baby skin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what are you guys doing for your new ones skin.... my mom has been here and is a big beleiver in pet. jelly and greasing her all the way up... i have some calif baby lotion but it has smell??? we live in abq, new mex so it is very dry and hot hot hot. she is two weeks old and already has heat rash. any ideas.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#2 of 19 Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I wonder how well breastmilk will work. We don't do anything really. When DD was a baby we did baby massages with apricot baby oil Burt's bee.
#3 of 19 Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 PM

I have used Burt's Bees baby lotion a couple of times so far.
#4 of 19 Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 PM

for heat rash i like bagbalm but mostly i dont do much.

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#5 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM

For heat rash, I think it's best not to do anything except a cool bath. I think lotions would just make it harder for her skin to sweat.

We've been using lanolin and coconut oil for dry skin.
#6 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Expellier pressed evoo right after bath...you'd be surprised how quickly it is absorbed. Or the burts bees apricot oil. Otherwise, nothing. We're in AZ, so I understand about the heat!!!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#7 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM

Wow - I don't do anything. Henry's a month old and has gotten I think 6 showers/baths with either me or my husband. No oil or lotion or anything. It has been pretty rainy here, so not dry, though.
#8 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 03:46 AM

I use either burts bees apricot oil, or the baby bees buttermilk lotion. I use it mostly because I LOVE how it smells.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#9 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM

another burt's bees fan! i ADORE the way these products smell & my little guy definitely needs something on his scaley feet. why is he so dry? we've only taken 2 baths together in 18 days so i'm no over-bathing him. maybe it's the post-date thing, huh? just not as much vernix when born? whatever the case, we've put burt's bees oil & lotion on all our kids & i just want to eat them up, they smell so yummy. (of course, the natural baby smell is pretty yummy, too!).

for heat rash, though, i wouldn't put anything. sounds like it would irritate it more. but i'm not an expert....

stephanie asl.gif

#10 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
why is he so dry? we've only taken 2 baths together in 18 days so i'm no over-bathing him. maybe it's the post-date thing, huh? just not as much vernix when born?
dd was 8 days past due and she was born with what we called little old lady hands and feet - very wrinkled and dry. we were told at the hospital it was because she was post due and that we didn't need to worry about putting anything on them. it took a couple weeks for all the old dry skin to fall off, but now her hands and feet are smooth and soft.
#11 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM

I haven't used anything yet, but he also hasn't had his first official bath yet (only a couple of sponge baths so far) since he just lost his cord yesterday. He has a lot of baby acne still so I probably won't use anything anytime soon. After that, I'm a fan of Baby Magic (I've used it on myself since high school) though on a baby I tend to only use just enough to get the smell and/or hit the really dry spots. Oils make me shiver, like nails on a chalkboard.
#12 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM

I massage my baby with olive oil. I am using breastmilk for her face which has heatrash or baby acne or something going on...wondering when that should clear up...

Grace Comes.

#13 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM

None of my kids went past their due dates, all still had a good amount of vernix when born and I didn't give any of them frequent baths as newborns, we don't live in a super dry area - yet they all had dry skin, and even peeled over most of their bodies. *shrug* I don't know why, it must just be me and my dry skin being passed on. Though, I did make a point with this new little girl to leave the vernix on much longer and she didn't get a bath in the hospital like they always like to do and she's a little less dry than my other two kiddos were.
#14 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM

Yeah, DS was 2 weeks EARLY and had very dry hands and feet right from the get go, took about 2-3 weeks to clear up. Now we're battling cradle cap adn acne. Rubbing with olive oil helped a ton for the cradle cap. I need to do another dose for the back of his head next time he gets a bath. I have used the CA Babies calming lotion after his half dozen baths. I'll have to try the Burt's Bees stuff next.

Oh, am I the only one who LOVED the smell of their newborn pre-bath? Was it the amniotic fluid smell? (although I've heard from some people that it doesn't smell ...)

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#15 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post
Oh, am I the only one who LOVED the smell of their newborn pre-bath? Was it the amniotic fluid smell? (although I've heard from some people that it doesn't smell ...)

Oh my I LOVED that smell- I thought dd smelled like the jungle! I remember saying to my husband, "let's imprint this smell on our brains so we never forget it"...
:

Grace Comes.

#16 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Oh my I LOVED that smell- I thought dd smelled like the jungle! I remember saying to my husband, "let's imprint this smell on our brains so we never forget it"...
:
Yeah, very earthy. I totally hope it's imprinted in me. :

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#17 of 19 Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post
I loved that smell

now I"m using burts bees oil to give him massages every couple days we don't use soap or baby wash in the bath right now
#18 of 19 Old 06-07-2007, 02:30 PM

yeah post-dates babes apparently get very dry/peely, and Claire being 17 days late in this Texas heat....

we love Burt's Bees stuff too apricot oil after a bath, buttermilk lotion on hands and feet every day or two

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#19 of 19 Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
dd was 8 days past due and she was born with what we called little old lady hands and feet - very wrinkled and dry. we were told at the hospital it was because she was post due and that we didn't need to worry about putting anything on them. it took a couple weeks for all the old dry skin to fall off, but now her hands and feet are smooth and soft.
We're dealing with that here, too! Well-meaning friends are recommending this or that lotion but at 6 days old, I can't see putting anything on her. I will def get some Burt's bees stuff after all these posts for later, though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page