*~ Weekly Thread January 10 - 16 ~* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wombat, that house looks cute, hope it works out for you!

DH and I are moving too, and we moved twice during my last pregnancy, I too need a place to feel comfortable in birthing a baby. There is something funny that happens to me when I get pregnant, I instantly become dissatisfied with my current living space and have to move. Luckily we have only rented, but this time we are looking into buying, so I don't think your crazy, just looking out for the safety and wellbeing of your family.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#32 of 47 Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 PM

DH and I pretty much intend to live in this house until we retire... and yet I've been bugging him to look at a house for sale elsewhere in our town recently.

Nesting hormones, obviously.

We're considering taking a home loan and finishing our basement to add an extra bathroom (we have only one) and a family room that Mom could also inhabit when she's here for her 3 weeks+ visits. It's horrifying to me, as we tend to be VERY careful about debt, but also I feel like I might die or go insane if I can't do it!

--willo
#33 of 47 Old 01-13-2007, 11:08 PM

So...the house is....ummmm....let's see. I'm calling it "A River Runs Through It".

I spoke with the agent and he told me the house has been on the market for well over a year. The pictures were clearly taken when it first went on the market. And there has been a lot of flooding this year.

Enough so that the two trees in the pictures (the trees between the house and the stream) are no longer there...just big deep pools where tree roots used to be. The stream itself now runs UNDER the back of the house (the house is missing the back right corner of the foundation...about five feet one way and ten feet the other...and the floor of the house is just floating about four feet above the stream). The back door now opens into nothing and the steps that lead from that door end entirely IN the stream. And what looks like a fairly gentle little stream in the pictures is now a serious water way, with banks several feet high and a depth of several feet...I'm not sure how deep those pools were but it wasn't the sort of thing you'd want toddlers near!

So there is missing foundation, a seriously rotted sill and vertical beam that is just about the texture of a wet sponge, and due to the movement of the stream bed just about the only "fix" would be to jack the house up, redirect the stream (if legal/possible), build a retaining wall and back fill the area eaten away by the water, rebuild the foundation, and replace the sills/vertical supports. Or just lift the house and move it 20 feet to the left onto a brand new foundation. Which might be easier (though you'd still need to replace stuff...and considering the water damage I'm not certain you could even jack the place up without it folding in the middle).

Oh, and the house has been colonized by cats...we couldn't go upstairs due to the cats...so that's an issue in and of itself!

I'm sure there's a place out there for us...I'd love to live someplace near a stream. But ON a stream is a little out of my comfort zone!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#34 of 47 Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 AM

wombatclay on stream does sound a little too much, pity the pics looked so nice.

We are also moving, wel relocating from South Afria or England. So the packing has started. It is quite stressful but trying to be calm for baby. It has been a huge decision and i am still really sad but crime in South Africa has just gone past our comfort level.

We will move in beginning April but dh goes back off shore on 20 Jan and will not be back until we go so i have to know what to send in the shipping before he goes. It is going to be a long hard few months.

Poor dd will arrive in a new country, new house, no friends and a sibling will arrive ina few months, poor thing- tryint to prepare her but talking about having the baby and birth is so much easier than about moving.

Going to see the midwife for the fist time on Tuesday
#35 of 47 Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

's to all the mamas who have to move during pregnancy. That must be hard work!

Wombat: You could have a waterbirth in the river that runs through your house! I've also heard that cats can be very attentive during labor so you could have 20+ little furry doulas assisting your home waterbirth

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#36 of 47 Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Jilian, you do manage to always find a bright side, don't you?

And here I was cringing at what the sound of running water would do to me with those middle of the night bathroom runs....
#37 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 PM

I LOVE the doula cat idea!

That realy stinks Wombat!!! That house really did look so cute in the pictures. You're lucky though. if we wnated to buy a house in a drug filled neighborhood around here where I live it would be about 80-90k. so ho hum a pigs bum we're just moving to another rental in a "pretty nice" area. Have you checked bank forclosurer sights? Our friends just got a house in the "nicer side" of the 90k's for 61k by going to a house auction. they had to have a check for 10% down though.

I tooooo and with you all about moving in Pregnancy... DP is away on business this morning till Wed and we are moving this coming week end... I am less than thrilled about packing the house myself and Sally I know we're not moving countries but I understand what you mean about explaining moving to a toddler. I just keep telling DD how we are all going to move to a new house and live there together... with "Mommy and Daddy and the dog and the cats and her blankie and her bed and mommys bed and her soccer ball..." and you get the point. She kind of likes the little game of naming things that will come to the new house with us... just thought I would mention how we are addressing it.

A last question for you ladies... I'm going to mention it to the midwife too but in early may... around the 4th I think, (I'm due june 5th) I was looking to go with the family on a camping trip/retreat type Beltaine festival for three days and two nights in CT (we live in NY). We would be driving not flying but we would be camping.... in a tent.... with a porta-potty near by! (lol)... What are every ones thoughts on this? It looks like soooooooo much fun and DP was so genuinly excited that I REALLY want to go but we weren't sure about camping while being that pregnant and fairly far from home. Any thoughts?
#38 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I'm going to mention it to the midwife too but in early may... around the 4th I think, (I'm due june 5th) I was looking to go with the family on a camping trip/retreat type Beltaine festival for three days and two nights in CT (we live in NY). We would be driving not flying but we would be camping.... in a tent.... with a porta-potty near by! (lol)...

I almost went to Pennsic (large outdoor, two week long, porta potty, tent living, medieval event) when I was pregnant with DD. We decided aganist it (I was on modified bedrest) but I think that, looking back, it would have been fine. I know I missed having gone later on when I realized that it's a lot easier to be pregnant at a festival than it is to be "mama of crawling babe" at a festival that involves a lot of fire pits and "shiny pointy things".

I did fly to central Alaska (from upstate NY) when I was 7.5 mo pregnant. Again I did a lot of research into hospitals near my destination and in each "flight layover" city and brought my medical records along for the ride. It was a looooong trip, my ankles didn't recover till well after DD was born, I don't recommend day long plane adventures into -40 degree/no sunlight climates when extremely pregnant...but it was a great experience overall and one I don't regret at all!

This time round dd2 is due early June and we are planning on going to Pennsic in mid August as long as everyone is in good health...we're going to get a hotel instead of doing the camping thing (newborn and newborn's mama demand running water and air conditioning!) but I think Laia will love it (and not fall into any fire pits this time), the new babe will sleep through it (yay slings!), and DH and I have been missing Pennsic for 4 years now so we really want to get there this year.

Obviously check in with your midwife/care provider and research the birthing options near the festival site. And be willing to back out if you just don't "feel right" at the time...but I think it sounds like fun! You'll be the star of any mama/fertility rituals, that's for sure!

(but I have to confess...my SIL's wedding is the second week of May and I am planning on pulling the "too pregnant to travel" card. We're in upstate NY, the wedding is on the Jersey Shore...and we've been told the entire hotel is "no children allowed" for the whole weekend. So I'm supposed to leave my nursing toddler at home for four days right before the new sib arrives? Ummmm....no.)

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#39 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Brrrr. It's so cold here! It was 1 degree when I was out this morning.

I'd like to know about everyone's thoughts on traveling too. The last few years we have gone to see DH's parents for Mother's Day weekend, and it is always so nice to get out of town. This year that is about 5 weeks before my due date, but they live about the same distance from our birth center that we do. It's still a long drive though-we'd be in the car about 6 hours, but DH will stop as often as I want him to. (He's a sweetheart!) What do you think?

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#40 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:09 PM

oooooo I say if it's something you enjoy and especially with your first babe, DO IT!!!!

Especially since it's the same distance to the borthing center!
Mothers day is such a great time when your pregnant too and "last trips" before kids are always fun(not that they are not fun with kids but you know what I mean).

We drove 5 1/2 hours to Baltimore when I was 6 months preg with DD and stopped (ALOT) when I needed to use the bathroom or just walk around. It was a nice trip that was suppose to be short and inexpensive but we ended up staying an extra day because it was HOT and I wanted to go swimming! lol so we sprung for a king size bed in a NICE hotel with an indoor pool and it turned out to be a GREAT trip! I'm sooo glad we did it! We've gone back to baltimore each year with DD but it's just not quite the same. I think it will be mroe fun when she's older, they have lots of fun science museums!

And wombat, Pennsic sounds like lots of fun!!! We're really excited about this event in May too! LOL... come to think of the fertility thing, I hope tons of people aren't rubbing my belly for luck! OH welll, if helps I suppose! lol
#41 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
tls

OMG Wombat, you're part of the SCA? I used to participate until I got married and had kids. My DH is not into it at all. I've never been to Pensic but have done several camping events and loved them. How exciting!

I have a wedding to go to at the end of April and its about 5 1/2 hours away. I'm not sure yet if we'll go or not as much as I'd like to go. I guess we'll have to see how I'm feeling at that point in time.

We got our 1st real significant snowfall finally. I mean for goodness sake I'm in Minnesota and our first real big snowfall wasn't until January 14, sheesh!! I have been enjoying the above freezing weather, however. Its been nice not having to bundle up the kids in 50 layers just to take them to school and daycare. I guess its time to start waking up 10 minutes earlier each morning so I can get the kids ready to go.
#42 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM

TLS- yup

My dad was a SCA-dian when I was a mini-me...his persona was a monk and I was his "penance" (my mom hated SCA and would never attend events). When I met Dh in college it turned out he was involved in the SCA too (with his mom, and had been since he was about 10).

We were part of the Dominion of Myrkfaelinn in college, but we're actually members of a larger household (not geographically based) that usually gathers at Pennsic...Clan Hamilton (part of the Highland Alliance). Dh and I had been really good, making it to Pennsic 11 years in a row! But then I was pregnant, then Dh was unemplyed and I'd used all my leave to stay home a few extra days with DD, and then...well...it's been three years and if we don't go this summer I'm gonna jump off of something!

But I love the SCA, even though we don't attend many of the local Myrkfaelinn events (it's still a college group, but as "adults" the vibe is a bit odd) especially since they are scheduled during my work hours (I work a lot of evenings and weekends). But it's still a wonderful group...and the SCA as a whole is so much fun.

Is there a specific element your DH doesn't like? Maybe his views have changed, or would change if he saw a different aspect of the society?

#43 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
tls

Wombat-DH just thinks everyone in SCA is weird . He doesn't have much in common with any of my friends and just can't get into it. I've talked about all different aspects and nothing interests him. Its ok, I'm too busy now anyways to be involved anymore. I was also a member of the cast at the MN Renaissance Festival which I loved too but its too much work with a family to keep it up. Perhaps when the kids are older and if they show some interest I'll get into it again. However, I'd need to make all new garb since I'm a bit larger now then I was pre children .
#44 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM

And just so everyone will have an idea what TLS and I are going on about...

Pennsic site (check out the photos...) http://www.pennsic.net/index.html
SCA site (the official, and kinda boring site) http://www.sca.org/

Random picture of me at Pennsic last time we went (so, errrr, 3 years ago)... http://www.pennsic.net/cgi-bin/ppd.c...&id=1057111494

My persona is early Irish so thankfully all my garb is pretty flexible and nursing friendly (actually, in that picture I'm not wearing "real" garb...it was early morning and that's my sleep tunic)...I attended a SCAdian wedding a few weeks before we learned I was pregnant (hmmmm, last SCAdian wedding we went to was the day before I tested positive with dd1. Maybe there's something in the water?) and everything fit fine. I even cobbled together some baby gard for dd out of linen dish towels!

#45 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM

More SCAdians! I guess it only makes sense that we'd show up here! I started playing in the then-region (now Kingdom) of Ealdormere, and moved out to the East Kingdom in '97. I actually met DH at a meeting - I'd been involved with L'Ile du Dragon Dormant for about six months, and he walked into fight practice looking for this medieval thing he'd heard about...

We're in Ruantallan now, but haven't been involved much since October or so - we moved apartments and it's not as convenient to get into fight practice as it used to be. That, and our current Baron and Baroness are stepping down in the summer and the politics are probably going to get messy.

We both play Tudor/Elizabethan, so I have to make myself a new kirtle and loose gown if we go to anything this spring. War Camp (July 1st weekend) is going to be right out!

I wonder if there's enough of us for a SCAdian hobby thread?
#46 of 47 Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM

I haven't had the chance to get into SCA yet, and with this little one on the way, I'm not sure when I'll get a chance. I played NERO for about 10 years, lots of fantasy and magic, the chance to be someone else for the weekend, and not strict at all about the time periods. I haven't gotten to that in a couple of years though. Listening to you makes me miss my fantasy time. Time to go curl up with a fantasy novel for a while.
#47 of 47 Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM

We are nominally involved in the SCA as well. Actually, in our area, it is pretty nice to bring our toddler DS. He gets us to meet people we'd be too shy to talk to.

I discovered the SCA in 3rd grade when they came to my school and did an educational event. I thought it was the best thing ever. I remembered the name, but couldn't find them. (I remember looking in the phone book sometime around age 14. This was pre-internet!) My college was too tiny to have a chapter, and I didn't think to look at Cornell, plus I guess I was busy with my own school's activities.

Anyway, we started attending occasional events here in the Carolingia (Boston, MA) area the year before DS was born. We've kind of gotten to know some people from Canton of the Towers (North of Boston), and that's helped. These are the folks with lots of young kids. There was an all youth event here last summer. DS loves SCA events. He associates putting on a tunic with going to a party.

My persona is 13th century Spanish Jew, so loose tunics are the order of th day. Excellent for pregnancy! I will need to do some with front slits to do any events while nursing, however.

Anyway, I could see doing a SCAdian mama thread around here. (There's an SCA Parents Yahoo group, but it is lightly populated.)

In other news, we are cold, too, but luckily we didn't get the ice/snow they thought might make it here from that midwestern storm. Tomorrow is supposed to be 20 degrees max (but feeling much colder with the wind chill.) I'm glad we don't have school on Wednesdays. I walk DS there, and it is right by the ocean. BRRR!

My in-laws are both unwell at present. FIL broke his hand New Year's Day (and required surgery for it.) MIL had an attack of neuralgia yesterday and is in so much pain she can hardly move or do anything, plus she can't lay down. I feel terrible for them both, plus this makes the third week in a row that I've had scheduling issues (no babysitters!) making me have to alter/cancel my work hours. It is frustrating as I'm *NOT* the kind of person who flakes out of work, but what can you do when you don't have childcare! Arg!

--willo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page