*~ Weekly Thread January 10 - 16 ~* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another week down, only 21-24 more to go (depending on when you're due). We're all coming up on the half way point! Is everyone starting to show now? I know my belly has really popped out in the past week or two. Strangers are starting to notice I'm pregnant, YAY!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM

I've done a super pop too! lol

every now and then I catch a glimpse of my shadow or profile and i think

"awww how cute!"
#3 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM

So I've heard people talking about popping out, but I never realized exactly how sudden it would be. This week, woah!! My large bathroom mirror is directly across from the shower so each time I get out I get a head on look and then a side view as I go for the towel. Is that really me? I'm loving this belly curve, but it's still startling. The women I work with have been having a blast now that I'm so visible. It's fun to be able to make that many people smile just by walking into a room.
#4 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM

i feel i finally just popped this weekend. students at school are asking if i'm pregnant, and their responses are so enthusiastic and sweet. it is nice to make people smile by just being round! i'm 16 weeks today, so i'm glad to look a little pregnant. i can still camoflage it if needed, but i don't want to! i feel like i finally look pregnant instead of just chubby in the middle. whenever i gain weight it's in the middle, so that was irritating me a bit now i'm happily rounded! i have to take some pix quick as i hear the growth just comes in bursts...is that true?
#5 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM

i've "popped" too. so much fun! i'm supposed to have an 18-week appt tomorrow, but it's snowing like crazy and we don't live in an area that usually gets snow, so i'm not sure if it will happen. other than some annoying contractions and lack of 2nd trimester energy burst, all is great. i'm feeling lots of kicks which is so much fun. and i can't believe how FAST this pg is going. i'm sure i'll be singing a different tune come may, but for now. wow, is it flying!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#6 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 PM

My belly is really starting to take a nice round shape, but the most exciting thing about this week for me is that my baby has really started moving. It is moving all the time. And not just movement - kicks! It is so fun to feel a little kick here and there.
#7 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Isn't it great having a weekly thread that's mostly about how cute our bellies look and how good it feekls to be kicked as opposed to how sick we are and how much the thought of food disgusts us!?!?!?
#8 of 47 Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
Isn't it great having a weekly thread that's mostly about how cute our bellies look and how good it feekls to be kicked as opposed to how sick we are and how much the thought of food disgusts us!?!?!?
haha, I agree! (Although I still can't stand the sight of tomato sauce for some reason) I haven't really "popped" yet that I know of, but that baby is getting bigger. We can feel the kicks on the outside of my belly now, although it's hard to time those. Most of the time I am the only one that can catch them. I'm not complaining too much. I love having the feeling being mainly all for me at the moment. I am just enjoing it.
#9 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 AM

Oh sleep, where have you gone? Why these nightly wakings and then you just disappear? I long to be able to curl up and go back to sleep and I don't like laying awake for hours!!!!!!!

:
#10 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 AM

Crabby. Up peeing all night. Belly big. Voracious appetite. Feeling oogie.:
#11 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM

I've popped! It's pretty obvious to everyone now but I haven't had any strangers say anything yet. People at church are so excited-they went for years without any babies in the church and now we will have 3 within a year! So far that is! Movement is still fluttery, but I am pretty sure I felt a kick last night right before I drifted off. I can't wait for DH to feel the baby. His birthday is in 3 weeks and I hope he gets to feel the baby kick before his b-day is over. My next appointment is Tuesday.

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#12 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
tls

Could it be possible that I am already nesting? I spent all evening last night doing chores which I NEVER do. I even emptied all my drawers and replaced my clothes with maternity clothes. EEK!!! :
#13 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I had an appointment with WIC today and got the third degree on weight gain I guess according to their "charts" I haven't gained enough yet : The bad part is I even lied to them about my starting weight to make it look like I gained more than I did. I've really gained 2.5 lbs so far, but my belly has really popped out. I was really nauseaus for a long time and that is why I haven't gained much yet. I hate being compared to some dumb chart. My MW is not at all concerned, I'm eating healthy and frequently and that is all that matters. But WIC wants me to come back for a weight check in a month

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Jillian I totally understand the weight gain thing, I too have only gained 2.5 lbs, but that is how I was with the last pg too. All in all last time I only gained 23 lbs, but had an 8#2oz baby, so I truely believe my body knew what It was doing. Like you I eat a lot and goo d healthy, weight gaining food, trust your body,and just make sure your eating well, don't go by what a chart is "supposed to" say IMO

My belly has really popped too at 18.5 weeks, really round like a ball, I am feeling good, except for having trouble finding comfortable positions to sleep, better get used to it I guess.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#15 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm starting to get comments along the lines of "are you pregnant?" so I guess it's official.

I've gained around 8 pounds so far but we don't have a very good scale. I'm curious to see what numbers come up at the doctor's office next week.

It's so neat to think we're just about half way! I'm still getting moments of "morning sickness" and still finding it difficult to eat many of the foods I know I should...last time I was feeling fine by the second trimester. This time though, I feel like I'm running behind. I need more sleep but with a job and a toddler I don't really have a lot of "me" time when I can take a long shower and go to bed early/sleep in late. DH does help a lot but he works more or less from 7am till 8pm and doesn't have a lot of energy left over either. And since I work Sun-Thur and he works Mon-Fri we only overlap as a two-parent-house for one day a week...meaning Sat is an insane day of errands and chores. Sigh. I'm sure once the babe arrives I'll look back on this and laugh at how much time I "had" but for now I just want a nap!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#16 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 PM

I love how we are all popping around the same time. This is so much fun. My biggest change this week is that I'm now getting hungry all the time. I eat and then an hour or so later I'm hungry again!! I'm trying to eat healthy snacks though because, unlike some of you, I'm not having any problems gaining weight.
#17 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 PM

well, i've only gained 5 pounds so far at this halfway point. i have big babies, so i, too, just feel like my body is just doing what it does! my mom didn't gain hardly anything either.

today i washed out a hand-me-down infant carseat! it's all ready for the baby now, complete with the anti-head wobbling sheepskin thingy! my daughter put her baby doll in it, and has been playing with it. now i guess i just put it in a trash bag to protect it from the garage mayhem! i bought diaper pails at the used kid's store yesterday, so i'm just going down the list! i'll probably be all ready to go by march or something, and then what?

i've been planning some trips...to san fran with my daughter for chinese new year, to the hot springs spa (where they cook amazing food for you!), to portland/seattle for spring break with the family, and an overnite "date" to mt. shasta with my sweetie (as it will be a LONG time after the baby til we do that again!). so now i have some things to organize other than baby stuff, and some things to look forward to between now and the baby!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#18 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Well I don't have a scale so I'm not positive, but I did weight myself at the Y the other day and I would guess I've gained somewhere between 5 and 8 pounds... hard to know for sure because I've never used that scale before. I think last time around was about the same at this point.

Felt Tonto (that's what we call him/her) kick today for the first time. I'd been unsure before, but this one was a definite double kick. My daughter celebrated by zerberting my belly (her communication of choice with the babe)... it was very fun.

Other than that... just day by day trying to eat decently, sleep enough and enjoy growing this babe.

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#19 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM

I've found myself very droopy and mopey the past two days. : Now, I always find Jan-Feb to be a tough time of year--family visits all done, weather grim, nothing exciting on the calendar for MONTHS...

But it's been a bummer couple of days.

I've also been ravenous, constantly. Today I ate and ate until I felt over-stuffed and unwell... and as soon as the over-full feeling subsided, I needed to eat AGAIN.

I think the move to my maternity pants is not helping my mood. 1) I lost weight last spring and was so proud of my relative slimness. 2) Because I was 15 pounds heavier when I got pg with DS, I think my maternity pants are all a size too big. Everything feels baggy and ugly.

Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down.

--willo
#20 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Willo, I know what you mean about feeling blah. I've been feeling kind of yucky the past few days too, and I HATE how my clothes fit. Maternity shirts still look like tents on me but my non-maternity shirts are so tight and small that my belly hangs out the bottom. I wish I could either fit into my old clothes or be big enough to fill out my maternity clothes!

I have the same issue with eating and I ate WAY too much pasta tonight and now I just feel bloated and overfull. I'm sure I'll be starving again in 20 minutes. One minute I'm full and the next minute I have to eat ASAP.

Your not bringing the mood down, I'm sure everyone can relate to how you're feeling

#21 of 47 Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 PM

At 19 weeks, I still look like I have a post-pregnancy-flabby-belly I definitely look pregnant when unclothed, but to the average person, I probably just like beer!

I had a really good day yesterday - I got 3 weeks of clean laundry sorted and put away, and even mowed the front and side lawn for an hour. But today I was miserable; on the verge of vomiting all day and heartburn-y. I need a good rest.

My Dr gave me Ambien because I'm not sleeping and it wiped me out for 16 hours - not a good idea when you have 2 toddlers to take care of full-time. I'm so tempted to take it again ... but I'm so scared of the after-effects. I just really want one good night of sleep! I caught a few Zs this afternoon while ds#2 napped on my tummy - but it wasn't very relaxing.

Oh, and I'm eating like a pig. Fatty, salty, fried - you name it! Blech!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#22 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 AM

I had a midwife appointment today and have put on 5lbs. at just under 18 weeks. I can't of any reason why a medical practionier would be worried about weight - unless you were underweight before you got pregnant (i.e. bmi was very low) - otherwise, who cares - the baby only weighs like 8 oz. (1/2 lb!). My last two pregnancies I put on 20-22lbs and had 8lb babies so weight isn't everything. I am convinced I will put on more weight this time around because I lost a fair bit of weight (10 lbs.) from my pre-preggo weight with #3 - so I have some ground to make up. I am still 5 lbs of that weight so I am happy! My husband did make a comment about not eating two brownies tonight with my tea - wouldn't want me to be a whale!!! (I am 5'9" and 145 lbs at 18 weeks pregnant - so not too big!) He is a bit weight obsessed.

Otherwise - all is well. Feeling good, have felt a bit of movement but heard the hb clearly today so relieved.

Oh, and celebrated my baby's first birthday last week - can't believe it has been a year!
#23 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Willo dont worry, it can't rain all the time.

I was having that same kind of day, well a few days recently. With the move and packing and DH being a selfish jerk it's been rough. I kind had it out with him the other morning and then felt a bit bad about it. I pretty much just told him all things that were driving me batty, about how I feel like I give him an inch and he takes a mile and how I know he's tired from work and just wants to play video games but that after spending all day alone with a 2 year old I need some adult interactions and I want him to be my FRIEND!!!!!

I guess he got the hint... we were up untill 2 am last night having chit chat, some serious, some silly adult talking time... with a bit of a pillow fight some where in there

It was nice... the fun loving guy I fell in love with!

oh and the weighty issue... ha ha I gained over 50lbs with DD1 and didn't lose it all so started this one off much heavier! in the two to three month span when I came in for a visit I had gained 5lbs... they told me to watch it! HA, so in the three to four month span... you know ladies, thanksgiving through CHIRSTMAS (COOOOOOOOOOKIESSS) I only gained ONE POUND!! I was impressed for even a non preggo person

So I'm up 6lbs from the start which isn't aweful but I'm trying like all heck not to pack it on like last time... I know I'll hit at least the same top number : simply because I started out so much higher but I'm trying desperatley not to go over it... which will be a struggle for me, lose about 10lbs of fat to make room for 10lbs of amniotic fluid, baby, breast and what not.
#24 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM

Willo~ Sounds like we're paddling around in the same canoe...

I was really energetic and upbeat during the holiday season but now I'm just sort of *bleah* and dragging my butt around trying to get things done. I think part of my mood is just exhaustion (from the holiday) and needing more recovery time, and another part is due to me having gained a full 15 pounds since the start of my pregnancy (five of which I'm CERTAIN must have gone to my bust..). My body has never carried this much weight before and the three months of hypermesis wasted a lot of my muscle mass and so carrying it is more of a burden. It's ok though--I'm taking measures to overcome the discomfort. Walking the dog a mile or so, twice a day is helping get the blood pumping and my husband and I are continuing our weekly workout schedule. I know I'm going to gain more weight so my goal is to be able to comfortably carry it.

Did anyone else "pop out" early and sort of stay that size for awhile? I think that's what I did. Also, in the morning I always look the same size and at night before I go to bed I'm bloated and enormous! Guess I know what to expect in coming months.
#25 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelleaux View Post

Did anyone else "pop out" early and sort of stay that size for awhile? I think that's what I did. Also, in the morning I always look the same size and at night before I go to bed I'm bloated and enormous! Guess I know what to expect in coming months.
My belly got really round and stuck out a bit at 8 weeks or so and then stayed the same size til about 15 weeks, then it took off. My belly also seems so much bigger and tighter at night. I think it's from being stuffed from dinner. Last night it felt like it was going to burst.

#26 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 11:02 AM

I've noticed that later in the night my body must be swollen because my rings feel sooooooo tight and uncomfortable.
#27 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Willo, I can deffinately understand the blues, I was considdering talking to my mw about it at the next visit, Hang in there, better times are coming!

Anyway, my belly feels so tight and big at night and kind of soft and less tight in the morning, It is such a strange thing, but I feel the baby better in the A.M. when there is less belly and food to get in the way, so I look forward to the morning belly.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#28 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

So it's probably hormones...but DH and I really really want to move to a new house. We're crazy, right?

We have no money, a toddler, a baby on the way...and the only places we can afford would be way out of town so we'd need to get another car (and probably upgrade our current vehicle as well since it would need to handle distance travel in snowy weather...so 4wd is a must).

But...our current house (we bought it 4 years ago using a special "low income first time buyer" program) is in a transitional neighborhood. And while it has "transitioned" a lot in the last few years it's still not the sort of place you'd want to raise your kids. Lots of drug traffic right outside our door, a fair amount of gang related violence (some stabbings and shootings in the past few months), and several neighborhood residents who have "given up" and just let their properties go to ruin. So borded windows, overgrown yards filled with weeds and garbage (and this is downtown so a "yard" is about 10 feet by 20 feet so we're not talking a lot of land to maintain), garbage on the sidewalks, and a tendancy not to curb or clean up after pets so there's a lot of animal waste on the sidewalk.

We used to call the cops every night...sometimes a few times a night...and now we only call two or three times a week. And we've taken over our entire block in terms of sweeping and cleaning the sidewalk (we shovel the whole thing and clean the trash off it each day since no one else was willing to do it, and the city wont enforce the codes). But it's so discouraging. We have drunks urinaing on our porch a couple times each week (despite motion activated lights), drug sales in our side yard, dogs wandering where they will, and non-stop-traffic.

We've made a lot of improvements to the house, and the property value has about doubled, so we could probably sell pretty easily. But the house is really convenient to our jobs, the library, all the downtown things, a bus route, shopping, a great coffee shop...all sorts of great things.

On the down side, a move out of town would mean tripling our commute time and mean we'd need to drive everywhere (for shopping, etc). But we'd be able to relax at night and the girls would be able to play outside.

And there is actually a place we're going to go look at tomorrow...it's in our price range, it needs A LOT of work, and it's a five minute walk to one of my close friend's homes (and she watches little ones during the day so if I need to keep working then there will be a wonderful AP mama who can watch the girls). I know it's insane, but I really really want this house to work out...our current house is driving me crazy!

I guess I realized when someone asked why I didn't want a homebirth and I thought about it...I haven't been able to feel "relaxed" in my own home in four years. The thought of birthing a baby here is actually unpleasant! So...fingers crossed that when we see the place tomorrow it isn't missing a roof or has a rotten sill or is about to fall down!

Yes...crazy....

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#29 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Wombat~

Sure, you sound crazy!

Just kidding

I have moved 50 times. I've lived in a lot of houses, apartments, duplexes, trailers--you name it. Some neighborhoods have been really nice and some have been pretty crappy, but the places I like living at the most were the ones where I wasn't constantly fretting about my personal space. One of my favorite homes was a crappy ole' trailer out on ten acres in the boonies. There were neighbors--if you really needed them--otherwise you were on your own.

Your'e right to be concerned about transportation, etc. Four wheel drive vehicles cost more to buy (the reliable kind anyway), cost more to operate, and drink a lot of gasoline. But on the flip side, when you're secure in your home you sometimes find yourself fleeing it less, and with a little practice you can also become a good day-trip planner. I used to pick two days a week to do in-town errands. It forced me to consider my meal plans and entertainment which saved me oodles of money. But boy, when you feel isolated it sucks so it pays to really think about if that lifestyle is right for you.

Have fun looking around!
#30 of 47 Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 PM

I grew up in a region of rural upstate NY that makes the location we're considering seem like Grand Central Station! My parent's home growing up had no electric and limited plumbing (we got some electric and an indoor bathroom when I was around 8, they still don't have electric thorugh the whole house). Heat came from a wood stove in the kitchen and a coal stove in the living room...which meant during the winter we all lived (ate, slept, cooked, read, etc) in those two rooms. DH grew up on a 50 acre apple farm also in rural NY.

The funny thing is that I became very focused on never ever living in such an isolated/low tech environment ever again while DH went the other direction and loves disappearing for a week to hike into the mountains and be "the only person in a hundred miles". But we do both have mad rural survival skills.

The house we're looking at (http://www.ithacarealtors.com/ibr_li...pe=residential) is in a small town...about 700 people. So there are paved roads, a post office, a five/dime. Our only vehicle right now is a KIA...it has 4wd (DH and I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have 4wd actually) but it's older than old. So not totally reliable for a daily round trip commute of ~2 hrs. And DH and I work opposite schedules to try and keep dd's care "in the family" as much as possible...so we'd need at least one more reliable vehicle (right now I walk the mile home from work each afternoon and take the bus there in the mornings) and we'd probably need to replace the KIA too.

Bleh!

But on the other hand, we've got lots of experience in fixing up un-loved homes older homes and as long as the foundation is in one piece and the sill isn't dead we could make a go of it. I do wonder though since the pictures more or less show the stream going through the back of the house! And the topo maps I found online also look like the house is sitting in the middle of the stream! If we rent out our downtown house we should be able to cover both mortgages. Which would be nice.

And I would LOVE to live someplace where I can't hear the guy in the next house beat his wife all night and where dd isn't picking up "crack baggies" in the park. I really don't want dd growing up around all this...

I'll have an update tomorrow night I think...I'm staying fairly reasonable (considering the hormones!) and figure there must be some SERIOUS damage to this place to create such a low price tag (29K...average home price in that area is 65K). But oh, it would be loverly to homebirth this new babe in a happy house!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page