Describe your morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't puke even once in my first pregnancy. I remember describing it as feeling hungover a lot of the time, though.

I also remember not being interested in food at all (HIGHLY unusual for me) and disliking a lot of scents.

Now I am trying to recall when my MS first kicked in, because I'm not really feeling super queasy.

I do have kind of a "pit of the stomach" feeling going on from time to time. And things are starting to smell less than nice. That's it, though.

Is that average for week 5/6? Or am I missing out on all the fun this time? Tell me what your m/s symptoms are.
#2 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 01:50 PM

I am right there with you on the appetite thing. I thought it was just me. I'm just not very hungry, and nothing really sounds good (Not normal). One day this weekend, I hadn't eaten at all, until like 1:30, then my DH and I were going to go out to lunch (still not really hungry) We went to one of my fav resturants, and I ordered my "usual" they told me they didn't have guacamole, so I said, forget it. Then we spent like a hour and a half driving around trying to figure out what I would be willing to eat. We finally settled at a rest. I'd never been to before (they were serving brunch) So I ordered french toast, but I wasn't happy about it. I ate like half of it, because I just wasn't hungry. Mostly I'm eating now because I feel like I should, not because I want to.
#3 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM

I had exactly what you both describe up until this week. Now I have all of that coupled with the "I swear I'm gonna throw up RIGHT NOW" feeling. I've even had to make a few trips to the bathroom just in case. I never had more than a constant nausea feeling when pregnant with DS, so this is really different. This feeling lasts most of the day and usually ends after dinner. Honey nut cheerios are my only saving grace right now. Anything else I eat grosses me out half way through and I can't finish it.

I'm just shy of 7 weeks.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 02:10 PM

I'm just starting to feel queasy in the last couple days and I was six weeks yesterday. It was about the same last time, so I'm not surprised. I've heard from a number of women that their morning sickness was not as bad with the second pregnancy, so I'm hopefull that that will hold true for me as well. :

Last time I felt "green" for a week or so, then started vomiting occasionally for a few weeks, then went back to green, then back to normal. This time around I've been queasy for about half the day since Saturday. Despite some loss of apetite, I'm making an effort to eat as usual because I'm nursing as well, so I need to keep up both my calories and my nutrients.
#5 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 04:41 PM

MS w/ DD was horrific. I won't go into it. MS w/ DS was 8 weeks of laying in bed, puking, and having a nauseous headache all the time. THis time, I feel no energy and I'm starting to feel the nauseated headache. I almost puked this morning over ketchup smell and I usually do puke a good deal when preggo. I'm hoping my herbs and homeopathic remedy will help me out.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#6 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Mine is a sort of low-grade (REALLY low grade) nausea. I don't feel it in my stomach as much as having that extra-saliva-sour-taste-in-the-sides-of-my-mouth-I-may-throw-up feeling. Does that make ANY sense? It starts about 8:30 a.m. and WAS ending around 11:30, though I got an extra-special afternoon wave of it today (mini-peanut butter cups were what finally settled it. Great. : )

It seems to be worse AFTER I eat, rather than before. Smells also bother me more after eating (I have to get away from the dishes within about 2 min. of finishing, or I get yucky). : Guess it's a little different for everyone.

My mom never had m/s, and neither did my dad's sister, so I'm hoping to get off easy . . . . :

Christine

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#7 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Yeah, Christine, I also get worse after eating. Before I feel mildly nauseous, starving--my stomach actually hurts--and sometimes faint and shaky like I might faint. So I eat and I'm starting to realize that I should only eat a couple of bites and stop. If I eat a normal portion of anything I feel like I've stuffed myself and the nausea gets worse, saliva increases, gag-reflexes occur. I can't stand my kitchen. The bathroom is only better because the toilet is there. I've been throwing up--sometimes a couple of times a day. The only things I've been able to keep down consistently are steak, kimchee, kefir and soymilk--never in combination and only in small, small quantities.
#8 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 PM

I have been feeling great and then this morning I smelled my husbands shampoo and I was so overwhelmed with nausea!! This is my first pregnancy and it is still all so surreal I have really been wanting to feel something more to prove to myself that this is really real. I really could have gone without that sign being morning sickness! The nausea has continued mildly throughout the day but I have been able to eat still so that is good. My husband was home with the flu yesterday so maybe I am just experiencing a combo flu/morning sickness deal!
#9 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am convinced that the m/s will kick in, and kick in HARD, on Thursday, when I am in the middle of a *very* important 4 hour exam. :Puke
#10 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM

chinaKat,

I never felt even queasy when I was pg with DD. Not even one day, not even with prenatals, nothing affected my stomach. Once I didn't want to go into the kitchen when dh was cooking something, but it was because the smell was icky, it did not make me nauseous. It IS entirely possible AND normal to have a happy, healthy pregnancy without m/s.

GL
#11 of 26 Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 PM

reading this thread is making me want to puke!!

I'll take it though. As long as this bean sticks!!!
#12 of 26 Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 AM

i couldn't even read people's responses on this thread and skipped right to "respond"! i am working really hard to keep the m/s at bay, which involves avoiding all discourse about m/s and food in general. i am eating lots and well, but don't like eating in the kitchen or with other people who are also eating. i'm trying not to fall into the pit of "nothing sounds good" and just eating anyway! hang in there, only about five or six more weeks of this to go!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#13 of 26 Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 PM

The m/s kicked in for me right after the 5 week point. Just constant nausea, with a little fatigue. If past experience is anything, I'll probably puke a few times over the next ten weeks or so. And I totally agree with whomever said they can't do dishes:Puke Last pregnancy I remember just puking into the sink! And does my refrigerator always smell this bad?
#14 of 26 Old 10-11-2006, 05:25 PM

With my son I felt seasick, but I never threw up. I just gagged alot. It was true "morning" sickness... I usually felt better by about 3 pm. The first week it was all day and night, though. This morning I felt nauseated for the first time, and I know it was because I didn't eat enough. I know my body- when my blood sugar drops I get really sick to my stomach.
#15 of 26 Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaluv
And I totally agree with whomever said they can't do dishes Last pregnancy I remember just puking into the sink! And does my refrigerator always smell this bad?
Haha- with my son it was the dishwasher that smelled really, really bad.
#16 of 26 Old 10-12-2006, 05:34 AM

last time was terrible i had all day sickness for most of the pregnancy and puked a lot. So far i just have the hollow tummy feeling but not sure when it started last time or if i might be so luck as to avoid it this time
#17 of 26 Old 10-12-2006, 07:51 AM

So far (only 5 weeks today!) I am feeling what I felt with DS, but earlier and already more often. (Nervous about that! I had only very mild nausea with him, and eating usually cleared it right up.)

I want to eat something because I feel like that would settle my stomach, but nothing seems quite right and I'm dissatisfied by everything I taste.

Lots of things smell disgusting. I'm thinking my house is a putrid stinking pit because everything reeks--fridge, sink, dining room, some flowers I got for my birthday!

I am HATING any food with the slightest bit of black pepper in it. I swear I can taste EVERY FLECK OF PEPPER. Blech!

--willo
#18 of 26 Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 AM

Does anyone feel nausea while driving thier car? Weird isn't it?!
#19 of 26 Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM

I am only 4 wks today and got my yesterday, but I have been nauseous for a week now and have already "lost it" twice. I had HG (Hyperemesis Gravidarum) with my last pregnancy and ended up needed to be hospitalized twice for severe dehydration. I also needed medication the entire pregnancy for it. Even with it, I was barely able to eat and puked several times per day. I am hoping that this isn't the start of HG again this time.
: for all of you that the morning sickness ends very quickly.
#20 of 26 Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Hello!

I haven't thrown up yet (hoping I won't) but I have totally lost my appetite, which is VERY unusual for me. Thanksgiving turkey dinner last weekend was a total waste for me, the turkey cooking smell made me feel disgusting. The only things I always feel like I can eat are apples, oranges, bananas, and most especially CANTALOUPE! I ate a whole one yesterday (it was sort of my lunch). Today's lunch was an orange. I just can NOT even think about eating a regular lunch at lunch time. Suppers are fine, though. Anything cold and juicy for lunch seems the best. I can't wait until this part is over, though! Hope you're all managing to keep it in!
#21 of 26 Old 10-15-2006, 09:05 PM

Well, the ickies have set in today. I made it to 7.5 weeks so that's pretty good. Nothing serious yet, but I'm making sure I have a supply of bland and boring crackers on hand at all times. No actual throwing up, just feeling like I want to curl up for a while. Sour is the best word I can think of to describe it.

Unfortunately, my stomach has always been touchy, especially in the mornings. As long as I get up and moving and have breakfast within half an hour, I'm usually fine. Now, I'm barely making it through my shower before I start to feel icky. Guess it's time to change my morning routine, or start showering at night.
#22 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Well, the morning sickness seems to be getting progressively worse for me. I haven't vomited yet, but I think that's from sheer force of will. There have been several occasions when I really thought I was going to and had to do some deep breathing and use a cool compress on my neck and forehead to keep from losing my lunch. And it's lasting all day and all night. Blah!

I think this is worse than my last pregnancy, but I'm trying to think positive. My MW reminded me that women with morning sickness rarely miscarry. Now if I can just find a way to get enough nutrients and calories for the new babe, my nursling, and myself until the nausea passes, all should be well.

I really hate the first trimester. I really want to be able to revel in the pregnancy, but it's hard to be excited when you can hardly choke down saltines.

Okay done whining now. Thanks for listening!
#23 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM

Whine away, at least here no one will try and tell you it's all in your head. My friend just came by and ranted to me me about that. Um, no, it's not in my head, its in my stomach and fighting its way up my throat.
#24 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM

I think I was way more nauseous last week. This week I'm dizzy and headaches. And TIRED!
#25 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 AM

I have reasonable days and horrible days right now. Yesterday was reasonable and I was able to do a bunch of laundry and make dinner. Today was horrific. I was driving around doing a few errands wondering if I shouldn't have put a Ziploc bag in the car before I left. I just got done with dinner, and I'm wishing I would have just stuck with the glass of milk and gone to bed. Unfortunately, I still need to give my 2yo a bath and fold some more laundry.

My tummy just feels like a bad hangover (minus the headache) or stomach flu.....just like there's a little man in there with a spoon stirring away. Yuk.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#26 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 AM

These days, I don't feel like eating even though my stomach is empty! The thought of eating meat/fish makes me feel nauseous,but when I smell the cooking, hm... I want to eat.
When I eat my portion doubles and sometimes triples !
In the morning all I want is cereal! Haven't really vomitted yet, but always in the verge of doing it, and I hate it.
Feeling fatigue, in the evening. Want to sleep all the time.

With my first pregnancy, I didn't know I was pregnant until about 8 weeks, when I decided to take an hpt. During those 8 wks I didn't feel anything at all. I started m/s at about 12 wks and continued for about 2 mos. This time around, if I hadn't been ttc-ing and charting, I would've missed the first 6 to 8 wks as well - my cycle is a long one (42 days). As it is I found out when I was 17 dpo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page