Hearing the heartbeat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the earliest you have heard the heartbeat with any previous pregnancies? Oh and are you fluffy?

I have my first appointment next Monday, I will be 9 weeks 3 days, and I'm not sure if I should let the doc try to find the HB or not. I have already seen it on the u/s. I have had 2 losses and know if she can't find it I will freak out, but it would be so reassuring if she did find it. I'm on the fluffy side so I think that it will be harder to find? I don't remember when we first heard it with DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 03:26 PM

Heyla mama!

I've heard that in fluffy mamas it's best to wait till after 10 weeks to try for the heartbeat using a doppler. And that after 12 weeks mama's general size/shape has no impact on hearing the heartbeat.

So 9 weeks might be on the early side, but not impossible. I know that doesn't really help you make your decision though...

With dd I saw the heartbeat on u/s at 6 weeks then heard the heartbeat at 10. With this pregnancy I had an u/s last week (because I'm spotting) and will hopefully hear the heartbeat at my next appointment (10 weeks again).

Oh! Doing a quick google search it seemes like a 2mH doppler can be more accurate for finding earlier fetal heart tones when mama is fluffy (most dopplers use a 3mH) so maybe ask your care provider what they think?

hugs and hopes for a healthy 9 months (to us both).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 PM

My MW said that she likes to wait until 11-12 weeks to listen for the heartbeat so she can be sure she'll hear it. My sister went in to hear her baby's heartbeat at a little over 10 weeks and they had a lot of trouble, she is a little fluffy to begin with so that may have had something to do with it.

I think that if not hearing the heartbeat will worry you then you should wait until your next appointment.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 PM

My first m/w appt is when I'm 10w3d, and we're going to try and hear the hb as well during that visit. I'm also a bit....fluffy. If we can't hear it, I'll go in for an u/s just to make sure everything's okay. I'm not terribly worried about it....it's on the early side, so if I don't hear anything, it doesn't automatically mean there's a problem.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM

i don't want any doppler or u/s so not sure when mw will be able to hear it with pinard.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM

I saw the h/b on U/S a week ago , and the tech said even though I'm quite thin, I may not be able to hear the h/b at the 11 wk appt., because my uterus is VERY tipped (retroverted) and the babe is right at the top of it.

So, if not at 11, we'll hope for the 15 week!

I was glad she told me that - it'll keep me from freaking out if the MW can't find it at first!

Christine

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Jennifer,
I don't have an answer to your question, but had to comment on your post. Fluffy is such a lovely word! I have this vision of you all luxurious like a soft persian cat! Good luck w/ whatever you choose about the HB--I know your fears as I had a m/c last time too. Meanwhile stay beautiful, oh fluffy one!
xo
Old 10-24-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
i don't want any doppler or u/s so not sure when mw will be able to hear it with pinard.
Pinard is similiar to fetoscope, correct? With a fetoscope it's around 20 weeks. I haven't decided if we'll do doppler this time either. I won't be meeting with my midwife until early second trimester and was hoping to feel movement before we listened to the heartbeat. We'll see, though.

With my son we heard it with doppler at 10w3d.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 PM

I heard the new baby's on U/S at 6 wks/2days. Here is something scary though.... I went in for a routine appt when carrying dd #2 at 18 weeks and my ob could not find her h/b with the doppler. I saw the look on his face. He turned very pale. He is a good friend of ours so there was some stress there! He sent me for an U/S and the H/B was there strong as ever. It was the longest time ever waiting for the tech and my ob to say "it's there!" My uterus is tilted but I am a waif (5'9" and 125 lbs)!!!! So no one knows why...Hmmmmmm. I don't need that scare again!!!! I told my mw and she said it was most likely my tilted uterus, but we won't be surprised if it happens again!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:27 AM

I get to wait until about 20 weeks as we don't do doppler or u/s either. We have a fetoscope at home and I gave my midwife a beautiful wooden pinard horn after the birth of our last babe which I'm dying to see in use. W/ DS it was closer to 24 weeks I think when we got a good heart tone. I can usually feel them move at about 12-14 weeks though, so I don't stress over the heart tones. I'm looking forward to laying in a deep tub with my head submerged and feeling baby move inside me. Just a few more weeks!!!!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 AM

With DD I think we heard the heartbeat around 11wks, I am not sure this time around as we using a a MW. I will find out in about a week and a half!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 PM

MamaV: Where did you get your fetoscope? I'm thinking of getting one.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
me too! my mw said somewhere around 20 weeks
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM

9 weeks is a bit early fluffy or not. I am fluffy and last pregnancy he could not find it on a doppler at 12 weeks so we did a quick U/S

This time..........well. we'll see. I go in on the 27th for my 12 week appointment.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 PM

We had a hard time finding the heartbeat when I was 11-12 weeks along with my second and I'm quite petite, but I had an anterior placenta which I guess muffles the sound and makes it harder to hear. I'm hoping to schedule my first appt around 10 weeks and will hope to hear the heartbeat then. Good luck with your decision.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Old 10-27-2006, 10:24 PM

I just got back from the midwives office and I am 11w4d. COuld not find heartbeat but we pulled in the U/S machine and got a nice shot of baby kicking away!

User Tag List