what's everyone craving? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 11-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on my 3rd box (5lbs each) of clementines.

I wish I knew how to make my own sushi! I can't afford take-out nearly as often as I'd like!

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#62 of 71 Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Mamallama, sushi is really easy to make. Here's the recipe I use:

Simple sushi rolls

Makes 4 futomaki (fat sushi rolls).

4 cups sushi rice (cooked and seasoned with Sushi-zu which you can buy in a bottle at the grocery store)
4 sheets nori (seaweed)
Whatever sushi filling you like
Bamboo mat
Sushi condiments (soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger)

1. Place a nori sheet on top of a bamboo rolling mat.
2. Spread sushi rice in a thin layer on top of the nori sheet, but leave the top inch uncovered.
3. Place sushi filling in a horizontal line about 3/4" from the bottom of the rice covered nori sheet.
4. Roll the bamboo mat to form sushi into a cylinder.
5. Press the mat firmly to seal the sushi and remove roll from mat.
6. Cut roll into slices of desired thickness. Coat knife blade with sushi-zu when slicing to prevent sticking.
7. Repeat 3 times.

If you prefer nigiri sushi, just roll the rice into a tight ball and shape as you would like it, then place the topping of choice over the ball. If you like you can secure the topping to the rice with a thin strip of nori. Just cut the nori with scissors and wet the ends so they'll stick together nicely.
#63 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 12:30 AM

Wow, that seems pretty easy.

My regular grocery doesn't carry nori, but I'll be near Trader Joe's tomorrow. I haven't been particularly inspired in the kitchen lately...I'm glad to have a project I'm excited about!

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#64 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 AM

this may sound like a bad idea and a bit crazy.... but the Walmart near my house carries nori!!!
#65 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 09:17 AM

Walmart nori, not something I ever would have expected....

For me, grapefruits have been the most wonderful thing in the world. I could eat them all day long! Unfortunately, grapefruit juice has been responsible for the only time I've thrown up during this pregnancy, so I guess I'll have to stick to the whole fruit for a while longer.
#66 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

ooh yummy, i never even thought about grapefruit! it sounds delicious,guess i'll be sending hubby out to the store...again!
btw, is it just me being rotten or does anybody else send their dh out and about for stuff they could really live without just because you know you can get away with it?hehe!!
#67 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Chicken noodle soup (Wolfgang Puck organic canned soup, available from Whole Foods, is my favorite.)

Actually, early on, it was tomato soup. Also miso soup. Then the chicken noodle craving.

My acupuncturist is really encouraging me to eat hot foods, not cold foods. I guess that's encouraged for pg in the Chinese medical tradition. It's nice when what I want is what SOMEONE says is good for me.

I find that soup is enough to keep me from feeling queasy, but doesn't give me gas <sigh> or that bloated feeling that some other foods lead to. I'm happy, because in normal life, I find soup not filling enough most of the time.

--willo
#68 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
I am on my 3rd box (5lbs each) of clementines.
Oh me too! I keep telling my husband that I may have NO nutriets left in my body bewteen nursing, pregnancy and my lack of ability to eat anything, but at least I won't get scurvy.

What I find is that I'll suddenly have a flash in my head of something that I thing sounds AMAZING (the other day english muffin pizzas were it) so I'll get the stuff to make whatever it is and then by the time it is ready it tastes awful... partly becasue everything I eat (except celementines this week) tastes awful and partly becasue I have built it up to taste so amazing there is no chance I'll be satisifed. Can't wait to want to eat everything and think it tastes delicious!

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#69 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 01:49 PM

I've been eating anything citrus-it sounds good all day long! And the other night I wanted jalepenos on my sandwich-normally I can't stand them. DH was so excited since he loves peppers and I normally don't use them if I am cooking!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#70 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM

yesterday was the first day in a long time i didn't feel totally vile and then all last night i dreamt about food. well, food and cats that kept attacking my arm.

i woke up wanting baked potatoes and tortellini. time to run to the store!
#71 of 71 Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM

Peanut butter and honey. On toast, on crackers, on graham crackers, on a spoon....

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page