miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this may be a stupid question but how would you know if you definately had miscarried? I mean without having an ultrasound or anything. i am not scheduled to meet with my midwife for another two weeks. when i called her the other day to let her know i was bleeding she said to wait and see how things went. It has been about six days and the bleed has stopped. Not knowing is sort of driving me insane...but i was putting off going to the emergency room for an ultrasound.
#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 AM

i have wondered this as well. ie, how long would it have to be before a pregnancy test showed a negative etc..

wish i had an answer for you but i am interested to see what people say..

wishing you sticky dust and luck though..
#3 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM

I am not sure either. She will not see you even if you are concerned? I hope everything turns out ok!
#4 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

she would see me but currently we are about four hours away from the midwife. i am planning on seeing here when i go home for thanksgiving. i guess this is the problem with having a midwife in another state...silly me.
#5 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 03:07 PM

I had a mc at 7 weeks, and again at 6 weeks. With both of them I had negative preg. test about a week after the bleeding started. But they were always kind of week positives to begin with. And when I started bleeding I just had a feeling that things were not working right and that it was a mc. But it never hurts to double check with a doc. I did the first time but not the second time. We don't have the best health care and sometimes its better to stay far, far away! But if your midwife is out of town, and you're comfortable with waiting to see her thats ok too I think. I'd just watch for anything weird like heavy bleeding, cramping, fever. Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 PM

When I had a mc at 8 weeks I was told that a pregnancy test might show a false positive for 4-6 weeks after the m/c ended.

Keep an eye out for fever or sever cramping, but the bleeding you had might be something to keep in mind. Did you pass tissue and clots? (sorry if that's TMI, but there it is). Or was it just blood? And if it was blood, was it enough to soak through a pad every few hours or just a little blood on your underwear or toilet tissue? A lot of blood, or blood with clots could be a mc. And a fever or other "flu-like" symptoms a sign that not everything was passed and you may need medical attention (to prevent infection).

But bleeding by itself doesn't always mean an mc and if you are comfortable waiting to see your midwife then just be gentle with yourself and don't assume the worst! But if it's driving you totally crazy and you can't relax, then perhaps a hospital visit would help.

I hope everything works out okay for you and the little one...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 7 Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 AM

I agree with pp who said it is fine to wait if you are relaxed, but also fine if you feel like you need to get checked out.

I had some bleeding at 6 weeks and felt awful and was VERY anxious. My midwife saw me the next day, did quantitative blood tests, and got me an ultrasound the day after that. I was tremendously relieved to see that heartbeat in the normal range and get good quant results.

It turns out I was fighting off a cold (or something--elevated white blood count) that just happened to coincide with the bleeding. That's why I felt SO awful.

I don't think I would've had a moment of peace until I heard that heartbeat in December if I hadn't gone in. I'm not a proponent of medicalized birth, but, when you get that worried, it is a tremendous blessing to have the option for reassurance!

Perhaps there is someone you could see locally just this once? Or perhaps you are much more mellow in temperament than I was!

Good luck to you and your babe.

--willo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page