anyone drinking coffee? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this is a question to just satisfy my curiosity, but I started drinking one cup over the holiday and read today that coffee and caffein should be avoided during pregancy. I know that it is not recomended but I have also heard that maybe one cup is ok. When I am not pregnant I drink it regularly and now that I am feeling better I want it again, but am feeling like I really shouldn't, What do you guys thinkl, Do you drink it or avoid it?

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 AM

Now that I'm in my second trimester I'm having a cup a day. Couldn't stomach it the first trimester. I don't think a single cup can do any harm.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#3 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 01:03 AM

I don't think a single cup is so bad, but I've choosen to avoid caffiene completely.
No coffee, no tea, no soda and (gasp!) no chocolate!

For me, it's just that there are so many things about the pregnancy that you CAN'T control...it's nice and comforting to know that at the very least, I CAN control this...=)
#4 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM

I still drink coffee. It is the only thing that keeps me regular. I don't drink much at all, probably less than a half cup. I started out drinking decaf but then I learned that the process to decaffinate coffee loads it with nasty chemicals so I switched back to regular. I pretty much drink it every day and have from the beginning - except for a few days that is grossed me out. I don't drink any other caffinated drinks but I do have an occasional piece of chocolate.

ETA: I got some kind of mainstram magazine not too long ago (Babytalk maybe?) and it said that is was safe to drink up to FIVE sodas a day during pregnancy! I think that was even taken from an OB. It scares me to think that some pregnant women read this and take it as gospel. Five sodas sounds really excessive to me. They were talking about the caffeine, but failed to mention the amount of sugar in five sodas.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#5 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
ETA: I got some kind of mainstram magazine not too long ago (Babytalk maybe?) and it said that is was safe to drink up to FIVE sodas a day during pregnancy! I think that was even taken from an OB. It scares me to think that some pregnant women read this and take it as gospel. Five sodas sounds really excessive to me. They were talking about the caffeine, but failed to mention the amount of sugar in five sodas.
That is a lot of soda! Now I will admit, while I don't drink coffee even when not pg, I've still been indulging in a caffienated soda here and there when we go out to eat. And I've had chocolate. Ack, now I feel guilty.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#6 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Most books/care providers will say that 1-2 cups of coffee per day is fine for a pregnant mama.

Actually, my current care provider laughed when I asked about coffee..he said there are so many things out there that are worse for the babe (air pollution/smog, pesticide residue on produce, second hand smoke) that if a cup of coffee makes you happy, go for it. Of course, he wasn't saying "drink all you want" but he was trying to put it in perspective.

Last pregnancy I did a lot of research into the reasons behind the different "yes/no" lists of pregnancy....the coffee studies I found usually showed that coffee consumption was linked to difficulty with implantation and early fetal development. So if you're already pregnant, and in our cases, in the second trimester, you're past the main "risk" period.

I have a cup of half caf/half decaf each day, and a small piece of chocolate (as per my favorite study in the world), and I have both guilt free!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 PM

I, too, have read that medical studies have thus far found NO links to problems with less than 2 cups of coffee per day, and that some studies have identified problems in the 2-6 cup range, and that it seems conclusively problematic to consume above 6 cups of coffee per day.

I've also heard that those problems are EARLY pregnancy problems, but I didn't memorize that part of the information since I just decided never to drink 6 cups of coffee per day while pregnant!

I found coffee totally icky until about 11 weeks. My distaste for the smell eased over the next couple of weeks, then it seemed okay, and now coffee sounds good to me again, although it still doesn't taste as good as I normally think it does. (I'm 15 weeks today.)

I will drink up to 2 cups per day if I have a reason to make it (company) or find myself somewhere with good coffee drinks. Mostly I just don't bother to make it every day at home, but I would be 100% comfortable drinking one cup every morning.

I also drink black tea--1 or 2 cups per day, usually strong and black.

--willo
#8 of 21 Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 AM

I drank coffee my last two pregnancies and lost them both. One was in the second trimester. I was drinking a cup or less a day. This pregnancy I have elected not to and it is going well.
#9 of 21 Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 AM

Good luck Shawna! Sticky baby vibes to you and your little one!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 21 Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM

i drink a cup every morning and i think it is fine. i was mostly decaffeinated my last pregnancy but decided not to this time. i don't drink soda. once in a while i'll have a decaf coffee drink in the afternoon. they still have caffeine. so i'm probably getting ~80-100mg/day
#11 of 21 Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 AM

I drink a cup of coffee almost every day. I had two on Christmas. I had to go back for a second cup to wash down a yummy Belgian truffle :

I couldn't stand the smell of it during my first trimester. I wouldn't have had any then, even if I'd wanted some.

Now, I don't see the harm in it.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#12 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 AM

I have been a serious coffee fanatic for most of my adult life. I was so worried about not being able to quit drinking coffee while I was pregnant that I started weaning myself 4 months before we planned on starting to try. By the time I actually concieved I was totally on decaf (yay me! but boo to the chems used to make it decaf!) I read about pregnant women disliking the taste and smell of coffee (that would NEVER happen to me, I said), and wow, that happened overnight. One day I was happy w/ my one cup of decaf a day, and the next day I couldn't even look at my coffee maker. I haven't brewed a cup for myself yet....although I have indulged a few times (this morning was one of them). Is it totally sad that I sighed a huge sigh of happiness when I took the first sip? The happy vibes that one cup of coffee sends my baby have to outwiegh any negatives ONE cup of coffee may have.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#13 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

laughup laughup

I like the happy vibes part, that is what I say too

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#14 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM

The happy vibes thing is what my care provider was talking about...in their opinion (I have two OBs, a husband/wife team with three kiddos of their own) there are so many things out there that can have a negative impact on pregnancy and which provide absolutely no joy to mama (like smog, or pesticide residue).

So they tell patients that if a cup of coffee makes you happy, the risk is small enough that it's worth it to get those endorphins and "happy vibes" flowing. Same thing with the chocolate study...the researchers couldn't tell if it was the chocolate or the positive response to the chocolate that was doing the trick!

Obviously if you're worried about the caf then that would probably outweight the happy juice benefits, but...

yay happy vibes!

#15 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Ew..... I saw that one, too. Didn't it say 5 sodas and 2-3 cups of coffee? I thought, wow, this sucks for anyone who isn't educated about the dangers of that stuff......
#16 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM

I started craving coffee once my morning sickness subsided a bit. I started with caffeinated, but realized it was making me feel like crap. I switched to organic coffee (either newmans own or green mountain coffee) in decaf. They use a swiss water process to decaffinate their coffee without the chems. All you decaf people may want to try these instead of the conventional. I still have regular about once every couple of weeks, but not on a daily basis.
#17 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Maybe one cup a day if I get urge, which isn't often. Pretty weird considering thst I used to drink a couple cups a day.
#18 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 PM

While there's been no definitive study proving that caffeine does damage during pregnancy, the standard is to limit your intake to below 300 mg per day. That's ONE HECK of a lot of coffee (considering a cup of drip coffee is about 60 - 90 mg), so I don't think one cup per day, particularly if your body is already used to it, will do any harm.

Personally, I limit my caffeine intake dramatically while pregnant & nursing... I drink only occasionally a cup of decaf (and try only to drink swiss water decaf at that, since the other decaf processes leach chemicals into the coffee - worse than caffeine IMO)... and I have maybe one cup of green tea per day. I have not limited my chocolate intake, but I typically only eat dark cocoa when I have the craving, which is healthier than milk chocoolate.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#19 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM

I was told that 12 oz of a caffinated beverage was okay.

But I still only have coffee once in a while not a big coffee drinker really!
#20 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 PM

i completely avoided before while pregnant, i did have decaf 'cappucinno' from thoe little international cans, and i did eat some chocolate..mostly with no caffeine though since most stuff like hersheys and nestle doesnt have it, or trace amounts ince its not the 'good' stuff lol

this time, ive had 2 glasses of tea my kids dad gave me as his attempt at an apology for being kinda rude the night before, he brought me some iced tea, and it made me cry, lol so i drank it, it wasnt much, but i wont drink caffeinated coffee, or havent had any really caffeinated chocolate, etc now.
no caffeinated soda this time either..
#21 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM

OKay I take that back I am a Pepsi drinker but just one can per day, I know bad but I can't help it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page