I'm out too - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started to bleed, bright red blood. I'm so sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM

I'm so sorry, mama.

Take gentle care . .

Christine

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#3 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM

So sorry to hear this. Take good care of yourself. This was your first try, right? It might not make you feel better now, but remember that miscarriages are SO common. You'll probably be back here soon.

Best wishes,
Iris
#4 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 05:00 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Be gentle with yourself.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#5 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM

I am so sorry
#6 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM

So sorry mama . I've been there too. It's heartbreaking. Take care.
#7 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Hang in there sweetie. It's tough, but as someone else said, unfortunately very common. I had to keep reminding myself of that when it happened our first time around.
#8 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 PM

I'm so sorry...take the time you need and be gentle with yourself.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM

Take it easy and take care of yourself mama! Im sorry your going through this. I know its a hard thing to deal with.
#10 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 PM

#11 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 PM

So sorry honey... take care of yourself....

Mommy to Two
#12 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your support. I don't know what to think at this point.

The blood flow slowed down right after the first gush. Like, I was fine wearing the hospital gown and no underwear for hours. Today it's brown, and there's not much of it at all, and no cramping (but I didn't have much cramping to begin with, just a little right before the bleeding started).

My hcg levels were normal for someone at 5 weeks, but no yolk sac could be seen on ultrasound. I know it should be visible by now so that wasn't a good sign. My temp is still up, but who knows what that means.

I'm getting my levels checked again tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping they will increase and this was just a freak bleeding episode, but I'm trying to stay realistic.
#13 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM

The not knowing part is so hard! Hang in there, and take good care of yourself. I hope you get some great news tomorrow.
#14 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM

: Hang in there! I will be thinking of you!!!!
#15 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Hey Becky, this is Liz, the ex-PB. Anyway, i am thinking of you and really hoping everything works out. there is so much we don't know and can't explain about pregnancy (esp the 1st trimester!) and I want this to be one of those weird things that works out for you!!
You're in my thoughts, mama.
#16 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, hi Liz! I've missed you (congrats on your pregnancy, btw!)

Thanks for your kind words. Now for the waiting game... yuck!
#17 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 PM

Sorry you're going through this. I hope it all works out.
#18 of 27 Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well... *sigh* I'm feeling a little discouraged.

I won't know about my hcg levels until tomorrow. The doctor was very sweet and nice and talkative. Based on what I told her, she thought I was miscarrying. *shrug* I don't know. I know that bleeding during early pregnancy doesn't always mean miscarriage is imminent, so I'm not sure why she formed that opinion before examining me or doing my bloodwork or even seeing the paperwork from the hospital. She was just so final about it... telling me how common it is, how we should wait a few cycles before ttc again, etc.

When I went to give a urine sample, I noticed that my spotting had turned from brown a little more pinkish. Not great. So, I won't know officially until tomorrow. I also mentioned my worries about progesterone to her, so she is going to have the hospital test the blood I gave on Monday for that.

During my exam, she said that my cervix was closed.

I'm doing ok. If I am miscarrying, I'm just glad this happened earlier rather than later in pregnancy. Of course I'll be a little bummed, but I feel like I'm going to be ok. My body knows what it's doing, whatever is happening.
#19 of 27 Old 10-11-2006, 09:38 PM

beckyphry, I'm just visiting from MayDueDates. If your cervix is closed it is called a "Threatened Miscarriage". That is a great sign, along with the fact that your bleeding is brown and pink. As long as you are not having strong cramps, I would try to relax, spend time off your feet. I just want to give you hope! I bled, spotted, clotted, every color of the rainbow with DD until 14 weeks. At 5 1/2 weeks a sono showed a sac & fetal pole and my cervix was closed. My beta came back great but my progesterone was too low. I took progesterone suppositories until 14 weeks. She is now 15 months old! With this pregnancy I started spotting pink, all pink, every day for 2 1/2 weeks now. At 5 1/2 weeks the sono showed sac & fetal pole and betas were great. I'm on the progesterone agagin because #s were low. At 7 1/2 weeks, sono showed baby & heartbeat of 148! They don't know why I bleed. It may be just what I do! I did bleed bright red with my m/c but I also had severe cramps & my betas took a dive. I hope my story gives you hope! Maybe we are just "spotters"!
#20 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 AM

any news yet : i hope it will be good news
#21 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Any news yet mama?
#22 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for checking in ladies, and for tryingagain, your story made me feel better.

So get this. The doctor calls and tells me that, due to possible differences in the lab she uses and the lab the hospital uses, she wants me to go back to the hospital tomorrow to be tested again. She said my numbers did not show an increase, but they did not show a decrease, so she wants to see if that issue is just related to the lab she's using. I can't imagine different labs would give different results, but I'll go in tomorrow morning to have my blood drawn, again. Hopefully the hospital will have the results in a few hours since they can read it right there.

So... regarding the advice to stay off my feet... my husband and I were supposed to leave for Boston tomorrow to show some relatives around. I suppose I just should stay home instead? I just don't know. I'm hoping that the lab would have my results by early afternoon, as we are supposed to leave around 5pm, that way I could make a decision. What do you ladies think? Should I just skip out on this little weekend get away? We weren't planning anything too strenuous besides some walking around... maybe I'll call my midwife's office tomorrow to see what they think. But your opinions are welcome!

Thanks again for all the support. I really want to stay a part of this DDC!!
#23 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 PM

Fingers crossed for you mama!

When I was spotting/bleeding during my first pregnancy I was supposed to go on vacation a few days later. My doctor had told me to "take it easy" but also that "there really isn't a lot you can do to prevent a miscarriage at this stage of a pregnancy...it happens if and when it happens. Bed rest isn't necessary or even useful for this sort of early threatened miscarriage".

That said, I asked if I could go on my vacation and he said "yes, but take it easy". When I told him the vacation was actually a two week long camping trip with a LOT of walking in 90-100 degree heat he changed his mind and I wound up spending my two week vacation hanging out at home. (in case the m/c happened while I was three days hike from anywhere and there were medical complications)

So I guess long story short...talk with your doctor and do what feels best to you. But whatever happens, know that a weekend taking it fairly easy in Boston isn't going to "cause" a miscarriage. If it does happen it's NOT somtheing you did and NOT something you could prevent.

Hugs mama...I wish they could have given you a better answer today. Maybe ask for an u/s and explain that you need the information right away? My doctor was able to schedule an u/s within about 12 hours when I called with bleeding at 7 weeks. Hang in there!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#24 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post
So... regarding the advice to stay off my feet... my husband and I were supposed to leave for Boston tomorrow to show some relatives around. I suppose I just should stay home instead?
Right, bed rest will not prevent a m/c. But "staying off your feet" may help YOU to feel better, kwim? As far as the Boston trip, I think it's a great idea to decide based on the hospitals beta result. If the result is good, go for it! If the result shows an impending m/c, you need to decide if you want to "go through that" in Boston, away from home. I actually made that decision. When I m/c my 1st, they called to say my betas had gone down & that I would start to m/c very soon (I had already been bleeding for awhile) and to go for a sono the next morning to "see" what was going on. 5 minutes after hanging up the phone with my Dr, the m/c started. I went to the sono the next morning and the sono confirmed. I went straight from the sono to my OB for a check and a pain med prescription. It was right then and there that I told him that DH and I had plans to go to NH (I'm on Long Island) for 5 days and we were leaving right from his office (in other words, make it a STRONG prescription!) I was devestated by the loss of our baby and deciding to go away anyway was the best decision I ever made (even though the OB advised against in case I had a complication) I was able to have some fun and get my mind off of it for at least a few minutes a day. It was hard not being home and in my own bed and on the go, but I survived it and never regretted the decision.
You do what you feel is best for you & your husband.
Alright, alright, I'm leaving. : I'm going to be quiet & go back to my own DDC!
#25 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Well, my levels are rising, but not enough. Since Monday they haven't even doubled. I was at 4,267 and now I'm at 6,400. Not enough of a rise. They think I have a blighted ovum.

I just hope the miscarriage process is quick. I'm sad and disappointed, but ok. I'm glad it's the weekend and I hope this will happen now instead of dragging on for weeks.
#26 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Take good care of yourself, and hold on to your wonderful attitude. Best wishes for a very speedy recovery.
#27 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM

I'm sorry mama.

Be gentle with yourself, ask for the help you need/want, and may you heal quickly and completely.

Clay

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page