Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this different from Hynobirthing?
#3 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 PM

I am planning on using the cd's Hypnobabies. I am going to get them this month. I don't know how often I will start listening to them, but as the pregnancy progresses I will listen more often. I was present at my sis's home birth and she used Hypnobirthing and totally sold me on it! It was really neat to see how it helped her. She used it different times during her labor: In the beginning, middle, and end.

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!
#4 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Hi! I'm from July '07 but just wanted to stop by to take a peek at what you ladies were talking about! I have the hypnobabies package, I listened to the positive birth affirmations cd once, but I haven't really "started" it all yet. I plan on starting it soon!
#5 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Sounds like hynobabies and hynobirthing are the same.

I am reading the book now and plan on up loading the cd's to my ipod...I just hope I can find the quiet time to listen!
#6 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 PM

I read a little bit of a hypnobirthing book at a friends house and got super psyched about it. I am hoping to find some classes in my area and if not I will get the cd's. I love how the book tells the history of birthing, so neat!

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#7 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Hypnobabies looks (even) more comprehensive to me, but I'm doing hypnobirthing b/c there are classes in my area but no-one teaching hypnobabies. DH definitely wants to take a class, with other couples, as part of our experience -- suprisingly since he's an IT guy so I thought he might prefer online or CD-driven instruction.

Anyway, I hope hypnobirthing "works" for me. Any personal experiences to share?

I'll be lurking to see what others have to say about hypnobabies too, just in case I can get my hands on some of the materials for not too much money...
#8 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 PM

HypnoBabies and HypnoBirthing are very similar but are actually different, branded, products. But just like everyone calls facial tissue "Kleenex" or refers to a photocopied item as a "Xerox"...the lines are blurred in daily usage!

I have the Monghan book and cd but have only listened to it once. And while I use the meditation exercises while falling asleep I'm having trouble getting "into" the material and theory behind it.

In terms of personal experience, I haven't used it (obviously!) but two friends have. It worked really well for one and not so well for the other. The one it worked for really loved it and said her birth was "nearly" pain free. The one who didn't like it so much said that as she reached the end of her labor (but with another 2-3 hours to go) she lost her focus state and couldn't get it back...and that she didn't have any "backup" coping mechanisms she could use instead. So while she still had her natural/drug free delivery she felt a little "betrayed" by the program (I guess her instructor told them they wouldn't need a doula or other support people, so she and her DH were sort of thrust into the end of labor on their own...they were at a birth center and the midwife was amazing, but it's not what they had wanted/expected)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM

I'm going to do Hypnobabies- my midwives actually have a copy I can rent for the rest of my pregnancy- I'll get it at my next appt with them the first week of Feb- and I plan to start listening to the CD's each night then. I like falling alseep to things like that.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#10 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM

hypnobirthing (the concept) broadly covers a lot of things. When you say "Hypnobirthing" (with a capital letter), you are usually referring to The Mongan Method, which is a single book with a single CD by one author. It is quite popular because it is cheap and easy to do on your own 0 look for it on Amazon. "Hypnobabies" is another hypnobirthing program, but it is a complete childbirth preparation course including weeks of classes (with an instructor or at home) and 6 CDs. It is much more comprehensive. And more expensive (www.hypnobabies.com).

I used Hypnobabies with my first birth and will do it again with this one. With either method, I think it is important to have a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks practice time before you hit 38 weeks. Hypnobabies is run in 5-week courses before you hit "maintenance," so I'm planning to start my program again at 32 weeks. I'm kinda surprised a pp said her friend was told they wouldn't need a doula or anything. Doulas can be really helpful with hypnobirthing, especially if your DH isn't 100% in the program! I'm a Hypno-Doula with the Hypnobabies program, and will be a attending a hypnobirth with the Mongan Method in March. I think a hypno-doula could be helpful for someone who loses their focus.

My personal experience from my birth with Hypnobabies - I really liked the practice sessions, but when labor started, it just didn't feel right for me to put my headphones on and seclude myself. SO I chose to listen to the CDs on our regular stereo, and I preferred the Affirmations and Special Place CDs to the Birth Day CD. It was so calming in my house...my MW fell asleep on the couch. My labor lasted for 17 hours, and 16.5 of those hours were painfree. I was getting uncomfortable, but the visualizations and relaxation I was able to achieve through the self-hypnosis were awesome. It is funny...you don't really know if it is working when it is working...but looking back on it, and knowing that even 30 minutes before my baby was born, I wasn't experiencing any pain, it MUST have been working. The last 30 minutes were tough, as I hit transition like a runaway train. BUT, my transition was only 15 minutes, and pushing was involuntary and only 15 minutes...so I think that is a fair trade for it being a rough finish. Now that I know what to expect, I hope that I can keep a handle on that transition this time.

I've known a good handful of moms who've achieved painfree births with Hypnobabies. I'm hoping to be one of them this time. Feel free to post more questions if you want.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#11 of 16 Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 AM

Firefly-- Your reply actually made me think harder about doing a hypnobabies (or similar) class this time.

I think I acheived something very similar to the state you describe during my first labor, having practiced relaxation (against an irritant like a bag of ice) with DH as homework from our Bradley classes for 12 weeks or so before the birth. I hadn't practiced it as a visualization, but I had a cloud of angels there with me that made the first 6 hours or so completely painless. (They looked like a Monty Python sketch--a big cloud with tons of arms and hands sticking out!)

But can hypnobabies or anything help you sustain this state if you must travel to a birth center or hospital? The only part of my labor I remember as hateful was going through transition in the car (and getting settled in at the hospital.)

I don't want a homebirth, but I'd love to know if that peaceful state can travel. It was amongst the most wonderous experiences of my life, but I feel like I just "lucked" into it. (Actually, I believe my DH's deceased grandmother came to help me, but I don't care if anyone else thinks so. )

--willo
#12 of 16 Old 01-31-2007, 04:26 PM

I have been considering this for #3. My first birth was really hard (due to castor oil <shudder>) but my second was wonderful - nice, slow and very manageable. The last hour was more intense, and the last 10 minutes was a little wild (I was at 10cm, but my water hadn't yet broken and I felt NO urge to push - so after another half hour of waiting, my MW broke my water and that's when it got pretty intense - she was born in 10 minutes!), but otherwise, it's my preference for this birth, too! I have a tape and a book - pretty sure it's the Mongan method. I liked it well enough. I would love to do Hypnobabies, but there really isn't anything in my area - and since the baby is due about 2 weeks after classes end, I really don't have the time to commute 90 minutes one way once a week. Thanks for the info!

firefly mama - was Lisa your MW? When I asked her about Hypnobabies, she said that she's seen it work really well and that she's fallen asleep during HB births! Was that you?
#13 of 16 Old 01-31-2007, 04:47 PM

hi, all----
i'm new to the board, i'm due June 7th and am very excited!

i'm really happy to see this thread because i am starting my Hypnobirthing class soon. as firefly mama explained, it's often referred to as the Mongan Method. I will be receiving my materials soon, so I'm not sure how many CDs/books are involved.

However, it does include 15 hours of private instruction by someone who is certified in Hypnobirthing, plus all of the homework/practicing that I'll need to do until I'm ready to deliver.

I'm really excited to get started and to hear of other people's experiences with hypnobirthing & hypnobabies.
#14 of 16 Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM

I can't find the kit I bought so I'm going to take the class. I'm hoping it will be in April.
#15 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Willo - I've known many women use Hypnobabies and travel successfully in the car. I wouldn't expect it to be quite as comfortable or controlled as when you are at home, but I think you can do it. This would be an important time to have headphones. And I know seatbelts aren't too helpful with getting comfortable, so many ladies I hear from end up in the backseat sprawled in whatever position...and that is important for them to maintain their concentration. But anyway, yeah...I think these hypnosis programs can help you maintain yourself in transit with the CDs. You really learn in your practice to cue into the music or voice instructions. You practice so much that it becomes habit. So keep those headphones on...go off to your special place...and maybe you won't even notice that you are in the car.

Alis - YES!!! That is me!!!! LOL...how funny. Have you used Lisa for your past births too? Do you go to potlucks? We usually go almost every month. We live on 18th street, so not very far away. Yeah, I think I was the first birth Lisa attended with Hypnobabies. She hadn't heard of it when I showed it to her in early 2005. Here's a link to my birth story: http://oregonstate.edu/~olsench/Birth%20story.htm I don't mention in it that Lisa fell asleep. It was mid-afternoon, and I was really calm and just handling things. I had the relaxation CDs on the stereo. I'd woken Lisa up at 6 am that day. It was also 100 degrees outside, and probably at least 90 in the house. Everybody was drowsy, except for me. I'm glad to hear she thought it worked well for me. We never really talked much about the program after the birth, but she and Meredith have asked me if I'm doing it again and if I'm doing hypnosis work in my doula practice too. Yeah, looking back...I think Lisa was caught really off-guard in the end that the birth was so imminent. I had no idea too. She didn't have any equipment out. Her assistant (Liz at the time) hadn't even left her home in Veneta. When my "transition" behavior started, I think she thought we had several hours to go...but in retrospect, I wonder if I wasn't already at 10ish cm...cause the "transition" only lasted 15 minutes and then my body pushed on its own. And pushing usually takes more time, and I had burning on the very first push and had a baby in 15 minutes. And she was my first. So I definitely think we were all caught off-guard with how fast things went in the end - whether that was TRULY my body going REALLY fast, or that the Hypnobabies had disguised my progress for so long, that I was actually much further along than we thought. So when in June are you due?

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#16 of 16 Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Cool!

No, we haven't used Lisa before because we moved up here from California. We had our two girls at home there, so this will be our first OR homebirth!

We went to one potluck, but since then I've been in school and we just don't have the time anymore. We also live in N. Corvallis, so it's a bit more of a challenge to get out in the evening. I had a great time there though, so we'll see how things go in the summer.

Thanks for the birth story link - I'll be sure to read it. It sounds wonderful - I love birth stories!

Maybe we'll meet up soon!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page