations! She's gorgeous, and your birth sounds pretty damn good!
For some reason I thought our babies might be born the same day (err, I just typed 'bought' instead of born and had to correct-that's a bit worrying!), but obviously not!
And Raven Mae is a really beautiful name. I had been thinking about Mae as a middle name for our little girl, but I think DP wants something else. And it's looking unlikely that she's even going to be born in May, which was kind of the point!
Enjoy yourselves and rest lots!
#29 of 29 Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Congrats!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page