post partum healing / exercise - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - jumping over from June ddc since yall are a bit ahead of us. My baby is 8 days old... My midwife had mentioned that most of her clients are feeling about 90% after two weeks. is this really true? The day before I had Gabriella I was walking 3-4 miles/day including some good sized hills. Right now I can barely make a block. Part of it is exhaustion, part of it is perineum still healing. But still, it's hard for me to imagine that I would be able to do even half of my trail walk in just a week. How are you guys doing on this? (the lack of exercise and being out of the house is driving me crazy.)

another question - I didn't tear but still my perineum was pretty sore. That has gone down somewhat but I still feel very weak when I walk or am upright for too long - the pelvic floor seems like it's falling down. BMs are somewhat scary as well because of the pressure. Is this normal you think?

tia!
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2007, 01:03 AM

First of all good for you for walking that much right before the birth!! I felt great right after the birth and it has been really good ever since. I've done some walking but haven't gone back to the gym yet (mainly due to child care).
Give yourself time... I think the main thing is how much sleep your getting and what your eating. The more you rest now the faster your body will heal. Plus your only a week out of child birth things are not going to feel back to normal yet.

Mommy to Two
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 AM

At five weeks I finally made it out for a walk... 2 km. I could have gone further but opted to not push things. My hips and thighs were achey the next day. *shrug* I had a c-section, so my perenium is not sore, but I can tell that my bones are still re-aligning.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 AM

physically i have felt great this time BUT it is my 3rd time and i had a very easy birth. after my first it was different. i think the first time your body has to shift all around it is harder. i remember being terrified to poop after my 1st. i did have a really nasty tear (after episiotomy) and i'm sure that contributed. i remember taking a short walk around my block and feeling really winded too. so i think it is totally normal, especially after a first birth, to take a while to heal. listen to your body and don't overdo it or you will take even longer to heal. i'd say when you feel up to it try taking a short leisurely walk with your baby, not so much for exercise as just to get out and enjoy nature with your new one. soon you'll be walking longer and further and faster and feeling great doing it.

congratulations!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM

I had a tough recovery the first time. I wasn't eating well I think that's why. This time I had a c/s and was able to start walking about a week out and gradually built up to 2.5 miles with baby in the sling at 16 days pp. Take care of yourself, rest, eat well and start slowly getting back to your routine. 8 days isn't very long.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 AM

i had an easy birth this time so i healed way faster. i had a tear w/ 2 stitches so my perineum wasa bit sore for weeks.

the blood loss can cause exhaustion IME.

congrats, btw!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM

i say, take it easy & be gentle with yourself, mama! i know you're anxious to get out & get moving, but your body did some crazy work & it really needs time to heal. the more you push yourself, the longer it will take for you to get back to "normal," IMO. you're apt to have extended bleeding & perineal soreness. a little walking won't hurt but even a couple miles might be too much. plus, are you breastfeeding? our bodies really need some time to adjust to this new change because our babes literally suck it all out of us!

stephanie asl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page