Who's bought baby gear already? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-20-2006, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
Well, I'm glad I kept it all because we got pregnant again three months later. This time, however, I'm really superstitious and won't buy anything for the baby myself (we have received a few gifts). Well, I guess I'll have to get over it sometime before the baby is born, but for now, NOTHING, NOTHING.
These kind of superstitions are the reason Jewish people don't do baby showers. (Some people think it is a religious thing, but it is purely cultural and based upon a superstition from the "old days".) But Jewish people, as a rule, do not have showers and don't bring any baby items home until AFTER the baby is born.

I'm not a born Jew, so I'm not sure how people handle it. I would suspect that one's relatives might make a little stockpile and just bring it right after the birth.

I think you could certainly survive having bought literally nothing before the birth. It just means you will be likely to need to go out when perhaps you would rather stay in and bond with your little one.

Some people really never feel a need for anything. I'm afraid I found I wanted/"needed" several things right after DS's birth. Most especially a Snuggle Nest co-sleeper (fits between the adult pillows) as we just were NOT comfortable with DS between us in bed without some kind of "protection".

I imagine most Americans will want some "things" for their babies. We do tend to be pretty into "stuff".

--willo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM

i haven't bought a single thing for new baby but i have a basement full of baby stuff. yesterday i was in a gymboree outlet and i carried around the cutest little teeeeeeny yellow outfit with sock monkeys on it. it was the 'up to 7 lbs' size and i was thinking 'coming home from the hospital outfit.' totally unisex and adorable. and then i put it back and realized my chances of an 'up to 7lbs' baby are pretty slim and somehow the 0-3 month one was sooo much bigger. i still might get it but i refrained for the moment i'm superstitious too. i didn't buy anything for baby #1 until i was well into the pregnancy. i'm starting to feel like i could buy something for #2 now.
#33 of 48 Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM

I haven't bought anything yet...mostly because I don't have any place to PUT baby stuff..so that helps me not to buy stuff.

My MIL, on the other hand has bought a TON of stuff. This is my first, and her first grandbaby...so, she is VERY exicted. She bought me a Maya Wrap for Christmas (bless her!) and a little stuffed giraffe that I saw at Babies R Us and just loved. It's still in the bag, cause I have no place for it!! My DH and I found a chifferobe that we want to buy to keep baby stuff in, so once I get that (March-ish) I'll probably go crazy. Since it's our first, we don't have ANYTHING that we need, although, I'm a minimilist at heart, so I'll only get the nessecities. I can't wait to buy cloth diapers though =)

Oh, if you count the new washer as baby gear, then guilty. We upgraded from our old used one so we would be prepared for cloth diapers last night.Yay for the new washer (that even MATCHES the dryer, how cool is that??) =)
#34 of 48 Old 12-22-2006, 08:48 PM

I gave in...I was shopping our local second hand shop for maternity pants and found a pair of itty bitty teeny tiny wont fit more than a week slippers that look like little teddy bears. Very soft, with little brown ears and a soft pink nose.

Not that a June babe really needs slippers, but maybe for coming home from the hospital? They were just too cute and only 50 cents so...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#35 of 48 Old 12-26-2006, 09:00 PM

SO it may have begun with slippers....but the holiday gift cards combined with Boxing Day sales has upped the baby-purchase ante.

We went to Target and bought a new Car Seat. DD will move from her Britax Marathon into the seat we just bought (it has a slightly higher rear facing weight limit, and forward facing it's good to 100 pounds so it should hold her for a while!). We already have a "baby bucket" for the first few months and then the new babe can move into the Marathon and be good for a couple of years. Huzzah! Major headache out of the way...

And dd helped pick out a pack n' play for the new babe (classic pooh, but only on the edge...for the most part it's green). With dd, we would put her down on a yoga mat or blanket to nap on the floor during the day. Since obviousl it wouldn't be a good idea to put the babe on the floor with a bouncy toddler, we figured we needed some sort of "toddler proof baby sleep nest" and the pack n' play was on clearance. Since it has a changing pad built in we don't need to convert dd's old changing table (the under 20 dollar IKEA version) back...since it's doing a wonderful job holding books and toys right now! I;m kind of embarrassed to own a pack n' play (it seems so anti-AP) but I honestly think it'll keep dd from "sharing" her toys with the babe's head during nap time!

But I think that just about does it for purchases. Once we know if it's a boy or girl (if they decide to let us know) then I might pick up a few onsies from the second hand shop (we have a wonderful mama-run thrift store called "Mama Goose" just a block away)...but we have the co-sleeper, baby bucket, all sorts of slings, toys, even a baby "rocker" that dd loved till she outgrew it. So I think we're set!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#36 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are all making me feel much better! We just purchased two new careats outselves - Sunshine Radian. We are trying to avoid what would be the biggest new baby purchase of all - a new car - by seeing if we can cram three carseats into our Subaru wagon. A big challenge indeed, but we'll see if two Radians (supposedly the narrowest seats out there) can do the job...

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#37 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM

I bought a curtain! (Clover Fields by Kidsline)

hehe
#38 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 AM

I have 30 NB diapers I had picked up for cheap last summer, I bought a mini co-sleeper for my husband to use with the baby and I also got a Bumbo.

Waiting till the 17th to see if I need more blue or if pink will be the color of choice!
#39 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
I have 30 NB diapers I had picked up for cheap last summer, I bought a mini co-sleeper for my husband to use with the baby and I also got a Bumbo.

Waiting till the 17th to see if I need more blue or if pink will be the color of choice!
30!!!! Wow...that is a lot, no? I only have 15, and I was thinking that would be enough...hmmm...I guess I can't really remember how often newborn dipes need to be changed!

Well, is this little guy/gal uses more than 15 diapers before I can get things washed s/he'll be in small prefolds, because I'm not buying any more fitteds! This will be, in fact, the very first time that I have ever used a fitted if you can believe...

#40 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
30!!!! Wow...that is a lot, no? I only have 15, and I was thinking that would be enough...hmmm...I guess I can't really remember how often newborn dipes need to be changed!

Well, is this little guy/gal uses more than 15 diapers before I can get things washed s/he'll be in small prefolds, because I'm not buying any more fitteds! This will be, in fact, the very first time that I have ever used a fitted if you can believe...

I was thinking I need at least 15 more I remember changing Noah like every hour when he was a NB! LOL If I could figure out a PF I would so be on that wagon!
#41 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 05:52 AM

I have begun looking into diapers and it looks like the ideal number would be between 2-3 dz depending on how much laundry you are going to do. I know I am going to be pretty tired at first so 3 dz for me!

Has anyone found a good cosleeper? I am not going to have a ton of money at first so those nice $200-300 ones are almost out of the question .
#42 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Has anyone found a good cosleeper? I am not going to have a ton of money at first so those nice $200-300 ones are almost out of the question .
I used the Snuggle Nest that sits between the two adults' pillows. Our room is small but we do have a king sized bed, and this worked pretty well for us. It is much cheaper than the next-to-the-bed ones, but you must have room in your bed for it!

I've seen the newer ones now have a small nightlight built into the top of the nest--I think that would've made mine perfect! I used a little booklight to help me get him latched on when he was tiny.

If you haven't seen these, they are about a foot (or 15 inches?) wide and maybe 2.5 feet long. There is a small "wall" around the top sides and top that will keep your pillow from sliding onto baby. The bottom sides and bottom are open. The sides are something firm (plastic?) covered with a lightly padded fabric. There is a fabric base, plus a small waterproof mattress that comes with a specially-sized "fitted sheet" (more like a pillowcase--it slips over the whole mattress.)

Baby sleeps with his/her head up in the "walled" area. When you want to nurse, you just slide baby down about 8 inches to the open bottom area and can nurse with him/her still on the pad.

--willo
#43 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 PM

I haven't counted all my diapers, but I'm guessing that if you count the preemie and infant prefolds I have close to 60 : I have 1 dozen preemie and 2 dozen infant. I also have a dozen kissaluvs then a bunch more assorted diapers. I never got to CD a newborn but I remember my own son pooping 8 times a day for the first few days He also had some wet diapers in there so I could easily go through 15 diapers in one day. I like to only have to wash every other day.

I also got a carseat, actually DP's mom paid for it. I won it from e-bay and it's brand new. The bidding closed on Christmas day so I don't think many people were bidding. It's a Combi Connection (bucket seat). We were gonna go right for the Britax Boulevard but I saw a picture of a NB in one (here in the parenting forum) and the baby looked lost in the seat. So we opted for the bucket to start with.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#44 of 48 Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM

You can sometimes find co-sleepers and cloth diapers through Freecycle...I know my town is a bit more alternative than most, but I often see CD offered on the list and the one time I requested CD I got probably 20 or so. We drifted into 'sposies, but it was wonderful while it lasted.

We'll be getting our mini-cosleeper back from a friend (we got it for dd but it's made the rounds of friends and family) and will hopk that up for the first few weeks while we work out where/how everyone will be sleeping. I'm actually thinking that the babe and I will be in the guest room for the first week or two while DH and DD keep the family bed. I just remember being up every hour or two with dd (nursing, walking, changing diapers, wiping up urp, etc) and I'm afraid that might wake dd...leading to the dreaded "no sleep".

But the snuggle nest option is one I really liked too!

But when cost is an issue (is it never "not" an issue?) always check Freecycle...you never know!

#45 of 48 Old 01-02-2007, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Freecycle is great! I've never seen cloth diapers on there though, although I can't really keep up with checking it very often.

Okay, so clearly 15 newborn diapers isn't going to cut it. Oh well. I do have 2-3 dozen small prefolds, but I just remember both ds and dd looking so lost in them the first few weeks. I could barely snappi them, but if I didn't snappi them they leaked out the sides...sigh. We'll see how motivated I am to do laundry every day!

#46 of 48 Old 01-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
Okay, so clearly 15 newborn diapers isn't going to cut it. Oh well. I do have 2-3 dozen small prefolds, but I just remember both ds and dd looking so lost in them the first few weeks. I could barely snappi them, but if I didn't snappi them they leaked out the sides...sigh. We'll see how motivated I am to do laundry every day!
I also found, with DS, that I was surprised by which diapers I liked and which didn't work out so well. You might just want to allow for buying another dozen or so after the first couple of days when you see how your baby is shaped! I'm glad I tried so many types with DS. I really felt like I experience a huge variety and found the best fit/comfort product for my son. (Plus they can be so cute. )

Then again, prefolds are so cheap, if you want to stock up, that is the economical way to do it. My OCD, cleaning fanatic mother convinced me to buy something like 2-3 dozen Infant and 5-6 dozen Regular prefolds. As it turned out, prefolds (we used a Snappi) were great--until he got wiggly and impatient around age 6 months! So I will have cleaning rags for my next 20 years, I think. But I just use prefolds for burp cloths and as an extra layer of cloth on the changing pad and under the baby in my bed... I find them VERY useful for non-diapering things.

--willo
#47 of 48 Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM

I was just assessing my diaper stock yesterday and decided I needed to start looking for more. Then today I found a dozen wonderoos and a dozen infant prefolds in great shape at our kids' consignment shop- yeah! so now i have 2 dozen wonderoos. i don't remember this very well! do i need more?? i will order more diapers when time gets closer. i wanted organic prefolds but they are SOOOO expensive, geez, forget it!

i also bought a pink Hanna shirt, it was so simple and cute. well, someone will have a girl if i don't, right?

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#48 of 48 Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 PM

I can't wait till I find out what we are having then I am going on a shopping spree for baby stuff at the resale store here in town!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page