Weekly Thread: Oct.1st - Oct. 8th - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy October June Mamas!

i'm not exactly sure how this works but i figure we just pick up wherever we left off last week.

i hope everyone is doing good and feeling strong.

what are people eating for healthy snacks? i've been eating lots of fruit but feel like i need more protein and fiber.

it's a rainy morning here and my ds has watched toy story 3 times already : since he woke up at 6.

that's all for now.

take gentle care....
#2 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Hello!

My diet hasn't changed much just yet... especially since I just got my yesterday. I need to be a little more diligent about walking and generally getting more exercise. It's hard when I feel so tired. :yawning:

We have a birthday party for a 4-yr-old to attend today. My DD is so excited!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#3 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 PM

I have a favorite high-protein snack that especially good when you're busy or at work.

1/2 glass kefir (probiotic yoghurt drink high in protein and good against yeast)
1/2 glass any juice you like
mix well and toast to a healthy happy baby & you.
Tori
#4 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 12:59 PM

Oh, I just posted on the other thread, lol. I love almond butter on anything for a high protein snack. I really like it in smoothies, yum.

Kristinjoy.gif, ebfing, cding, non-circing, bedsharing, crazy busy mama to three amazing littles!  
#5 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

congratulations and welcome mamamerle!

from last weeks thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdybs View Post
I know that I am willing to listen to my dh's concerns about a homebirth vs hospital birth for a few reasons. Primarily, he feels very strongly about it, more strongly than I do. It is his birthing experience too (even if I am the one doing all the work) and I don't want him to be scared out of his mind and on edge the whole time. Whatever the setting is, I want us both to be comfortable. I would probably be more comfortable at home, but not if he is nervous, kwim? We are partners, and we make compromises as part of our marriage. I'm sure if I cared more than he did or if he didnt' have feelings of abject terror at the thought of a homebirth he would agree to one. That is why I would like to try and get him to change his mind but if he doesn't that is fine by me too. It probably doesn't help that the only 2 people we know who have planned a homebirth have either ended up in the hospital for a C and I had a complicated birth with our first.
kirsten - this makes total sense to me and it sounds like you and your dh have a very strong and healthy relationship. maybe he will change his mind but i'm sure you will be more than fine whatever direction you choose to go in.

i'm hungry all the time too. i think i've already eaten 4 times today! yikes. that's why i'm trying to just eat good stuff. this might not last long but i'm also trying to keep a 'food log' to keep myself on track - we'll see

mmmm...kefir smoothies and almond butter sound good. writing my shopping list right now
#6 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 PM

For snacks I've been eating lots of fruit, some veggies with ranch veggie dip, cashews with lots of salt (I have low BP), granola bars, cheerios without milk (help with nausea), and popcorn. Oh and pickles and olives galore. I just went food shopping and bought lots of yogurt and jalepeno jack cheese with sesame crackers for snacks this week.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#7 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Gosh my first real post here

Well I am a little nervous since my last one ended in a m/c at almost 8 weeks. I got a little confused and thought I was only a little over 2 weeks pregnant until last night when I realized it's not from conception it's from lmp so I am 4 wks 5 days which brings me closer to that point where I can breathe easier. I started spotting last time in my 5th week, baby died somewhere close to 8 and I m/c naturally a few weeks later. It's hard to be excited just yet because I don't want to feel like an idiot if it happens again.
#8 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM

em&namama I haven't been through a loss, but I hope that there is some way you can feel better soon both about this pregnancy and your last one. No woman should "feel like an idiot" and there are lots of us here to help support you through this time.

Healthy snacks....I am gobbling up your suggestions! Keep em coming!
My last pregnancy I ate raw almonds like they were chocolate chips. It was the ONLY thing that helped my nausea. I carried a little container of them with me everywhere. So my list contains....
*Almonds
*crackers and cheese
*Homemade bannana bread/date bread etc.
*Eggs! Hardboiled, scrambled, anyway you like...egg on toast, eggsalad, etc.
*black beans and rice (I always have some in the fridge it seems...i LOVE black beans)
*While still in season, tomatos with mozerella and basil
*Hummus and veggies or crackers/bread
*I make my own trail mix with peanuts, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and a few chocolate chips

Okay that's it for now! I gotta go get some food.
Sandra

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#9 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 04:24 PM

So . . the nausea hasn't really hit yet, but thinking about the mashed bananas in homemade banana bread . . . .:Puke

That turned my stomach. Guess I might not be so far away from the onset of m/s after all . . . .

Christine

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#10 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 05:18 PM

I've been super hungry, but on the flip side, I get full pretty fast. Going to the market today was fun - so much looked good! I'm trying to be well-rou nded in my diet (and not in my body!) but have been craving pizza and pasta!
#11 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Oh Christine!! I'm Sorry! I didn't mean to turn you green (but that's a good sign right? ).

Violet...I was looking at the due date thread...do you know your date and just aren't telling or is it unknown?

WELCOME mamamerle!! H&H 9 months!

So I'm tele teching today instead of having my own patients out on the floor. When you're tele tech you sit in a room and stare at monitors filled with heart beats. SOOOO Boring. Thank god there's a computer in here and I can hang out on MDC all day

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#12 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Fortunately, my stomach is still being quiet at 5.5 weeks so right now, anything goes for food. PB on whole wheat english muffins is tasting better and better these days. Really, anything with PB sounds good. I don't usually have much protine in my diet so I know I'm going to have to be careful about that, making sure I have chicken on hand to toss into whatever I'm cooking.

shockels, I'm a huge black bean fan as well. I have a really easy black beans and rice recipe that I haven't made in ages, thanks for reminding me about it. Yummy, black beans and roasted red peppers.

Lots of dried fruit for me as well. Oh, and apples. Is anyone else incredibally happy that it's apple season?
#13 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:03 PM

My personal favorite now is fruit...but I'm really not very hungry. Mostly I'm eating because I feel like I should, not because I'm actually hungry.

I'm in my fourth week, and whoever says that morning sickness doesn't happen this early hasn't seen me. Of course, I've managed not to PUKE yet, but that doesn't change the desire of my tummy. Blech.

I almost puked in yoga class and then again in worship today.
#14 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:04 PM

I bought some organic apples, and I will NEVER go back. They are SOOO much better than those yuckies I've been buying. My DH was more willing to spend the extra $$ since I'm pregnant. Thanks baby!
#15 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Cersha - I noticed you're in a teacher training for yoga - what style?

What pose were you in that nauseated you the most today??

Christine

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#16 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 PM

I LOVE your style, but they don't offer that here.

It's a fusion style...they teach power vinyasa and mind-body. My instructors were trained at Discovery yoga...and they each have their own kind of style. It's not a "pure" yoga style. I used to practice Ashtanga...but I like a more mellow, restorative practice. (oh, the power vinyasas are done in heat) It just a weird blend. The studio is very mainstream, which I don't *love* but they are the only ones nearby that do teacher training.

LOL, I wasn't actually in a pose, we hadn't actually started...I layed down on my mat and thought, crap. I'm going to barf. =)
and a lot of the sun sal was making me dizzy.
#17 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 PM

Cersha - where do you live?? Just curious! Even in Indianapolis, IN, we've got a good little yoga community going . . . though I did have to travel to NM for my training . . . . .

Shockels - Not to worry! It made me laugh more than anything

Christine

#18 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

welcome em&namama & cersha! for me, becoming a mother went hand in hand with a whole new world of worry that that i never understood before i started growing/having kids. it's totally normal to worry but try not to let that overwhelm all the happy feelings either. excitement and anxiety are very close to each other and can sometimes be tricky to separate. try to enjoy this time but definitely don't beat yourself up for worrying. just my opinion...

i am so loving all of these snack suggestions - can't wait to eat them all (hopefully not all at once though). we're enjoyng a lot of apples at my house right now too - i've probably had about 3 today cuz ds keeps asking for them and not finishing...can't let good food go to waste.

sandra - i haven't met with my midwife yet but i think my EDD is may 30th. there was a lot of confusion about cycle length and which date to use (actual LMP, adjusted LMP, O/Concptn) so based on the 28-day model (which i really don't fit into) it's may 30 but another calculator said june 3rd and i really feel it's going to be more early june. so that's the big mystery.

why? you wanna bump me back to the may DDC?
#19 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Jacksonville, FL. We have studios...just not many training programs. (this studio is accredited? by the Yoga Alliance, which I like)

This area isn't super open to yoga. People think it is some kind of satan worshipping or something. I dunno.

It just isn't a big thing here.
#20 of 99 Old 10-01-2006, 08:29 PM

i'm feeling pretty much nauseous all the time right now. waking up in the middle of the night with a growling but nauseous stomach. not my fave. it is feeling worse by the day almost. food sounds AWFUL most of the time but i'll hit a point where all of a sudden i'm starving and i can eat a huge meal. that's about once a day. the rest of the time is forced eating. ugh. dh keeps saying 'you wanted this!!!' yeah, i know.

ahh ds is waking from his nap. bye!
#21 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM

Welcome new people!

I've also been feeling "yucky" the past couple of days (I am 5 weeks 3 days I think). I am going to the store to stock up on high protein snacks before I start feeling worse. Some things I am getting:

Eggs - I can't seem to stomach my daily breakfast of oatmeal, so I am switching to scrambled eggs with ham and cheese.

Refried black beans - mixed with salsa, make into quesadillas w/ cheese.

Cottage cheese and cream cheese (my kiddos have dairy issues, so we rarely get a lot of milk/cheese products - but they sound so good to me right now!)

Frozen fruits and veggies - I need something quick I can add to recipes without cleaning/cutting etc. The thought of fresh veggies is turning my stomach

I am also going to make a lot of quick breads today (banana and pumpkin) to freeze.

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#22 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone! Jumping in here! We just found out yesterday, at 9 dpo. The tests are all still VERY faint. We were OTL since January and sort of trying since AF came back this summer. My luteal phase was too short because of nursing, and I expected this to take a while. I was pleasantly suprised it only took about five cycles.

I'm sort of in denial I think. I should call my midwife and let her know so she can pencil me in for June, but I'm just weirded out by it all!
#23 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Welcome, new DDC members!

We've got our first meeting with the midwife this afternoon. I'm so excited! DH is about 90% ready to commit to a homebirth - he just needs to ask a few questions and get some reassurance that if something goes wrong we'll be able to get medical care in time. We live about 20 minutes from a decent hospital with a good NICU, so that's not a real problem, but he needs to hear that from someone other than me. So hopefully we'll officially decide on a homebirth today.

I'm aslo looking forward to scheduling a sonogram to confirm the dating of the pregnancy. : I know it's not entirely necessary, but I'll feel more confident once I've seen that heartbeat. Besides, DH and I can't agree on teh date of conception. We know it was a Monday, but he claims it was 9/4, and I'm pretty sure it was 9/11, so the sonogram will put an end to the argument. DH really wants to tell his parents, but I'm making him wait until we've seen a heartbeat. Poor guy!

So far no nausea (knock on wood) but it didn't start until 6-7 weeks last time, so I'm definitely not out of the woods yet. I have developed the "super sniffer" already - I can smell *everything* and it's driving me nuts! And of course I'm always hungry and always tired. I was really looking forward to the second trimester until I heard that's when most women lose some or all of their milk! So now I'm kinda dreading it...

Hope everyone is having a good day!
#24 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 PM

I have scheduled my first appointment with my MW for next week.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#25 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
tls

Hello!

I am nauseous, tired, starving, and my boobies hurt. I am in HEAVEN .
I'm just glad to be having symptoms since I had none last time and lost the baby at 7 weeks. I am enjoying every second of being miserable .

Oh and I wanted to add that I really need to redecorate the bathroom at work because I have been spending an awful lot of time in there. How is it possible my bladder is already getting squished so much ?
#26 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM

My sister lives with us, and I cleaned her bathroom yesterday (closest bathroom to the office) because I didn't want to puke in a dirty bathroom. Luckily, I didn't puke, but I sure felt like I would.
#27 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM

hey mamas! just checking in while ds naps- hugs to everyone going through ms. none of that here, but some serious food aversions. i've been eating nothing but either spicy or mexican food lately... i noticed even before my positive hpt that it was all i wanted! weird. can't get enough chili, but yesterday i was giving ds his favorite snack (carrots and ranch dip) and the smell of ranch almost made me lose it! oh! i called today and set up a tour of the closest birth center. wow, this is actually starting to be real! how long are you all waiting to schedule your first prenatal visits?
#28 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 PM

joshsmom - I have my first appt. with the midwife in 2 weeks. . . YAY!

In other news - I had the first twinges of nausea today . . .at exactly five weeks. Full blown m/s may be right around the corner. . . . :

Fine by me! Grow baby, grow! Mama's happy to be sick! No, REALLY!!

Yes, I'm nuts. Get used to it, people, you have eight more months of this!

Christine

#29 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

i have my first mw appt. next tuesday and i guess i'll be just shy of 7 weeks (i think). i talked to her on the phone briefly and got a really good feeling about her. she delivered my good friends 2 kids (#1 transfer, #2 HB) and i watched the video of the second birth and really liked her from that too so i'm hoping everything works out.

i'll ask her this when i meet her but i'm sure lots of you well-read and lovely mamas will know the answer - how early can the heartbeat be heard on a doppler? vs. seen on a u/s? i don't know how long i can wait...

depending on the difference (and when my next m/w visit would be) i might make an appointment with my old ob/gyn just to check in and get the u/s. is this a bad idea? will they ask a zillion questions? do i have to tell them my plans?

i know the mw can refer me for a u/s but if someone is going to be sticking something in me, i'd rather have it be someone i know, kwim?

christine - you are so funny. gotta laugh, right? i love it.
#30 of 99 Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 PM

I think heartbeat can be seen on u/s after 6 weeks and heard via doppler around 9-10 weeks. I'm not positive though. I'm trying to hold out until I'm around 9 weeks to see my MW so we can hear the heartbeat. Then I'll feel a lot better. The waiting is hard but I'm determined not to get an early u/s this time around. I had a few w/DS and one led to another. the doctors kept scaring me saying the preg was possible a tubal preg It wasn't and everything was fine. But DS has some language and motor delays and there is some research showing that both language and motor delays could possibly be linked to early u/s.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page