Cod liver oil - vitamin A overdose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My prenatal (Rainbow Light) has 5000 IU of Vitamin A. It is 50% Beta Carotene and 50% Palmitate. Is it safe for me to continue my daily dose of cod liver oil (Nordic Naturals)? That adds between 3000-5000 IU a day. Oh, and I eat a lot of carrots!

I've read that too much Vitamin A can cause birth defects. Does anyone know what is safe?

TIA!

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#2 of 7 Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Wow - my prenatal says 10,000 IU of Vit A as Beta-Carotene. (Natures Plus Source of Life - a whole food supplement). I also take Garden of Life CODmega which adds about 800 IU of Vit A (I take 2 caps a day, instead of 3) I thought the beta-carotene was the safest form of Vit A to take. My doc is conservative, and told me last PG to take only 4,000 IU of Vit A per day. I hope someone hops on this thread and chimes in with an answer! :

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 AM

I would be very careful about taking too much vit A. Vitamins, A, D, E & K are all vitamins that are stored in your fatty cells. So, if you take in more than your body needs, it will stay in your body. If you take excess vitamins that are water soluable, your body will pee it out, this is what ppl mean when they say not to worry when you take vitamins, you will pee out the extra stuff you don't need, but that's not true in regards to A, D, E & K. So, basically, it is possible to build up toxic levels of vit A, D, E & K. If I were you I would not go overboard with the vit A. Find out what the RDA is for a pg woman, and stick with their recommendation as a guideline. I remember reading something about how retin A is unsafe for pregnant women, and it is a form of vit A... so I would think that any sort of excessive vit A would not be advisable during pregnancy.
#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 AM

This is an older thread on the topic. 6 pages of good info!!!!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=408632
#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 AM

Vit A only causes birth defects from animal sources. Beta Carotene is fine...I don't think cod liver is.
#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
This is an older thread on the topic. 6 pages of good info!!!!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=408632

Wonderful, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks ladies

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#7 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany123 View Post
Wow - my prenatal says 10,000 IU of Vit A as Beta-Carotene. (Natures Plus Source of Life - a whole food supplement). :
After reading the posts, I have decided my prenatal is fine. It is made from whole foods, and the vit a in it is plant based (beta carotene), and converted in the liver to a usable form of Vit A.

What an interesting subject!

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page