names?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it too early for this thread...or are we all thinking about names already??

my husband doesn't like talking about names "yet" (which he says until the last few weeks of pregnancy and then expects equal veto power!). but the other day i got him to admit that he really likes a name. he usually says something like "well, i don't hate it." so we both like Soleil Elizabeth for a girl- and i think this baby is a girl. and i like Phoenix for a boy, but there's a town near us called Phoenix and his response to the name was "well, it's a really great name- it's too bad we can't use it" because of the town. well, it would be too easy if both the boy and girl names were wrapped up so early, i guess!

i'm already making up very premature lists, like for my baby shower, and things i need to get before the baby comes...but with my 4th baby, it's not like i'm reading about pregnancy and birth anymore, so i have to do something!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 AM

My dh and I were actually going through names lastnight. But I think we are still sticking with the names we have had in our heads since our last baby was born. For a boy, Dylan Jacob. For a girl, Dakota Lila. But who knows. It is still very early.
#3 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM

my dh and i have had names for weeks! glad we're not the only ones jumping on the early train!anyway,christyana lynn for a girl and christopher jack for a boy. my dh just had to get jack in there somewhere...he thinks it's a manly name.um o.k.
#4 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 AM

We've settled on a boy name: Owen but we're still working on a girl name. I REALLY like the name Shiloh and so does DP but he doesn't want to use it now that Angelina and Brad used it, he thinks it's gonna be the fad name of the year. I really don't want a name that is super-popular but I really like that name. So our girl name is still in negotiation.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#5 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 AM

no such luck this side, dh will not even think about names until after he has seen the baby as he thinks the baby has to suit the name. My dd was namelss for 2 weeks! He will not even think of a short list
#6 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM

DH and I are *not* good at this, so we really need to get started on a list soon. We are still considering our boy name from last time (Emmett) and if it's a boy the middle name will definitely be Judson because of family tradition. But we really should have at least a couple other boy names under consideration, and we have *nothing* yet for a girl. Ugh!
#7 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM

We talked about names before we were even married....and we waited to have our first child until we had been married 4 years!

We come up with lists....but never make a final decision until baby is born and we can tell for certain if that name really fits.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#8 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM

We haven't even talked about it. With our son it was a battle, so I think we're avoiding the conversation unconciously. lol
#9 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM

We've discussed at length and have a couple in mind. However, we always keep the name possabilities a secret. We don't make final decision until we've met our baby and held her/him. It usually takes us two days after meeting our little one to find the right name from the list. Our list consists of 40 girls names and 40 boys names. I love the naming part! Right now the kids call the baby Sally. Wonder if the 5 yo old knows something I don't about the gender....

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#10 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 02:28 PM

We've been discussing this a lot too and have a good list of boys names. We've settled on a girl's name. But we too have decided to keep our name choices a secret. Right now we call the baby Roo.

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#11 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM

I think we've settled on names. Heidi for a girl & Duncan for a boy.

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#12 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaV View Post
Right now the kids call the baby Sally.
he he he... my daughters favourtie doll is "Baby Sally"

With ou=r first baby we could NOT agree on a name to save our lives!!!!!! Now all of sudden we both agree on tons!!

Some one mentioned not wanting super trendy names and I'm with you there but for some reason they are all the names I like

Anyone have some insight as to being one of 4 girls with the same name when you were in school? DP's name is Krestof (nick name Krest...only one lol) and I'm Jamie and never dealt with other Jamies in school... so we were wondering what's it like to be "Eric" and have Eric R. and Eric M. sitting in the row behind you?

OK... so my girl names at the head of the list are Sadie, Sophie and Lenore(nickname Nora). and Boys are Oscar and Simon... You think I could get away with naming a kid Oscar??? I LOVE it! My mom hates it and said she'd (and every one else) will call him Oscar the grouch... I know he's bound to run into it but do you guys think it's mean to name your kid Oscar???
#13 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM

LOVE the name Oscar and don't think it would be mean at all!

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#14 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM

We know an Oscar. He is three. It fits him (and he is not a grouch).

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#15 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM

We also waited until DS was born to select which name he would get (I'm the one who insisted we wait), but we did narrow it down to about a dozen each for boys' and girls' names.

I'm also one who wants to avoid "popular" names, but I read an article recently that explains that the quantity of the most popular names today is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the number of girls with a popular name 20+ years ago. Many more people like "unusual" names now, so there are more names from which parents choose.

For what it's worth, our name choices (which I prefer to keep secret) tend to be more traditional/simple/popular names for boys, and more unique names for girls. I read a study (from northern Europe--Sweden?) where kids were asked why they like their names. Boys liked their names if "other people know how to spell them"; girls liked their names because they were special and uniquely their own.

--willo
#16 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
Boys liked their names if "other people know how to spell them"; girls liked their names because they were special and uniquely their own.
Awwww... how cute!

I forgot to mention this... it made me giggle... Last Monday I ran into a friend of mine from highschool and he introduced me to his girlfriend and told me they were having a baby! Of course I congratulated them and then he asked me if I had picked names yet... "Oh no!" I laughed... he said

"Oh we did! Elijiah for a boy or Haley for a girl!" I told him those were very sweet names and asked when they were due.

"OH we dont know, we only found out about the pregnancy 3 days ago."

WHAT??????!?!?!? LOL I'm lucky DP and I can agree on a name after 9months!!!
#17 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We haven't really discussed it....except that if it is a boy, it will be named Mason. My ds told me about a year ago that I was going to have a baby boy named Mason next. We don't know any Masons and neither does ds...so we thought it was...I don't know...special that ds would name his brother before he was even conceived. For a girl....if it's a girl, we'll probably be arguing in the hospital over names like last time!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#18 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 PM

I know a 3yo named Oscar too. I adore him, and I think it's a great name!

We're keeping our favorite names under wraps. I encountered some negativity when I shared my favorites for each of our dd's. We gave them the names anyway, and now when I see those people I sometimes remember their less-than-favorable opinions. I'd rather not have the memory of my aunt mocking my 5yo's name

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#19 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

i like sharing name ideas with other moms who are pregnant, because we are much more likely to be a sensitive group and not react negatively. sharing names with family is awful!! i frequently get "well, THAT'S not a name!" i want to have an idea of what names are circulating. like with my daughter, we were going to name her Rowan, and then within weeks before her birth several Rowans popped up (including Brooke Shields' daughter!), and after we chose a different name for her, we found out about more of them. I'm glad she won't have to be one of several Rowans in school! Like with the Sara's and Katie's and Jenny's from years past, now in my son's class there is a "Liam D." and a "Liam K."- and everyone calls them that all the time.

i like Oscar! it's a very strong, scandinavian name. and it's not too popular- nice. Simon was a big contender for us last time- we thought that maybe naming a child Simon, which means "good listener", might bode well for our parent-child interactions!

Sadie was my sister's nickname (her name is Sara) when she was little. my mom still calls her that sometimes. but she's glad to have Sara now that she's a grown woman.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM

I really like Rowan too!!! i know what you mean though about people suddenly coming out with names you like!

We named our daughter Ellya (Ell-yuh) knowing full well that some day she will develop the nicknames Elly or Elle (and being ok with that)... but then suddenly Ella was in the top of the baby name list AND not long ago I saw a "Design on a Dime" episode where they did a nursery remake for 9 month old BABY ELLYA! (same pronounciation tooooooo) We were/are a bit bummed that our daughters unique name is now super popular.

ONE LAST comment on unique names... It's at least comforting to know that little kids are not phased in the least by having friends, or meeting some one new with a unique name... they dont know that Sharoonkabob isn't an average name... they learn the name and accept it, same as they would Abby or Kelly.

Any ideas for a middle name for Oscar?
#21 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 PM

We had a long discussion (as in, several months long) when I was pregnant
with dd and it really helped once we knew the baby's sex. We were able to focus much more closely on girl names and avoid the "boy name fight" we'd been having (and are having again).

In DH's family the "traditional" name for the first boy in any family is SALVATORE. And since we already have a long, hyphenated, last name I just can't see naming an itty bitty teeny tiny babe Salvatore on top of everything else. Especially since he'll be surrounded with uncles, cousins, grandfathers, random male relatives of all sorts with the same exact name.

My DH actually has Salvatore as his middle name (his mother was Irish and
only lasted a year or so in their huge Italian family since she was and is
something of a rebel and wasn't about to let anyone tell her what to name
her son) so he's agreed to that at least. So if it's a boy we're thinking a short first name, like OWEN or AIDAN (DH is an Irish citizen through his mom, and we're both half Irish/half Italians) paired up with Salvatore.

If it's another girl (my hope!) we'd like to name her SOPHIA TAMAR. My mom's favorite aunt was named Josephine and while that's a bit too long for us, we thought Sophia would be a nice adaptation. And Tamar has a prertty sound and is a bit less common.

We try to balance a more traditional name with a more unusual name since that gives the little one more of a choice as they get older and their personalities develop. We live in a very "crunchy" area and I grew up with a lot of kids who wound up hating their names since people assumed a lot of things based on those names (apparently applying to college or trying to get a job in a more conservative field wasn't really helped by a name like "MorningJoy" or "Summer Sea"...and a close friend named Faire actually changed his name legally when he hit 18) so I do want to give my little ones options.

DD1 is named LAIA ANNE...again, short names to balance the big long last name, one common name and one a little more unusual, and Anne honors relatives on all sides of the family (and it's with an "e" ).

Of course, it took a good month before the name sounded like her, but now I can't imagine her with any other name.

edited to add- we didn't tell any family or friends dd's name till AFTER she was born (even though we'd picked it long before that) since we didn't want to deal with any negative comments. It was a really hard secret to keep but worth it in the end!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#22 of 65 Old 11-28-2006, 09:57 PM

We have had a list since before we got pg. Right now, the ones at the top are:
Michaela Annette
Gabriel Ryan

I like names that other people can say and spell. Our last name is short but is not spelled like it sounds. People always have issues with it. Here are some others I really like:

Caroline
Kyra
Brielle
Rebecca
Keira
Adele
Johanna
Jennaya

Isaac
Levi (I'd call him Lee b/c I love that name for some reason)
#23 of 65 Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM

We are stuck on the name thing- I had liked Rowan for a boy, but after hearing of so many girls with that name can't do it. Also, I like Ian, but dh prefers Ean (same pronounciation), but after reading the above post about boys liking names people can spell, I wonder if it would really annoy the child to have the less common spelling of Ean? I was ready to give on that one. I'd really like a short name that is a pretty, but its hard.

With dd we agreed on the first name quickly and spent months hunting for the right middle name, settled on: Mya Rhiannon.

For a girl I like Lea Rose now, but dh dislikes Rose. I might wait until after labor, I get a trump card on the name after that- LOL

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#24 of 65 Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM

my Nieces name is Rhiannon Aurora.... but they call her Rhi Rhi...
#25 of 65 Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post
We haven't really discussed it....except that if it is a boy, it will be named Mason. My ds told me about a year ago that I was going to have a baby boy named Mason next. We don't know any Masons and neither does ds...so we thought it was...I don't know...special that ds would name his brother before he was even conceived. For a girl....if it's a girl, we'll probably be arguing in the hospital over names like last time!!!
My dd2 is Mason Autumn, dd1 Riley Marie and ds is Taite Crawford. We also like a different name and a more traditional name. They also need to be 5 letters, so we can sing their name in the BINGO song, I just started doing it w/ Ri and it's been one of my *things* since. It also helps to narrow down the choices All of my dc have been named by the time I was 5 mo along. R & M just came to me very early on and dh and I turned T over in our heads for a while.

This time we're thinking Thaer or Boone if we hold to the androgynous trend, possibly Silas or Zafia (both family names) if we go gender specific.
#26 of 65 Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 PM

I've always loved the name LINNEA but it's too close to Laia. And I love HYPATIA (I'm a librarian and a pagan and, well...Hypatia of Alexandria is a hera of mine), but apparently Hypatia is also the name of some really well know adult movie actress and DH nixed it right off the bat.

I wish we had a shorter last name though...I'm a real Welsh language junkie and have a dozen or three names I'd love to use. Of course, the poor babe would never have their name spelled/pronounced correctly, so maybe it's better to stick to the short and sweet anyway.

Oh, and for boys I like the name Morgan. But it's sort of turned into a girls name and again, DH wasn't that fond of it.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#27 of 65 Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 PM

Wombat... my little niece that they named Rhiannon was very nearly born on Oct 31st... had she been they were going to name her Samhain... talk about people never pronouncing a name right!
#28 of 65 Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 AM

Okay, we're really just getting started here, but for a boy we're considering the following. The middle name for all would be Judson:
Graham
Emmett
Matthias (pronounced with a hard "t" sound)
Spencer

For a girl, we have:
Davina Quinn
Cecilia Avery
Laurel Quinn
Rowan Avery

I really liked Bernadette for a girl, but DH hates it, so I'm trying to let it go. He's probably right, anyhow.

Our last name is very short, simple, and even a little abrupt sounding, so it needs a more interesting name to go before it, IMO. I'm sure the list will get much longer before it gets shorter, but I just thought I'd toss these out for comment. Anyone have opinions? (Don't feel that you have to tread too lightly, here, I'm not terribly sensitive on this topic.)
#29 of 65 Old 11-30-2006, 12:16 AM

I post waaaaaay to much...

I like your boy names.... I really like Emmett espesially... is Matthias pronounced (Matt-Hi-as)? if so I like it but be prepared for people to call him Matt.

and your girl names I like the last two the best, Laurel Quinn and Rowan Avery

also... where abouts in the hudson valley are you? I'm in Schenectady
#30 of 65 Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 AM

Coral (girl name)

Our last name is Najd(no I am not afraid to share this) So I would like a longer middle name. any ideas?

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page