Weekly Thread: January 3-January 9 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll join the LOW BLOOD PRESSURE club. : Mine was 100/55, I think, at my mw appt last week. Getting dizzy for no reaon (i.e., not when standing up) is the only scary part for me as I'm always on the low side for bp.

It was because of my bp-induced dizziness that I stopped working around 7 months into my first pg. I was working retail, and, while a partially-paid maternity leave would've been lovely, we didn't need the money enough for me to risk fainting into a precarious heap of boxes in the store's back room!

The dizziness is hitting me much earlier this time, so I'm being careful a lot more of the time. I have to use the handicapped restroom stalls--I need to know I have a grab bar handy!

Aside from advice to eat as much salt as tastes good, and to drink juice as well as water, my midwife said ear-stuff (sinus issues) can be a factor in dizziness, too. She said I could take Sudafed, but I hate that stuff, so I'm going to the acupuncturist tomorrow. She cures my sinus congestion with no side effects except a deep feeling of inner peace.

Also, I know I've heard that SEVERE itching can be a serious sign worth talking to one's practitioner about. If it is your hands and feet, that's a sign of a rare liver problem (I think), but there are a couple of other conditions worth discussing with a doctor or midwife.

I think I've heard some other second-timers complain about this, but I'm getting aches and pains much earlier this time. I tried to shave my left leg yesterday, and I could NOT put that foot up onto the side of the tub. It gave me too much pain in my hip. My back ached yesterday, too, for no obvious reason. I heard that my chiropractor has switched to being a nutritionist, but DH thinks she will still see me because she's a family friend and I'm pregnant (and I'm so cool, of course. ) I've been reluctant to impose on her, but I'm getting close. I don't want to find someone else!

--willo
#32 of 45 Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 AM

Wombat I hope your u/s goes well today and you get some answers I'll be sending positive vibes your way.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#33 of 45 Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a great weekend! I've had a pretty good week here-everything seems to be going better. I'm not quite as tired but a nap or two a week still feels great! DH had to go back to school today, so the great homecooked meals he makes will slow down until May. I really enjoyed last week-he made a fantastic squid curry with fragrant rice and a vegetable hot pot soup. (He's the real cook in our house!)

I have to brag on my dad for a minute. He is so excited about this baby (and is the only family member to show his excitment). The day after we told him he was going to be a grandfather he sent me a pattern for a cradle that he has had since my mom was pregnant with me. He said he wanted to make it then but didn't feel he had the experience to make it but wanted to try it now. I just got a picture of the cradle in progress and it's darling!!!

My next appointment is next Tuesday and I'm checking with a girlfriend to see if she can go since DH has classes all day. We're thinking of making a day of it with shopping and lunch. We're going to check out the consignment shops and thrift stores for maternity deals. Should be a fun day!

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#34 of 45 Old 01-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Heyla all!

Soooooo....drumroll....babe is okay! w00t! Huzzah! Dance the happy dance!

And babe is a "she" as far as we can tell...so dd is getting a little sister. I'm really thrilled since I'm MUCH happier with our list of girl names (I really didn't want a baby Salvatore, no matter how nice a name it is).

On the down side, our appointment was for 10am and we sat in the waiting room till 12, then in the doctor's office till one. Then we got 30 minutes of "scare tactics" and a 25 minute scan. And the doctor was a total butt...very obviously knows that he is one of three doctors who offer this test, and very fond of his status.

Ugh. He started by taking a mini-history and when he learned I had a c/s with DD he said "Ahhh...so another cesarean for you, how lucky you are!" and when I said "No, actually we're having a VBAC" he almost swalloed his tongue. He then sort of leaned towards me and said, "You know that's a very risky choice? You have a scar on your uterus and its not uncommon for that scar to rupture during labor. And when that happens your baby will die. Or be mentally retarded. I wouldn't recommend a VBAC, and any doctor who does is asking you to gamble with your baby's life."

I was in shock! I'm not even his patient and within 5 minutes he's playing the dead baby card? Yea gods and little green apples! And the real kicker was the uterine rupture risk he quoted (1 in 200...which is actually wrong). He had just finished telling us that our cardiac abnormality risk was "only" 1 in 97 and that shouldn't worry us...in fact he almost wouldn't suggest further testing since the risk was so low! And then to turn around and say that a 1 in 97 risk was "so low it shouldn't bother you" and a 1 in 200 risk was "unacceptably high, your baby will die!"?

Grrrr...I mean, the risk of UR is lower than the risk for a cord prolapse, and the risk for prolapse increases with AROM...and yet AROM is one of the most common interventions in labor. It's practically "standard" these days. It drives me crazy!

Ah well...I can ignore the fact that he's an idiot due to the fact that everything came out good in the end. And it certainly put my own doctor's concerns in perspective (my doc is 95% yay VBAC but compared to this guy my doc team are cheerleaders par excellance!).

So YAY...healthy baby! YAY...healthy baby girl!

Which also means I can use my local hospital and keep my current care providers, a go shopping at our local mama thrift shop for some cute newborn items.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#35 of 45 Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Congratulations, WombatClay on your healthy baby girl (and on not smacking that doc even though he deserved it)!
#36 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM

HOOORAY WOMBAT!!!!

OK... sitting here with my 24 oz of water in me and now I'm off to my US

there are a few of us going today!!! goodluck and I'll let you all know how it turns out!
#37 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm so jealous of you guys all getting your U/S so early. I just want the one so the OB here had me schedued for Jan 31. That way they could do it all at once.

But that means I have to wait, wait, wait......
#38 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 PM

So...share share!

All you Tuesday scanners...how was it? Any popped bladders? Anyone else find out the sex? Of course, we're not sharing the name till mini-dd is born so outside the house we're calling her "She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" or "BabyMort" for short.

Fingers crossed everyone has a wonderful scan, a healthy babe, and as much information as you want or need!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#39 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM

I hope all of you Yuesday u/s mamas are having fun seeing your little babes on the u/s screen. We want to hear all about it when you get back! :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#40 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM

YAY wombatclay for a good u/s! I love BabyMort!!! too cute.

looking forward to hearing about everyone else's ultrasounds!

I'll get one on Friday (i'll be 16wks) and hopefully they'll be able to tell the sex! This one is for a study I'm participating in and we also have our regular 20wk one at the end of the month. But i'm hoping to get a sneak peek at the sex!

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#41 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM

: :
Things are coming up PINK!
#42 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM

WhiteWax- Hurrah! Congrats on the baby girl!

#43 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Congrats on the baby girl!!!!!

#44 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
I just need to whine for a second. I am still having episodes of morning sickness. I'm in the middle of my 17th week. This is really getting old.
I hope it subsides soon! I was still having morning sickness at times but it seems to be gone now (I hope)!
#45 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
: :
Things are coming up PINK!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page