Nauseous!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-18-2006, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having waves of nausea on & off since just a few days after ovulation! I was so excited when last week, it seemed to have abated, but yesterday & today, it seems to be back full force.

If I even think about food it comes on. But I know I'm hungry, and need to eat, and once I eat, I feel better - briefly - it's just getting into the kitchen & actually putting something in my mouth that's so tough. Honestly, the thought of anything other than water nauseates me. PARTICULARLY the thought of sweets - ugh.... and that's so not me - weird!

Is anyone else feeling this way? What are you doing about it? Any hints to make food more appealing?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM

I'm in the same boat. It helps me when I don't have to cook the food. I have been eating Amy's burritos and anything frozen and organic/natural. It isn't so bad when I don't have to stand over the kitchen counter to put together a meal. On the weekends, I beg for take out!!!
#3 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM

I have not had it bad this time yet, i am wait for it to hit with full force but last time with dd i was the same 24 hoours a day i was nauseous. I could not smell food cooking at all. Bland food like mashed potatoe and cracker were about all i could eat, i even had to have them next to the bed at night so i could eat something after needing to pee at night. Fizzy water was easier to drink that plain - shame i feel for you and am hoping to avoid it this time.

Eating little and often was the only thing that helped
#4 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm with you ladies. The nausea is just killing me. I haven't been able to cook or do dishes for two weeks now (which isn't as nice as it sounds!) I am just so sensitive to smell, it's hard for me to even open the refrigerator!

I have been subsisting on cold cereal (the milk doesn't seem to bother me), toast, and fruit juices over lots of ice. That's pretty much it, believe it or not.
#5 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 12:55 PM

I hear you, Mama! I can't stand my kitchen--not the fridge, not cooking, not even walking through. Even the thought of food is often enough to send me running to the bathroom. So, my lovely DH now does all the cooking and kitchen work--his idea, the sweetheart! Somehow it's often easier to eat if the food magically appears in front of me without my having to think about, or prepare it. I also find it easiest to eat very small quantities every couple of hours or so. Sipping some gatorade-like drink seems to help a little too. The really frustrating part is that I'm simultaneously starving and nauseous.
#6 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
The really frustrating part is that I'm simultaneously starving and nauseous.
Oh my goodness, this is me EXACTLY! I KNOW I'm hungry, and when I eat, I actually feel BETTER... it's just trying to eat that's the hard part because nearly every food just makes me feel icky!

I really don't remember feeling this way with DD... I hope it passes SOON! :

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#7 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Yup - starving and nauseous. I was like that for my previous 2 and this one as well. I find that keeping something in my tummy at all times helps tremendously. My snack of choice these days is crispy organic almonds and organic chocolate chips
#8 of 48 Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM

My nausea with #1 was like constant motion sickness. This time, I've had nothing... until today. I nearly had to run out of my local cafe for fear of losing it all over the bar. But it's not like the last pg. This feels almost like my gag reflex is being triggered. Weird. I have a cough, too, which doesn't help. I hope this passes soon, as it makes it hard to deal with my 3 year old, who happens to be going through a rough "phase" right now.
#9 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 03:53 PM

yup...must eat but can't stand the thought. And there never seems to be anything I want to eat in the house...but when we go shopping everything seems so ick that I can't imagine wanting any of it! I think I need one of those food thingies from Star Trek. You know, just say the word and it appears!

Last night we went to our local chinese buffet and it was prefect! Somehow eggdrop soup and chicken dumplings and rice noodle and green beans were just what I wanted. Of course, right now the thought of that meal is turning me a bit green.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Another vote for starving and nauseated.

That's how I gained 10 lbs the first trimester last time -- I ate to keep away the barfy feeling. Like all the time. Aack.
#11 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Ack, this just hit me today. Starving, but nauseous. Ugh. Though I will say sweets still sound pretty good, mainly fruit, but "real" food, blech. I hope it's not too bad this time around, maybe it'll be gone tomorrow?!?

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#12 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I just had to post a reply to my own post! I woke up this morning, nauseous as usual, and not looking forward to yet another day of eating just to keep away the feeling... and then feeling guilty about non-stop eating...

so I looked online for "cures" for nausea... and sea bands kept coming up.

So, I went to CVS, and bought a pair... and...

THEY ACTUALLY WORK!!!! They sure aren't pretty, and don't cut the nausea out completely, but heck if it isn't better than feeling sick or eating food that doesn't even taste good to me all day long.

#13 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 PM

I bought some ginger extract today to put under my tongue when I feel nauseous. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that ginger is just about the only natural remedy that really works.

Today, I've been queasy all day, but not even hungry. I had scrambled eggs and tea for b'fast, a bag of oyster crackers and some cheese puffs made by the "Pirate's Booty" people. I know I should eat more, but nothing sounds good.
#14 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 PM

So glad the Sea Bands are working for you. They didn't do bupkiss for me last time around, but maybe I'll try them again.

Generally I can find things that help. Ginger is good. Cola syrup can help if you can stand the taste. And peppermint is helpful, too. Some people also find lemon helps, but that one doesn't work for me. Unfortunately, none of my old standbys are doing much for me right now.
#15 of 48 Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM

I had my first bit of nausea today. It sucked but I am so glad because it made me feel pregnant. Yippee!
#16 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, okay, they worked great right off the bat, then the effect sort of wore off as the day wore on.

Overall, they did work to LESSEN the nausea, but didn't kill it completely. I still couldn't prepare dinner. Ugh.

Didn't have hardly any sickness with DD... wonder if that means I'm carrying DS?

#17 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 01:25 AM

My homeopathic remedy works for about 1-2 hours then it's back to the horrible nausea. Sea bands haven't done anything for me for the last 4 pregnancies. Ginger tea - no dice. It tastes the same when it comes back up though. Peppermint - especially essential oil can actually aggravate nausea as I learned w/ DS. I'm a young living oil gal and tried it all. The di-tone will help if you can get past the smell.
Still working w/ my naturopath to find what will work this time. She thinks I should have done liver/gallbladder flushes ala "the amazing liver and gallbladder flush" a book that details how to clean out those organs before I got pregnant. Would have, but the pregnancy wasn't planned...

I read that grapefruit can help with nausea. Hasn't helped me yet. Anyone else tried it?

DH has been in charge of everything the last two weeks and he's sick of it. He can't believe the amount of cleaning that has to be done. I have two little hurricanes. And how many snacks and meals small children require. He's starting to get pissy about this m/s. He should be used to it by now. I read him some of these posts and I think it helped.
Nothing sounds good except cold red grapes. Too bad the store is closed...

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#18 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 07:55 AM

Sea bands have helped me with motion sickness, but I haven't had bad enough m/s with either pg to need them for m/s (yet. So far, if I eat a little bit all the time, I don't get too ill.)

You have to wear them in the right place. Try three finger widths up your wrist--a couple of inches higher than you would wear a bracelet. Can't hurt to try again, might help again!

--willo
#19 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 07:09 PM

I have been dealing with some serious nausea lately. I'm having trouble doing anything because I feel like I'm on the verge of getting sick all the time. I bought some fresh ginger today and I'm hoping to god that it works. I think I'm gonna go get some sea bands tonight. My MW gave me a recipie for a smoothie with ginger that is supposed to work well. I'm gonna give it a try. Gingerale hasn't done much for me so far.

I swore that I would never complan of morning sickness while going through months of TTC, but here I am. It's been hell. I just keep trying to remind myself that it's a great sign that the baby is healthy. I must have the healthiest baby in the world!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#20 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 PM

I had horrible, horrible hyperemisis with DS...I know I couldnt do it again, and have to look after someone besides myself. I spent countless days in the hospital getting hydrated. It sucks...Im so hoping this pg is different.

Anyways...has anyone tried this? I've been stocking up for sometime - a friend of mine who is pg with triplets swore by it. Im hoping I dont need it.
#21 of 48 Old 10-21-2006, 09:18 PM

I am not in your due date club, but thought I would throw this link out there in case it might help any of you. I had hyperemisis with my pregnancy and wished I knew about this website:

www.helpher.org Hopefully none of you will have hyperemisis, but they do have some suggestions that may help you with nausia.

Congratulations on your pregnancies and may the all-day-sickness be relieved soon. It SUCKS!

Healing Mama to :
#22 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 01:38 PM

The m/s has started earlier this time than the previous three PGcies. It actually started right around the time AF was due, but it's been very mild. But I'm already at the point that many other folks have mentioned - I need to eat alllll the time! Grrrr.

I used the Morning Sickness Magic during the last PGcy (which ended in m/c around 10-11 weeks) and I felt that it worked pretty well. My m/s with that PGcy was horrible, but I also feel that much of it was stress-related (totally unplanned PGcy, first year in school again, etc).

I never tried the sea-bands, but a classmate of mine used them and said that it helped take the edge off.

Jilian, could you share the ginger smoothie recipe? I HATE LOATHE DESPISE ginger - I had to choke down the MSMagic b/c it smelled and tasted like it - so I would love a way of getting it down without having to torture myself. Straws are great for getting things down without tasting them! Gingerale didn't work for me either, unless I got the "real" ginergerale from the co-op - but then it was so ginger-y I couldn't stand it!

I got so sick of peppermint (which used to be one of my favorite smells/tastes) during the last PGcy b/c I sucked down an entire bag of mints in a two week period. It took me months before I could tolerate the sight of a little peppermint!

Oh boy, really not looking forward to this part of things! I'd take L&D over this any day!
#23 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 02:55 PM

I have to keep at least something in my stomach at all times or I just feel icky and sour. The good news is (and it took me three weeks to figure this out) I really don't need to eat much at all. 1 grahm cracker, a tiny handful of nuts, half an apple. I'm hoping to keep the weight under control now that I know this.

But oh boy, are mornings nasty. I've always gotten up, showered, had breakfast, and headed off to work. Now, not a chance. I have to eat something the moment I wake up or I feel so miserable. It's tough though. I KNOW I'll feel better after I eat something, but it's so hard to take that first bite.
#24 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Anyone else getting the "extra saliva"/"metallic taste" in the mouth?

I didn't really have it with dd, but this time round my mouth feels both furry and metalic (like chewing on aluminum foil and a cotton ball at the same time). Which makes the thought of eating even less appealing. But if I don't eat I feel even worse. Bleh.

I lost 13 pound during the 1st trimester last time and while my weight is holding steady right now, that's probably due more to the fact that when I CAN eat, I'm eating junk. Ah well, as DH says, if it tastes good and stays down that's what counts during these m/s filled weeks.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#25 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Anyone else getting the "extra saliva"/"metallic taste" in the mouth?
Yes, Yes, YES!!! With all of my preg's I got this...apparently I got it super early this time as my first beta was only an 11.

And I knew I was going to mc the last one bc the taste went away.
#26 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alis View Post
Jilian, could you share the ginger smoothie recipe?
Sure, I haven't tried it yet, but my MW said even her kids like it.

1.5 cups diced pears
1/2 cup low fat peach yogurt
1/2 cup pear nectar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 to 5 ice cubes, crushed

Combine pears, peach yogurt, and pear nectar in blender. Add all the remaining ingredients and blen until smooth. Makes about 2.5 cups; serves 2.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#27 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM

Hmmm...actually, for the past few days I've been living on homemade strawberry "smoothie" (Dh calls it frozen yogurt since I've been making it really thick).

I fill most of the blender up with frozen strawberries, add about a cup and a half of plain low fat yogurt, and then a splash or three of lime seltzer. Blended into goo it is a bit thicker than a normal smoothie but the texture seems just right. And since it's just fruit and low fat yogurt it's actually pretty healthy!

The ginger smoothie sound yummy though...maybe I'll send DH to the store tonight to pick up some ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

#28 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 05:52 PM

Thanks, Jilian! That sounds pretty yummy, although I'll probably have to try it on a brave day! LOL Fresh ginger = <shudder> LOL But I know first-hand how well ginger works, so I'm definitely going to try it!
#29 of 48 Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM

i feel disgusting. i am not a puker (well only once so far) but i have puke rise in my throat a few times a day. i think i'm keeping it down with willpower. my stomach feels like it is in a knot right in my throat. i have a wierd taste in my mouth. it isn't like a metallic cottonball but it tastes like i am sick and nothing seems to get rid of it.

eating doesn't always make me feel better and sometimes it makes it worse. 2 days ago i hardly ate anything. yesterday i ate a lot. both days i felt like crap. just waves and waves of nausea. yet i still seem to be gaining weight already : i think that is more of a function of laying horizontal on the couch as much as possible rather than being up and moving around.

i had 2 days last weekend where i even forgot i was pregnant! i thought oh wow i'm over the hump. then this week got so bad again (nauseous migraine) i didn't even make it to work on friday. so much for being over the hump. i can't forget at ALL that i am pregnant right now.
#30 of 48 Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM

I haven't even been online much because I am so sick. The mornings are actually okay, but afternoon/evening - watch out! I finally gave in and started taking 1/2 a unisom in the evening and now I don't wake up at night wanting to vomit. There are a few things that help for a little bit, but I haven't found the "magic cure" yet. Cheerios and cold milk in the am, bananas, gatorade (water tastes yucky right now), lemon yogurt and altoids help. With my last pregnancy eating lots of protein helped, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything this time.

My dh has been helping a lot with cleaning out the fridge, taking out the trash etc. My children are getting used to me laying on the couch. I hope this ends soon!!!

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page