How do you babymoon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i get bored easily.

baby ezra is only 5 days old & i know i need to rest & hang out with him but i'm having a hard time doing this! don't get me wrong...me & ez are together 22 out of the 24 hrs in a day...but when i have the opportunity to give him up, i can't sit still. i'm a "do-er" by nature & it's ridiculously hard for me to see the house in such disarray & not act on it. i think i did laundry on pp day 2!? i felt ok, though. it's not like laundry takes gobs of energy, right?

anyone else having a hard time babymooning? i wasn't able to do this with my first two either but i really thought i'd be able to relax a bit after #3 & let dh & mom & sis do all the work. it's amazing what doesn't get done when mama's "away," though.....

obviously i have time to browse on MDC so i am getting rest & relaxation time.

stephanie asl.gif

#2 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM

i am not allowed to drive yet (due to c-section) but i go crazy if i am in the house for too long. dh makes sure to get me out every other day or so, if even just to go to the grocery store. i guess i am just not a good babymooner either. it was the same way with ds, we were getting out and about by the time he was a week old.
#3 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM

nak

my babymooning is continuously interrupted by visitors. apparently this the first baby girrl born, ever.

i want to clean too. i'm just forseeing the hellacious mess that will await once things are back to "normal"... eep!
#4 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM

I lost a fair amount of blood quickly (I am only 48 hours from birth and no longer bleeding because it all came so quickly) - so I am not allowed out of the house and it is hard for me too! I have been tidying when I can and we have had a ton of visitors which makes it nice for me (very social by nature).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM

Babymooning, what's that? I'm pretty much back to the normal grind and have been for a few days (dd is 1 week old today). Dh went back to work on Monday and my mom is staying with us for another week so I am getting some help but with work (just computer/online work) and the kids, relaxing just isn't happening much.
#6 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
im going nuts and its only day 3!!! i want to do SOMETHING!!!!!!!!
i cant get over the guilt i feel when people give me those looks when im out and about. for goodness sakes cvs picking up a script on the way home from the hospital and some old lady berated me about being out.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#7 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I had Maggie on the 2nd via c-section and got out of the hospital on the 4th, went grocery shopping on the way home, Maggie was baptist that night, next day Liam had First Communion then we went to see my parents and spent the night. Every day the next week someone had a dr apt. I was feeling fine then got really sick and was told stay in bed or else I would be hospitalized. I had to see the dr. every day for 8 days now I am down to twice a week. So I am trying to take it easy.

Heidi
#8 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM

I guess I'm another one who doesn't do babymoon very well. I was so very very sick while I was pg that after Elise was born I felt like a new woman! The day I got out of the hospital we had to go to Babies R Us b/c Elise was too small for her car seat (I had a Britax Mathron). I kept her in the sling and didn't let anyone see her one lady was pretty upset but I didn't care!: I've been out and about a lot. I do keep people away from her and don't let any one touch her. She is 4 weeks tomorrow. I'm not bleeding anymore either. I do still rest when she is nursing and if I feel tired I lay down. I think as long as we feel ok its ok, (at least thats what I'm telling myself )
#9 of 23 Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Babymoon........sounds like such a nice word. DH was home for 2 days, my mother here for 3. DH works 75 hrs a week, mother lives 7 hrs away.

I have 3 boys. 1 that I homeschool. 1 that is *2.5*, enough said. A sick completely bedridden grandmother that moved in Sunday that I have to do EVERYTHING for. AND I have to drive DH to and from work due to only having 1 car and me needing the car during the day.

Not to mention bilirubin checks the first week and my 8 year old broke his arm last week wrestling around with oldest son.

ALL this and my sweet baby is only 2.5 weeks old!!!

BABYMOON!! Would be nice.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#10 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 12:11 AM

You know, I'm still pregnant - but I remember very very clearly going shopping TJ Maxx kind of shopping with my mom when DS was 4 days old. I had to take him to the dr office anyway - which I felt had way more germs than TJ Maxx. And I didn't let people touch him etc..... but I personally felt way way way better PP than I did preggers.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#11 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 AM

We went shopping at Costco 4 days PP after a c-section . Kayleigh and I rode on one of those flat deck carts, her in her carseat with a blanket over her. We've been out lots since then too, but no one is allowed to touch her and few are even allowed to look at her!

I was in the hosp for the first three days and had to ask to go home early because being there was driving me NUTS!! I am just not a good babymooner... I can't sit around and do "nothing" all day! I am severely anemic as well, so I'm supposed to be resting and taking my iron supplements

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 AM

I figure I have all this energy, and the baby is sleeping so much I might as well take advantage! It's gonna be really really hard to get stuff done when they start to sleep less, and gosh get mobile! So, I'm staying in bed a lot but I have my computer with me and when I'm up I've been chipping away at projects like sorting/folding and putting away tons and tons of laundry, organizing closets and shelves, keeping up with orders for my store, etc. Today I managed to get our window boxes planted. Took Delia and Henry to the flower shop to get petunias, had my husband bring the window boxes inside and just went ahead and planted them and got dirt all over our living room. But they got planted!
#13 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

phew! i'm glad i'm not the only one because i anticipated getting responses like "take it easy!" "don't rush things," "enjoy your newborn," etc. i really did intend on taking it easier this time (the day i came home with dd1 we had a family birthday party & a few days after dd2 we hosted christmas!). since ds was born at home it's really been a "party" because people just come & go and i honestly have enjoyed it. the day i had him it was as if we had an extended family bed. at any one give moment there were usually 3-5 people plopped in bed with me. when they all went downstairs to eat or give me peace i started to get restless. the next morning i got up, showered & went downstairs because i couldn't fathom lying in bed again all day!

and i have to say, most of you are much more active than me already! i feel like i need to be doing more after reading some of your posts! one thing i know we can all say....we feel great & we're enjoying our babes, right?

stephanie asl.gif

#14 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i feel good today.its nice being able to walk without feeling like im going to split in two!
i cleaned my kitchen,made merengues for my son's class and put away a load of laundry.
im wiped now though.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#15 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM

I didn't have a babymoon. I have 5 other kids and DH was home for a week but I couldn't just rest, I need to do what I normally do or I would get depressed and I feel better when I am doing something!

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#16 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
Babymoon........sounds like such a nice word. DH was home for 2 days, my mother here for 3. DH works 75 hrs a week, mother lives 7 hrs away.

I have 3 boys. 1 that I homeschool. 1 that is *2.5*, enough said. A sick completely bedridden grandmother that moved in Sunday that I have to do EVERYTHING for. AND I have to drive DH to and from work due to only having 1 car and me needing the car during the day.

Not to mention bilirubin checks the first week and my 8 year old broke his arm last week wrestling around with oldest son.

ALL this and my sweet baby is only 2.5 weeks old!!!

BABYMOON!! Would be nice.
you make me tired.

Heidi
#17 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Everyone is different, but I found that I got breast infections if I went out in public before about 3 weeks pp because my babies just slept due to overstimulation and didn't nurse well out.

I just stayed in my bed!!!! I read great books while baby slept, talked on the phone with friends near and far, took naps, worked on baby's scrapbook, and ate a ton. As far as how the house looked, I wouldn't have known because I didn't look!! I DESPERATELY need that cloistered time of quiet and rest because I know it will not come again until the kids move out! Once the time has passed, it's gone.

I am SO looking forward to this time! It's like a vacation. (and I NEVER stop moving normally- I consider it good self-work to try to rest.)

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#18 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM

I was forced into a long babymoon- not fun for someone who has trouble relaxing.

I was in the hospital for 5 days post c-section, home for 5 days wondering why I experienced excrutiating pain and was unable to leave the house because of the pain, hospitalized for a few days due to a staph infection that explained the excrutiating pain, and then dependent on visiting nurses for a few weeks who came out to my house to pack the incision daily.

I feel pretty stressed- esp. since I strongly suspect that the infection has returned (although I'm in denial and taking an old script for antibiotics in the hopes of keeping it at bay until next week after my out of town company leaves), BUT bonding with my DS has been great and I'm glad that we've been able to spend so much time just cuddling and resting together.
#19 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Whenever I think I'm getting bored, I just remember my bladder and urethra and how I would like them to work when I'm my mom's age, and I suddenly lose the urge to do anything other than stare at my baby and love on her .

But seriously, I have had to spend the second half of my pregnancy coming to grips with just letting my house be. And I've told the older children that they don't have to clean their room, as long as all the toys STAY in there. So the rest of the house is OK, and i'm putting visitors to work in the kitchen and on the laundry and it's OK. We're ok. Messy, but OK. As I get back into things, I keep reminding myself that I'll have days and days of being home to clean the house, but I'll only have a newborn with this smell for a few weeks.
#20 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Gina View Post
Whenever I think I'm getting bored, I just remember my bladder and urethra and how I would like them to work when I'm my mom's age, and I suddenly lose the urge to do anything other than stare at my baby and love on her .

But seriously, I have had to spend the second half of my pregnancy coming to grips with just letting my house be. And I've told the older children that they don't have to clean their room, as long as all the toys STAY in there. So the rest of the house is OK, and i'm putting visitors to work in the kitchen and on the laundry and it's OK. We're ok. Messy, but OK. As I get back into things, I keep reminding myself that I'll have days and days of being home to clean the house, but I'll only have a newborn with this smell for a few weeks.
AHHH!! This brought tears to my eyes. Mostly because of what you said about your baby only having this smell for a few weeks. It is so awsome isn't it. I kiss and smell my sweety all day long.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#21 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 03:12 AM

My baby isn't smelly! I don't think my daughter was either! Maybe I don't have some maternal thing about the smell. We all took a bath today and his head smells a little more after that, but that's it! Oh well. I kiss*kiss*kiss*kiss his head/face instead of sniffing.
#22 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 AM

I'm trying to stay home but when I tried to make a PP appt and a well baby appt I had to go in with DH and ask for a note stating that I gave birth since I didn't call 911 or have any professional at the birth.(I always thought 911 is for emergencies)After all that walking around I feel like i've done too many situps.I'm now really trying not to see the red dirt on the white tile floors as my DD scoots by on her back.My sons really need to get out of the house and I want to also.It doesn't help that we can hear the fair.
I do like being able to nuzzle my critters in bed though.I've discovered DD recently got her molars and my little mystery guy laughs alot.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#23 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
I'm trying to stay home but when I tried to make a PP appt and a well baby appt I had to go in with DH and ask for a note stating that I gave birth since I didn't call 911 or have any professional at the birth.(I always thought 911 is for emergencies).
who did you have to get the note from?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page