Weekly Thread: January 3-January 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we are due for a new thread here... I hope I'm right. I've been totally out of touch with this board and all other things online as we were away for a week for the holidays and sinse returning our computer has stopped working for the second time in a month (so frustrating). I have a loner now so I've been playing catch up here and on email...quite a task!

I'm feeling good, remembering funny things about being pregnant again (I drop EVERYTHING and while normally a morning person who jumps right up I want to laze in bed for hours). My stomach popped over the holidays... still haven't had random comments from strangers yet, but I think I'm past the "pregnant or dipping into the Ben and Jerry's a bit too much?" phase. I saw my midwife just before we left for Chirstmas and still don't have a firm due date! I thought it would be the 10th of June but an early ultrasound put me at the 21st... not a huge deal as the babe will come when s/he does, but still I'd like to at least be able to say I'm 16 weeks, or 17.5 weeks. The nice thing is my midwife is trying to be careful about how we select the date to allow me to carry the longest without having to discuss induction, but also being sure placenta is fine etc etc.

Others still nursing? We're still at it, although my daughter is being funny about it... asking to nurse then when I get ready she shakes her head no, asking my husband to nurse (which she has never done), refusing the few regular nursings we have. I think my milk is changing... I can barely get any out (and none unless my daughter has just nursed) but when I have it seems darker and yellower, closer to the newborn super fatty milk. Maybe she's finding the taste strange and I think there is way less, so I assume that is what the odd behavior is about. I'm really looking forward to nursing a newborn as opposed to an octopus... a sweet quite babe who nurses and nurses, gets pink cheeked and milk-drunk and then spits up all over me. So in reference to the Baby Hungry post, I guess I'm there!

Have a great week everyone.

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Yes, we're still nursing. I thought for a week or so that he was close to weaning, and then he started nursing 3x a day again. I'm just grateful for each day he continues.

I have been dealing with a bit of the blues the past few days, I'm not exactly sure what it's all about. DS is at a very demanding age and I've been feeling guilty that i don't stop to think about the baby as often as I probably should.

My midwife had her prenatal group last night and we went. I can't say it was terribly enlightening but it was good to be around other women. DH came but I think he'll stay home for the next few. He's really not into the whole thing. Does anyone else have this issue? He is very supportive but he's just not interested. For that reason I know he's not a good support person in labor.
#3 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Well...this week I get my level II u/s and we should know if our babe is healthy or if not, what we need to plan for. So fingers crossed and healthy baby vibes are welcome! The appointment is Monday morning so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I got my first "are you pregnant" from a lady who works at the coffee shop in the library where I work. So I guess my move into "real" maternity clothes was just in time. I went to our local mama thrift shop an got a few pairs of casual pants (my Target Liz Lange transtition pants from last pregnancy still fit fine, but I've only go two pair and their a bit dressy for home...it was wonderful to pick up blue jeans and khakis and I really needed a few tops that would cover the "belly band")

We're still nursing and DD doesn't seem to be letting up. I was a little annoyed at my doctor at my last appointment actually...husband/wife team and the wife used to be a LLL leader. And she's still nursing their 21mo. Anyway, I saw the husband last time and he wondered if dd was still nursing. When I said yes he was surprised since in his experience most kids wean during mama's pregnancy. Which is fine! But his next comment annoyed me..."Well, keep on going, it's not going to hurt the baby, but just remember mothers who tandem nurse get old before their time. It's a lot of stress on your body you know!". I don't think he was being mean or anything, but the comment was inappropriate IMO.

We'll be going to the local Birth Group for a refresher class at some point. It's a very casual group (started decades ago to promote homebirth, though now it covers all sorts of birth options) and I've attended the full session twice (once while pregnant with dd, then again as a doula for certification purposes). I know I'm not going to "learn" anything new, but it will be nice to be around other pregnant mamas with a leaning towards "natural" birth.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Good luck with your appt. on Monday, Wombatclay, sending love to you and the babe.
Doing good here, my belly sure has popped, I saw my midwife yesterday, things look good, we still didn't hear the heartbeat, because we are waiting until we can hear it with the fetoscope, maybe by the next visit as I will be 21 weeks then. My blood pressure was low, I need to research what that means and what to do about it.l I have been having quite a few headaches, and dizzy spells, I think related to the low blood pressure, anyone else have this problem? Anyway getting more snow hear in the mountains, there has been a major storm weekly for the past 3 weeks, it's getting old!:
Not nursing, ds weened himself 3 weeks before I got pregnant, but I was really sad about it, now I am looking forward to nursing this little angel!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#5 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
tls

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Shell_Ell, My DH is the same way. He does not want to take Bradley classes again. I'm so glad my SIL is my doula. She is very supportive and excited for me. DH just doesn't take much interest in the whole pregnancy and birth. In fact, I think he is much more involved with the kids now that they are older. I think babies are just not that exciting to him, which is fine. He'll be good at occupying the older kids when I need to be with the baby .

Herbmama, what is your blood pressure at, if I may ask? I think my BP is around 112/60 which sounds low to me but may be normal. I too have been having headaches but I think I need to drink more water. In my uneducated way I thought low BP was good during pregnancy but I really don't know.

DS seems to have weaned although he was sick this week and asked to nurse a few times. Otherwise he only asks 2-3 times a week I think, and that is when he sees or feels my breasts or sometimes if I lay down next to him. On an exciting note, DS is on his way to being potty trained! We have been trying off and on for over a year to get him on the potty but he always refused. This week DH is home with him and he has spent most of the time in underwear. I am so happy cuz I was not looking forward to having 2 in diapers. Yay.
#6 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM

herbmama-
i too had low blood pressure issues in my pregnancies. my normal non-pregnant blood pressure was always about 110/80 or so, but in pregnancy it would go as low as 90/50! yes, having low blood pressure can cause headaches (not enough oxygen to the brain on top of the cut because of blood directing instead to the uterus), dizziness, fatigue. on top of that i have hypoglycemia when pregnant, so i'm sort of a mess. in labor with my 2nd, i had a really hard time. i labored in the birth tub some during active labor, but found my arm and hand falling asleep/getting all tingly, which freaked me out, so i got out. but once out i felt super faint and almost passed out, having to lie on my back-yuck!- with my feet up and breathe into a bag. that was such a scary labor moment. i thought "how can i give birth if i'm passed out??" i got through fine, but a few hours after her birth i stood up to go pee and just fainted back onto the bed so was on bedrest for a few days. since being in the water is a good tool for *lowering blood pressure*, i would really discourage women with low blood pressure from laboring in water- it felt yucky.
but for some reason this pregnancy, my blood pressure isn't dropping so much and isn't causing me a problem. i only feel it in yoga, with all the up and down, i have to be careful. and getting up in general from lying in bed, i have to do slowly.
the cause? mine is hereditary- all the women in my family have low bp.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#7 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Thank you mataj4, that is the most information I have been able to find on lbp, I am definately not happy about it, think I need to start exercising more to get my blood moving, well see, anyway thanks for the tips!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#8 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 PM

I too am a low blood pressure queen - 88/60 consistently at every appointment! And hypoglycemic too, no matter what I eat/drink or how often. I walk around in a dizzy haze most of the time. Should be interesting when I start back teaching a grad level class next week! Anyway, herbmama and mataji4 and others, you're not alone!

One hopeful thought is that once our increasing blood volume catches up with dilating blood vessels, we might feel better.

Had 'the' ultrasound today. Had to go the the hospital for it - I bet my blood pressure was up pretty high the entire time just being there. Very busy/noisy waiting room, which I got to sit in for almost an hour after my appointment time before they called me. All in all I didn't like it at all, just felt icky the whole time. Seemed like everything with baby is fine though, only disconcerting thing was the US tech asking me if I had any known fibroids. Oh, and I always forget my LMP so I end up saying 'well I ovulated on Sept 9 so just take 2 weeks from that.' US lady looked at my like I was crazy.

didn't find out the sex!

Jillian - weren't you having US today too? Did you end up finding out?
#9 of 45 Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Wombatclay: I really hope your level 2 u/s goes well. I'll be sending positive vibes your way

Herbmama: I also have low blood pressure, I've had it for about a year now. It's a pain in the butt but it can be managed. I carry gatorade, salted nuts, and pretzel sticks with me for a boost whenever I'm feeling really dizzy. My primary care dr. prescribed me some salt tablets before I got preg because I was having frequent dizzy spells.

Rock Dr: I'm glad the u/s went well. I can never remember when my LMP was either so I give my O/conception date and people think I'm crazy too! I think it's cool that you didn't find out, we caved in and found out

I had my u/s today and it went well. For a while we could only see 2 chambers in the heart but then the baby moved and we could see 4. I was really scared for a few minutes there. We found out the sex, it's another little boy. Honestly, I was a little sad for a few minutes but I'm happy now. I feel like I really bonded with him and I got some cute 4D pics of his face. He has the cutest little nose

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#10 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

This has been a fun week, baby-wise for me (otherwise it has sucked a big fat weenie, and it wasn't even kosher).

Had the Lev II U/S on Wednesday. Baby looks perfectly healthy will all of her parts functioning and in place. Strong heartbeat. Big head. Big belly. Just like her daddy.

Oh, and she's a she, according to the sonographer...I got a pretty clear shot when she was taking the femur measurements and I definitely didn't see any suspicious parts. LOL

Baby Willow has been very active this week, but not quite so that she's readily available for my husband or kids to experience the kicking and wiggling. I, on the other hand, feel like I'm getting kick-boxed from the inside-out.

Now that we know she's really a girl, I'm anxious to start preparing to decorate the nursery, buy furniture and clothes and all the fun stuff.

I'm also feeling better physically...which is a relief.
#11 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Went to the OB on Wednesday for a check up. Of all the docs at this terrible military hospital, he is by far my fav. He talked about the pros and cons of the quad screening (which I turned down) and helped me think of new ideas for my sciatic pain. There's no chiropractor out here, so I am trying to make do. Anyways, baby's heart rate was in the 140s or so. We actaully found it this time with the doppler (that's what it's called right? I am so bad with naming medical technology ). My daughter was an angel during the appt. I had to take her because my husband couldn't get the hour off.

I finally remembeed my prenatal vitamin again last night during dinner. So once a week isn't ideal but I am trying. U/S is scheduled for January 31. My husband is taking a snowboarding trip to Hokkaido that week, so if I find out, I get to surprise him. He is also finally warming up to the pregnancy and actually called the baby moving "exciting" last night. My heart just about burst. Welcome to week 17, sweetheart!f

I really ope this one is a girl because he is determined to name a boy Sean. With that spelling. For me, I do like that name...with a passion. It just doesn't fit with our last name at all. There's no arguing about it though. Grr....I am going to name this kiddo Liam or something. He didn't even want another kid and he gets to name it? (As you can tell I am still a bit sore about this). I am working through it all though.

I hope everyone's weekend is great and that everyone stays as healthy as possible (that includes Baby!)
#12 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM

Another member of the low blood pressure club, here. I think it was 92/60 or somthing close to that last time. I've been having dizzy spells and lots of "floaters" in my vision. It's inconvenient, but I haven't felt in danger of passing out yet, which is good. I usually have low blood pressure, but it seems to get worse in pregnancy. This time is worse than last, but that may simply be because I'm chasing a toddler! MW recommended more food in general, more protein in particular, and more water to help out.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't remember to take my vitamins. I've been absolutely terrible about it, and I feel guilty as heck. But I honestly can't seem to remember the things!

We've had two u/s so far, and I don't know when/if we'll have the third (and probably final) sonogram. The last one was at 16 weeks. The tech was very thorough, but it wasn't an official level 2, so I'll see how MW feels about one more scan to check for all those lovely anatomical measurements. I'm pretty comfortable with u/s though I wasn't expecting to have more than one or two this pregnancy.

For those of you with uninterested husbands, I'm sorry to hear that they're less than enthusiastic. DH is really excited about this baby. (I was the one who wanted to wait longer - or perhaps forever - for another.) But even with that excitement, he's far less attentive and enthralled than he was last time. I think it's hard for men to connect with pregnancies and very young babies sometimes. I know DH has been consistently more interested in DD each month as she's become more of a kid and less of a baby. He always loved her, but now he enjoys her much more.

I've started a homebirthing group in my area through the Meetup website. I'm kinda astonished that we already have 8 members! We're actually planning a get-together sometime in the next couple weeks. I'm really excited to meet some other homebirthing moms IRL. So far I only know a handful, and two of those are my aunt and my MW. This is the least diverse area I've ever lived in, and it can be a little difficult to find/connect with others outside the mainstream.

I think that's all the news here!
#13 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 AM

wombatclay--Healthy baby vibes coming your way

Jilian--have you decided if you're telling the sex or keeping it private?

I'm in the low blood pressure club too. And I tend to have low blood sugar. It gave me some trouble after my last birth. I'm a little worried about it, to be honest. I'm thinking of using methergine preventatively this time...of course the trade off is wicked after-pains, but at least I'll be conscious for them!

I've had a lot of symptoms lately--headaches, dizziness upon standing, fatigue. It's far worse when I don't have morning coffee. I'd like to enjoy coffee once or twice a week, but for the past several weeks I've felt terrible the times I've tried to skip it. Hopefully I can get off the caffeine in a few weeks when my blood volume expands.

Otherwise, I'm doing ok. My window is closing on scheduling the 20wk u/s if I
want to have it done in time to determine the sex...I don't think I'm going to do it, but sometimes when I think about the possibility of having a boy, I think it might be better to know now. I might need some time to get used to the idea.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#14 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:15 AM

It sounds like everyone is doing well, that is great!

Cjanelles: I'm anxious to start decorating the nursery too, and we barely even used it with DS. There is something about seeing a little baby room that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside I remember that we didn't set up DS's nursery until I was about 8 mos pregnant and it was EXHAUSTING for me. I'd like to enjoy it this time. And of course I'm a planner so it makes me feel better knowing that everything is taken care of.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#15 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post

Jilian--have you decided if you're telling the sex or keeping it private?

I
want to have it done in time to determine the sex...I don't think I'm going to do it, but sometimes when I think about the possibility of having a boy, I think it might be better to know now. I might need some time to get used to the idea.
It's another boy! I was sad a little at first because I really wanted a girl but now I'm really excited about it. I'm glad I found out, I think if I spent the whole pregnancy thinking it was a girl and then it was a boy I'd be more upset. My sister (who is 37 weeks preg) is having a boy too, so our boys can grow up together.

So I really know what you mean about needing time to get used to the idea of having a certain sex baby.

#16 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Well...this week I get my level II u/s and we should know if our babe is healthy or if not, what we need to plan for. So fingers crossed and healthy baby vibes are welcome! The appointment is Monday morning so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I got my first "are you pregnant" from a lady who works at the coffee shop in the library where I work. So I guess my move into "real" maternity clothes was just in time. I went to our local mama thrift shop an got a few pairs of casual pants (my Target Liz Lange transtition pants from last pregnancy still fit fine, but I've only go two pair and their a bit dressy for home...it was wonderful to pick up blue jeans and khakis and I really needed a few tops that would cover the "belly band")

We're still nursing and DD doesn't seem to be letting up. I was a little annoyed at my doctor at my last appointment actually...husband/wife team and the wife used to be a LLL leader. And she's still nursing their 21mo. Anyway, I saw the husband last time and he wondered if dd was still nursing. When I said yes he was surprised since in his experience most kids wean during mama's pregnancy. Which is fine! But his next comment annoyed me..."Well, keep on going, it's not going to hurt the baby, but just remember mothers who tandem nurse get old before their time. It's a lot of stress on your body you know!". I don't think he was being mean or anything, but the comment was inappropriate IMO.

We'll be going to the local Birth Group for a refresher class at some point. It's a very casual group (started decades ago to promote homebirth, though now it covers all sorts of birth options) and I've attended the full session twice (once while pregnant with dd, then again as a doula for certification purposes). I know I'm not going to "learn" anything new, but it will be nice to be around other pregnant mamas with a leaning towards "natural" birth.

Good Luck with your U/S!!!
#17 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
I too am a low blood pressure queen - 88/60 consistently at every appointment! And hypoglycemic too, no matter what I eat/drink or how often. I walk around in a dizzy haze most of the time. Should be interesting when I start back teaching a grad level class next week! Anyway, herbmama and mataji4 and others, you're not alone!

One hopeful thought is that once our increasing blood volume catches up with dilating blood vessels, we might feel better.

Had 'the' ultrasound today. Had to go the the hospital for it - I bet my blood pressure was up pretty high the entire time just being there. Very busy/noisy waiting room, which I got to sit in for almost an hour after my appointment time before they called me. All in all I didn't like it at all, just felt icky the whole time. Seemed like everything with baby is fine though, only disconcerting thing was the US tech asking me if I had any known fibroids. Oh, and I always forget my LMP so I end up saying 'well I ovulated on Sept 9 so just take 2 weeks from that.' US lady looked at my like I was crazy.

didn't find out the sex!

Jillian - weren't you having US today too? Did you end up finding out?
Funny, my blood pressure is normal at my MW's office, but my mom has a machine, due to high blood pressure issues, and everytime I take my BP is low, like ridicously low!
#18 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
It's another boy! I was sad a little at first because I really wanted a girl but now I'm really excited about it. I'm glad I found out, I think if I spent the whole pregnancy thinking it was a girl and then it was a boy I'd be more upset. My sister (who is 37 weeks preg) is having a boy too, so our boys can grow up together.

So I really know what you mean about needing time to get used to the idea of having a certain sex baby.
Congratulations on another BOY!!!!!!!!!
#19 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM

we are also still nursing but for a lot shorter than before, i also think the milk has changed. DD says there is milk and her face lights up when she askes but she only last about 30seconds to 1 min latched.

Shel Ell, my dh is very uninvolved, with dd it was the same he was not much help in labourm thought i made too much fuss and was rather a negative energy. Planning to UC this time so not sure if i should have someone else there.

Wombatclaly: good luck with the u/s

Jillian: congrats on your boy and that all is well with the u/s

Cjanelles: congrats on your girl, seeme like alot of people are finding out.

vannienicole: glad to hear there are others that can't agree on a name

saratchka: well done on starting a group, i doubt i would find enough people were i stay to have a homebirth group

I am getting bad headaches with make the nausea worse. Not much fun and the other realy annoying symptom is itchy leg, but really really itchy. I can't sleep and i want to rip my skin off, nothing helps!!
we are still in the middle of discussions about mving and it might be before baby moving to a new country with a 2 year old just before birth is not what i want to be doing!
#20 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM

vitamins! i haven't taken them since week 8 or something. every time i try to take a pill (prenatal, dha, anything), i throw it up. i try every once in a while, since i'm not nauseous anymore, i don't know why it keeps happening!

i'm terribly jealous of everyone finding out the baby's sex, but just can't convince myself that it's okay to get an u/s for no other reason than that.

mamallama, what do you mean by taking methergine preventatively to treat low pb??? do you mean you are afraid of not being able to handle blood loss? i wouldn't recommend methergine unless it is necessary in the moment due to extreme blood loss. it clamps down the uterus so intensely, that if anything is left in there- membranes or a piece of the placenta or anything- it won't come out and can cause an infection. maybe working on creating an efficient uterus now would be good, like drinking red raspberry regularly- i swear, that stuff is amazing.

i'm doing okay, feeling huge- surprising myself as i bump belly into kitchen counters and can't cross my legs anymore! last night i was lamenting about the hugeness of my belly, saying "i don't know how i have room to grow for another 20 weeks, i mean, can i get bigger than this?" and my husband said "i wish i had tape-recorded you saying that with every pregnancy!" i'm dealing with varicose veins on one shin that i get every pregnancy- have to wear a support hose and it aches anyway, yuck! and i'm feeling SUPER tired, which hasn't hit me til this week. my energy was so good til now! it's almost worse if i get a lot of sleep or nap. but OTHER than all that, i'm feeling baby moving more, and really getting baby fever, which means i want to buy all the stuff for the baby NOW!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#21 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 07:14 PM

I'm new here - posted an intro on the intro thread but will give a quick overview! This is baby #4 for us - we are due June 16 but I am somewhat hoping for the 17th, Father's Day. My oldest will be 5 in May, I also have a almost 3 year old boy and 1 year + 1 day son. It will be busy but I firmly believe closer together is easier over the long run ... you never regain the joy of sleep!

All is well. I am less tired than the frist tri, I have put on a bout 4 lbs and am just about on the verge to pop - no mat clothes yet, but the days are limited! I have a midwife appointment this Thursday and the level II scan a week Thursday (Jan. 18). We are hoping to find out the gender (to help with names mainly) but the tech at the 12 week thought babe looked boy and given the timing of conception, I tend to agree. [So many arguments to have either, that it really doesn't matter!]

Otherwise, I am hoping to get great feedback on the homebirth idea. My last birth was a smashing success - only spent 2 1/2 hours at the hospital total (midwife) - and felt so much more alive for not having any meds. My husband is scared silly of the idea. I have read the research on how homebirth is an excellent option for low risk etc but still worry about the 'what-ifs'.

PS - I am too a low bloodpressure and hypoglycemic - dizzy at times, my midwives are almost amazed that I don't faint! A typical bp is 90/55. If I don't eat regularily (I also have a very fast metabolism), I become an utter grouch!
#22 of 45 Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Hey, Ann! Welcome!

I completely understand being nervous about the what-ifs when contemplating homebirth. Would you be using a midwife? If so, I'd suggest you go ahead and interview several midwives and ask them really serious questions about how they would handle the specific situations that you're nervous about. That made all the difference for us. We only interviewed the one MW (we already knew her and knew she was a great fit if we decided to hb) but her responses to our questions made us much more confident about our decision to forgo the hospital this time around. Of course it helps that we're only 15 minutes from a hospital, too.

Gotta run and make dinner. DH is getting whiny!
#23 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
mamallama, what do you mean by taking methergine preventatively to treat low pb??? do you mean you are afraid of not being able to handle blood loss?
The numbers are relative, so what's fine for me could be a real problem for someone else. A typical reading for me is 80/60, but I've been conscious for 60/40. I'm not sure where I start to feel wierd, but I'd guess it's closer to my baseline than my consciousness threshold. My point is, I don't have much wiggle room between "normal" and unable to sit up.

I've bled a bit much with both of my births, but especially so with my second. I passed out a couple of times & it ended up being quite a while (a day or more) before I was steady enough to move from bed to couch without help. I wasn't able to move about freely for several days. It certainly wasn't what I wanted to follow my sweet & easy homebirth, and it's not something I want to repeat!

Methergine has the side effect of raising bp, sometimes significantly. My experience with it has been pretty normal lochia--some biggish clots, but not really excessive. My ctx were long and strong, but not hypotonic. I think I took it every 6 hours? I could definately tell when it took effect and when it wore off. While the afterpains were a real bear, I felt much better (I could sit up and stay awake,) I bled less, and my bp was significantly higher. When it wore off, I crashed and stayed crashed until it was time for my next dose. My midwife cautioned me to not take it until the time was up, as she wanted to make sure I had time to expell any clots that might be building while I was on it. My experience was that timing administration worked well, so I'm not worried about retained tissue.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it until the placenta was out, and I'd definately not take it if the placenta were incomplete or membranes were obviously trailing.

I take care with my diet--including blood builders & RRL daily. I've also done that with all of my previous pregnancies.

I'm working on my expectations--that is, creating an expectation of my uterus working efficiently and my bp remaining at an optimal level.

Maybe I'll decide not to use any medical preventatives at all. I really fear a repeat of my last birth. It's important to me to get over that so I can approach this baby's birth with the confidence s/he and I need to get the work done. Sitting with each of my options is how I figure out how to proceed.

So, thanks for asking! In writing this post I've put a lot more thought into it & while I won't hesitate to use methergine if I pass out, maybe it's not my best first choice.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#24 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post

Not much fun and the other realy annoying symptom is itchy leg, but really really itchy. I can't sleep and i want to rip my skin off, nothing helps!!
!
Johnsons makes a Baby oil gel... it comes in some different scents (I like Chomomile) but anyway I find that if I rub it on my (VERY dry) skin when I'm still a bit damp from the shower it locks in any moisture for at least a day. It feels a little greasy at first, ( I really recomed wetting your hands to make it rub on smoother) but one it starts to soak in it's really great!

I'm glad to hear that every one is more or less doing well. This has been an exciting week to read everyones posts and just makes me more excited for my US on tuesday! I really want to know what we're having.

DP is FINALLY starting to show some interest in this baby. Feeling my tummy at night or patting it and saying something silly like "Good Baby". Not sure why he's changed a little about it but I'm happy none the less. He was also very aloof for a while. Not getting to mw appointments with me and not really talking or wanting to hear about anything. He's come around though and I know he'll be great in labor. Oddly enough (not sure if this says something about me) I was cleaning out our closet and I found the shirt he wore when DD was born. I remember it because it was this hawian shirt with a few cherries on it. I remember focusing on those cherries every time I had a contraction and it really helped me. But anything auditory was terribly annoying (and I'm a music type of person, go figure!).

In other news.......... I'm moving!!!! This coming weekend!!!!! Which means I'm PACKING!!!! while DP is WORKING : Either way I'm very excited about it all!

Also the temp here has been freakishly warm. As in, the world is ending kind of warm. it hit over 60 degrees today and every one was out (including my Chihuahua) without a coat. My windows are open right now it's very unsettleing for January 6th. We live in mid-state NY and it should be snowing... but alas. How are things by you Wombat? I think you're a bit higher up NY than we are.

well thats enough rambeling for today... I feel like the odd ball because the last few times I have had slightly high blood pressure... good luck to every one with the low.
#25 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 AM

Sally Z--I know how you feel about the move. I am supposed to move back to the US (which means looong flight) during my 32nd week. I may leave a couple weeks early, but then I would have to fly without my hubby. 30 weeks and a 3 yo with our luggage. I don't know....

DH and I had a talk last night about how I feel emotionally alone. He told me that he is resigned to and accepting that this pregnancy and bby is going to happen, but he isn't warm to it at all. I guess you guys are the only ones who get to be excited with me about the whole thing. My family and friends are all in the US and it is hard to do this what feels like all alone something. I'm so glad you guys are here!

#26 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 03:14 AM

vannienicole if we move it will also be late in the pregnancy and also moving countries. We will go from South Africa to England and need to find a house and a car and everything before dh goes off shore again. He is on 28 day rotations!

I asked on the pregnancy part of the forum for advice re itching and some posted about itchymoms.com and a conditions called Cholestasis which is really serious. Now i am stressed, it is not just dry skin as no ammount of cream or anything helps. I can't sleep and it itches constantly!
#27 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 AM

Sally Z--I know how you feel about the move. We have to find all that before the baby comes and who knows when my husband will deploy next. As soon as we get to Oklahoma and he gets checked into his nw squadron, only THEN will we know. Oy.
#28 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
I'm new here - posted an intro on the intro thread but will give a quick overview! This is baby #4 for us - we are due June 16 but I am somewhat hoping for the 17th, Father's Day. My oldest will be 5 in May, I also have a almost 3 year old boy and 1 year + 1 day son. It will be busy but I firmly believe closer together is easier over the long run ... you never regain the joy of sleep!

All is well. I am less tired than the frist tri, I have put on a bout 4 lbs and am just about on the verge to pop - no mat clothes yet, but the days are limited! I have a midwife appointment this Thursday and the level II scan a week Thursday (Jan. 18). We are hoping to find out the gender (to help with names mainly) but the tech at the 12 week thought babe looked boy and given the timing of conception, I tend to agree. [So many arguments to have either, that it really doesn't matter!]

Otherwise, I am hoping to get great feedback on the homebirth idea. My last birth was a smashing success - only spent 2 1/2 hours at the hospital total (midwife) - and felt so much more alive for not having any meds. My husband is scared silly of the idea. I have read the research on how homebirth is an excellent option for low risk etc but still worry about the 'what-ifs'.

PS - I am too a low bloodpressure and hypoglycemic - dizzy at times, my midwives are almost amazed that I don't faint! A typical bp is 90/55. If I don't eat regularily (I also have a very fast metabolism), I become an utter grouch!
Welcome Ann!

We are due date buddies! Although I think my date should the be the 18th
#29 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 04:58 PM

I just need to whine for a second. I am still having episodes of morning sickness. I'm in the middle of my 17th week. This is really getting old.
#30 of 45 Old 01-07-2007, 08:15 PM

hi all,
this thread has been so helpful...i don't talk much on here, but I read religiously. last night i almost fainted while waiting at a full restaurant in bklyn with friends for a table. it was scary. i have been hungry, lightheaded, spacy before, but this time i literally felt like i couldn't stand and was losing my peripheral vision. i drank a root beer and then all was fine, but it freaked me out. at our second midwife appt on thursday she mentioned how low my bp was (90/65?)--i was shocked. i have always had low bp. i sold plasma my freshman year in college b/c i didn't want a job to distract from my studies but i needed cash, and i used to have to go jog or smoke a cigarette to get my bp up high enough to sell! but it has never been 90 over something.

i will start carrying gatorate, nuts, etc, too.

i have been wicked constipated...there's a no pushing rule? ugh...i drink prune juice daily. it was doing the trick for a while but its seems to have lost its potency. waaaahhh...

i itch like a crack head (as my students say). nothing can stop it. it's obnoxious and irritating, esp my itchy scalp. no dandruff, just the desire to scratch my brains out!

on the happier side, my 2 weeks of feeling craptastic have ended and i hhave been able to eat again, after losing all the weight i had gained (only about 6 lbs). i can't eat enough now. i have been tired, though, too. i keep waiting for that post-first trimester energy happy burst, but it's slow in coming. i'll be 16 weeks this week, due date of june 27th. my friend just gave birth almost 2 weeks late today, if i do that i'll give birth on my birthday!

thanks for all the advice. this website is golden. xo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page