Who's bought baby gear already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because I have . I'm feeling a little silly about it too because this is our third for goodness sakes and we already have a ton of baby stuff. And I'm only 15 weeks along. Nonetheless, I have bought:

15 kissuluvs size 0 diapers
1 Kozy carrier
1 Moby Wrap

They are all from the Trading Post so that's better, right? Right?

Dh just rolled his eyes when he saw the third package sitting on the counter...

That's all I'm buying though, I swear!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#2 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM

I've bought so many diapers it isn't even funny. I didn't start using cloth on DS until he was 4 mos so I have no NB stash. I also scored a really nice Mei Tei on the TP for a great price, I couldn't resist it. And I bought a cute onesie at Target the other day with a picture of the earth on it, it says "Hi, I'm new here". I fell in love with it and had to buy it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM

I haven't really bought anything yet....but I've been looking....which is so silly. This is our third baby. Besides slings (and Mei Tai/ERGO in older years), we don't really use baby gear. Ds just switched to a Britax Regent and his old car seat still has years left. I have plenty of small diapers but need to replace some of our mediums.

And yet...I have been looking at a new high chair that straps into a regular chair to save space....even though the only time we have used ours was when baby fell asleep and I was trying to cook and then as a higher chair until they swicthed to a booster seat.

I've planned to get another boppy (or make one) for downstairs.

I'm waiting to buy cute little Summer onesies in little sizes until the baby is born and we know boy or girl. I will probably pick up a couple of gender neutral ones.

I'm about to add nursing necklaces to my home biz, so I'm sure I will make some for myself (and will test with dd).

I just feel the need to do something!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#4 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I've bought so many diapers it isn't even funny. I didn't start using cloth on DS until he was 4 mos so I have no NB stash. I also scored a really nice Mei Tei on the TP for a great price, I couldn't resist it. And I bought a cute onesie at Target the other day with a picture of the earth on it, it says "Hi, I'm new here". I fell in love with it and had to buy it.
Same here no, new born stash! I didn't start cloth with DD until she was 4 months. I bought a couple NB diapers.

I bought some onesie's and a onesie and sleeper for Halloween There on clearance!!:
#5 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM

I also want to buy a sling but the options are endless!!!!!!:
#6 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamin View Post
I also want to buy a sling but the options are endless!!!!!!:
No doubt - it's the baby carriers that get me every time! Why am I never satisfied with what I have used before? Were does this irresistable urge to buy new baby carriers come from?!?!?!

I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers...

#7 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM

I know I'll only need it occasionally, but I found a great deal on a used double stroller on ebay so I snapped that up. Otherwise, I've not bought anything new.... yet
#8 of 48 Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 PM

I bought a few (maybe 4) items of baby girl stuff on clearance as soon as I found out I was pg. I'm hoping for a girl to "complete" our family, and summer stuff was deeply discounted, so I just went for it. If I don't need it, I'm sure I'll need a baby gift someday.

I'm working on my mom getting any relatives/friends who want to buy us stuff this time to pool together to get me the double stroller of my dreams ($$$). Aside from that, all I think we'll need is a new carseat (and I'm hoping to borrow a baby bucket for the first 6 months) and a new crib mattress since Mom found a porta-crib that will fit our bedroom for those early months, just in case this child is willing to sleep outside of my bed. (I hope so. I don't co-sleep well with DH, let alone DS or anyone else. <sigh>)

--willo
#9 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 AM

I haven't bought a thing!
#10 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 PM
tls

I haven't bought anything either. I keep thinking I have all my stuff left over from the other 2 kids. However, when I went to look for maternity clothes I had forgotten I gave most of them away. I think I did that with a lot of my baby stuff too, SIGH. I'm not too worried though. I'll probably need a car seat, but I think we can get by with what we do have and what people give us as hand me downs. I know, however, when we get closer to birthing time I'll probably go nuts. Cute baby stuff is sooooo hard to resist.
#11 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Ah, it's the baby carriers that get me as well! I actually just bought a didymos indio wrap that was very discounted. I figured we won't be replacing our stroller that has bit the dust so the wrap is a good investment I'd like to try to make a mei tai and a stretchy wrap. I think I've spent my carrier allowance already so I need to break out the sewing machine if I want anything else!

I know I will need a new carseat for the new baby - all of ours are way over 6years old. And, because my sister is due 2 months before me, I need to go through our baby clothes and see what is actually mine. We have shared everything for our other (collective) five children so I can't even remember what I bought! I will probably buy some little t-shirts and pull on pants, and I need a few newborn diaper covers and a few new snappis.

Other than all of that I think I may be set!

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#12 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM
pjs

I'm waiting for all the post Christmas sales- haven't bought anything (I have almost everything from the 1st two, except need a new infant carseat)
#13 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
No doubt - it's the baby carriers that get me every time! Why am I never satisfied with what I have used before? Were does this irresistable urge to buy new baby carriers come from?!?!?!

I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers, I will buy no more carriers...
I need recommendations though...I want to try different carriers. The sling I have a ring sling and I dont really like it now. I think I want to try a moby or a fleece carrier....I am so confused by all the options!
#14 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamin View Post
I need recommendations though...I want to try different carriers. The sling I have a ring sling and I dont really like it now. I think I want to try a moby or a fleece carrier....I am so confused by all the options!
I like pocket (also called pouch) slings. They are really easy to use.

I also have the ultimate baby wrap, it's a PITA to wrap up, but once you've got it on it fits GREAT and is so comfy. It has a little stretch to it too so that's nice. It's gentle on my shoulders. I can't wait to try it with a tiny baby!

I have a baby bjorn from DS's early days and that is ok. I've since heard that it keeps the baby's hips at a bad angle so I don't think I'll be using it much.

I just bought a mei tei off the TP and that might be my new favorite. I put my DS in it this morning to test it out, he weighs around 36 lbs. I had him on my back and it wasn't too bad. I think I could actually carry him around like that for up to 30 mins at a time. I think it would be a really nice carrier for a smaller babe.

I also have some ring slings, one cotton and one solarveil. I like the solarveil because it offers protection against the sun. It also makes a good sling to wear in the shower or water. We live in FL so sun protection is important. I used it as a blanket for DS when he would fall asleep at the beach or in a stroller.

I had a nojo by Dr. Sears and hated it. It is next to impossible to pull those padded rails through the rings. I didn't use it much and ended up getting rid of it. I don't reccomend it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#15 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I like pouch slings a lot too - they are so simple and non-bulky! I have a New Native knockoff and a fleece Kangaroo Karrier. I used them both a ton, although the New Native was not that comfortable for me after the baby gets to be about 20 lbs. The fleece was great for that next 'weight group.'

The main disadvantage to a sling is that you are a little bit limited in range of motion. For instance, you can't really bend or lean way over without supporting the baby, and I could never sit either (at least without the baby protesting). I bought myself a Moby Wrap this time to address these problems, because you can basically tie them to your body more tightly and higher.

#16 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
pjs

I have a KK fleece pouch- absolutely love it, but cannot imagine wearing it in the summer (way too HOT!!). I also have a KK solarveil adjustable sling which I think will work well (pretty lightweight) and my favorite summer-type sling is a sling set sling (just one pouch)- it's light, compact and has some stretch (which I've found to be essential ever since using the KK fleece)
#17 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM

I have a ring sling and an Ergo (I had an ultimate baby wrap and it was wonderful after my c/s because all the other slings put pressure on the incision area but the ultimate didn't...bliss!). We also have an arm's reach co-sleeper (being used by a friend, but will be returned waaaaay before June) for the first few weeks.

But last year I gave away just about every other infant item we had (through the holiday helper thread).

This time round I know how little a newborn really needs, but we do need a new diaper pail, and (even though it goes against my crunchy nature) I think we're going to need some sort of playpen/packNplay type thing. Mostly because with dd we could just lay her down anywhere for her nap (usually in a little nest of pillows on the floor) but I'm thinking that the new babe is going to need a bit of a "safe spot" to sleep...something that will keep a toddler's hand and toys off the sleeping babe's head!

We haven't bough anything yet, or priced it out, but I'm sure some of our holiday gift money will go towards those things. Oh, and a new Britax Marathon of course!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#18 of 48 Old 12-15-2006, 07:21 PM

I have a KK fleece pouch, which I used for the first few months with DD. I never loved it, though. I never seemed to get the hang of putting her in it in a way that would be comfortable for both of us. (I know many who have and love them, though, so I think it was my deficiency, not the sling!)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mei Tai's, though. I can carry DD (24 lbs) comfortably for hours at a time. I have several BabyHawks and a Sachi that I use regularly. I didn't get them until DD was 4 months old, or so, and already able to ride on my back, so it'll be interesting to try them with a newborn. I'm considering a Moby or maybe an Ergo for the little one in case I don't love the MT for the early months.

I'd love to be able to shower with the new baby, but given that I'm sling-challenged I'm not sure that a solarveil sling would be good for me. Does anybody know if they make other carriers in Solarveil?

And hopefully I'll be attending my first babywearing meeting in a few days to get advice in person from other women IN PERSON!!! I know almost nobody IRL who uses carriers not available at Babies R Us, so this is kinda exciting to me!
#19 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 02:18 PM

The only thing I'm planning on buying are a few more small FB diapers and an insert for my Ergo. My two older kids are 3.5yrs and 18 months, so I still have all the necessities. Of course, "necessity" isn't really a valid concern, is it :

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#20 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratchka View Post
I'd love to be able to shower with the new baby, but given that I'm sling-challenged I'm not sure that a solarveil sling would be good for me. Does anybody know if they make other carriers in Solarveil?
I have a gypsy mama water wrap to use with the new baby. It's supposed to have a higher UPF than Solarveil so I will probably use it as the pool as well as the shower. Mine is silver and might actually work as a "fancy" wrap as well

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#21 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I like pocket (also called pouch) slings. They are really easy to use.

I also have the ultimate baby wrap, it's a PITA to wrap up, but once you've got it on it fits GREAT and is so comfy. It has a little stretch to it too so that's nice. It's gentle on my shoulders. I can't wait to try it with a tiny baby!

I have a baby bjorn from DS's early days and that is ok. I've since heard that it keeps the baby's hips at a bad angle so I don't think I'll be using it much.

I just bought a mei tei off the TP and that might be my new favorite. I put my DS in it this morning to test it out, he weighs around 36 lbs. I had him on my back and it wasn't too bad. I think I could actually carry him around like that for up to 30 mins at a time. I think it would be a really nice carrier for a smaller babe.

I also have some ring slings, one cotton and one solarveil. I like the solarveil because it offers protection against the sun. It also makes a good sling to wear in the shower or water. We live in FL so sun protection is important. I used it as a blanket for DS when he would fall asleep at the beach or in a stroller.

I had a nojo by Dr. Sears and hated it. It is next to impossible to pull those padded rails through the rings. I didn't use it much and ended up getting rid of it. I don't reccomend it.

I did have a baby bjourn with DD too, and I used for a couple months and then stopped. I know I want to try a fleece one....now if I could recall the name!!
#22 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
I have a KK fleece pouch- absolutely love it, but cannot imagine wearing it in the summer (way too HOT!!). I also have a KK solarveil adjustable sling which I think will work well (pretty lightweight) and my favorite summer-type sling is a sling set sling (just one pouch)- it's light, compact and has some stretch (which I've found to be essential ever since using the KK fleece)
Yes, this is what it is called! Yea, I am thinking it would be warm but it will be good for the winter time!
#23 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Fleece pouch - I had a fleece pouch by Hotslings. I bought it so long ago and it was only $15, I know hotslings have gone up so much in price since then but I think their fleece pouches are still fairly inexpensive. Anyway, I loved the pouch, it was my FAVORITE, but then we moved to FL and I could no longer use it.

I also have an Ergo and I really loved it for a long time, until DS started pulling my hair in the back carry

#24 of 48 Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 PM

We had all sorts of slings (homemade, mama made, and store bought) and each of them seemed to work well in different situations. I have to say, we had a cloth version of the baby bjorn that my DH loooooved. He hated the ring sling and the ergo scares him but he carried dd in that soft bjorn every day till he finally had to admit she'd outgrown in.

If you can find a store that sells a bunch of different slings, or a baby-wearing event with BTDT mamas, it's a real help. And it might be worth getting a simple sling before the babe and then shopping with the babe since some kiddos seem to have really specific opinions about how they want to be carried!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#25 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 AM

I have got almost everything tho I could use an insert for my ergo. I washed my ring sling and ergo this week so it's all ready for the new baby. I could use some onsies and side sanp t-shirts. I live in FL and it gets too hot for cute and frilly clothes here. I have 2 double strollers, 3 single strollers so I think we are okay in that dept.... Oooooooh, I just thought of something.... I am going to buy a new breast pump soon!!!!! I am so excited over the littlest things these days!
#26 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Fleece pouch - I had a fleece pouch by Hotslings. I bought it so long ago and it was only $15, I know hotslings have gone up so much in price since then but I think their fleece pouches are still fairly inexpensive. Anyway, I loved the pouch, it was my FAVORITE, but then we moved to FL and I could no longer use it.

I also have an Ergo and I really loved it for a long time, until DS started pulling my hair in the back carry
Yea, I am going to have to hawk the TP or BWTP...I just haven't yet!
#27 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 10:28 AM

I aslo bought more oneies in different sizes..damn kohls! There were like $4 for a 3 pack or something! I couldn't resist and DD weren't saying, GO MOMMY! I think I would have bought more!
#28 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 06:00 PM

I still have everything from my DD, but this babies season will be much warmer than hers was. I have picked up some almost new snapped onesies from the thrift store here on base, but that's about all I will get for a while. Or at least until tax return time comes......
#29 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 PM

I let dd get a onesie from cafepress that says "I love my big sister" she felt strongly the baby needed that, and I couldn't tell her no. I've picked up a few other clothes on clearance, though a friend will give me all the handme downs I could use.

I've also bought 8 kissaluves size 0, 2 XS Very Baby AIOs, and 4 Newborn Sweet Cheeks AIOs. Oh, and one blue wool cover from the week I got the bfp The main thing we need is to complete our diaper stash. I didn't start cloth with dd until she was 13 months, and its been so long I've given away most of what we used with her. I sort of want a new stroller and high chair, but I am not stressing over them this week.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#30 of 48 Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM

I went a little nuts last spring. I bought (all from craigslist!) a stroller, car seat and crib that attaches to our bed in case DH can't sleep w/ baby (he can barely sleep with me). Then I had a m/c and felt really stupid for a few months with all this baby stuff taking up space. It took serious discipline to keep from just giving it all away.

Well, I'm glad I kept it all because we got pregnant again three months later. This time, however, I'm really superstitious and won't buy anything for the baby myself (we have received a few gifts). Well, I guess I'll have to get over it sometime before the baby is born, but for now, NOTHING, NOTHING.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page